Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default unglue wood

On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 4:56:28 AM UTC-5, Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/6/2017 9:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/6/17 8:58 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 21:25:08 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/6/2017 6:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, November 6, 2017 wrote:

I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I have one
and want to replace it.

Is the crib still legal for use? How far apart are the
spindles/dowels on the sides and ends? Safety first.

Legality to use has nothing to do with present standards.Â* It is
illegal to manufacture, sell, donate cribs that do not comply with
new standard but the gestapo will not raid your house looking at
your crib.

However, if a kid dies, there will be some 'splainin' to do.

It is not smart to use a non compliant crib, of course.

To put it nicely.

One of my earliest childhood memories was getting my head stuck in the
spindles of my crib.Â* The fire department came and cut out a spindle to
set me free.
And set me free, they did.Â* After that, I would climb out of the crib
when I woke up in the morning and cause shenanigans until I woke up my
mom.Â* :-)

This was probably around 1970 and I don't know what the law was with
crib spindle spacing or if it was a homemade crib or what, but I'm sure
the spacing is closer than what it would take to get a kid's head stuck
in there.Â* :-)

Y'all are not helping helenmag. She is asking for advice on how to
remove a glued-in broken part on the crib so it can be replaced.

So pointing out an issue that might save a kid's life isn't "helping"? Really?

Not everyone realizes that an old crib might not be safe or compliant with today's
standard. Help can come in many forms.