Posted to rec.woodworking

Default drum sander as planer

mostly use my planer as a surface treatment and once complete requires
only a little sanding but i look at a drum sander and think that might
do the job too

with some coarse grit i would expect they could remove a lot of material

anyone have or use a drum sander

could a rough board maybe with paint and dents be quickly taken down

the open drum sander would be great since it allows much wider pieces to
be sanded

almost a doubling of capacity

know they are not silent but they have to be quieter than a planer

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 7:16:51 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
mostly use my planer as a surface treatment and once complete requires
only a little sanding but i look at a drum sander and think that might
do the job too

with some coarse grit i would expect they could remove a lot of material

anyone have or use a drum sander

could a rough board maybe with paint and dents be quickly taken down

the open drum sander would be great since it allows much wider pieces to
be sanded

almost a doubling of capacity

know they are not silent but they have to be quieter than a planer

Take a picture of it so we can see how loud it is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 07:57:37 -0400
"dadiOH" wrote:

Yes

good and it seems to be much quieter than a planer

https://www.youtube.com/embed/yHy47X434rc

even spiral cut planers

Posted to rec.woodworking

A drum sander and a planer functionally overlap, but while
there are tasks suitable to both, many tasks are only
suitable for one or the other.

One cannot reasonably replace a planer with a drum sander,
particularly for surfacing roughsawn lumber in any significant
amount.

Nor would one use the planer for fine surface prep.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/29/2017 2:09 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
A drum sander and a planer functionally overlap, but while
there are tasks suitable to both, many tasks are only
suitable for one or the other.

One cannot reasonably replace a planer with a drum sander,
particularly for surfacing roughsawn lumber in any significant
amount.

Nor would one use the planer for fine surface prep.

Precisely on all counts. I have both and both do their jobs but not the
others jobs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote:

Yes

good and it seems to be much quieter than a planer

It is, the necessary dust collector isn't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
news
A drum sander and a planer functionally overlap, but while
there are tasks suitable to both, many tasks are only
suitable for one or the other.

One cannot reasonably replace a planer with a drum sander,
particularly for surfacing roughsawn lumber in any significant
amount.

What is a "significant amount"? I've done at least 1000+ board feet with
mine. Not all at once, just whatever I needed for the current project.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
news
A drum sander and a planer functionally overlap, but while
there are tasks suitable to both, many tasks are only
suitable for one or the other.

One cannot reasonably replace a planer with a drum sander,
particularly for surfacing roughsawn lumber in any significant
amount.

What is a "significant amount"? I've done at least 1000+ board feet with
mine. Not all at once, just whatever I needed for the current project.

Do you have both a drum sander and planer/thicknesses to compare ? I have
a 15" stationary thicknesses and a 22/44" drum sander. The thicknesses
removes material about 15 times faster than the drum sander, but the
surface has to be sanded for final prep. It takes about 4 passes to remove
1/16" with my drum sander and each pass take 2-4 times longer than with
the thicknesses.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
dadiOH wrote:

[...]

No to planer and I am sure it is faster. As to how much I can remove per
pass with the sander, depends on what wood and how wide. Using 40 grit
abrasive, I could easily take off 1/16" at full speed on a 4" wide piece of
butternut in one pass. To do the same on 12" oak would take 2, maybe 3,
passes at around half speed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" writes:

"Leon" wrote in message
dadiOH wrote:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
news A drum sander and a planer functionally overlap, but while
[...]

And how many times can you do this before the sandpaper is just paper?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/30/17 6:25 AM, Leon wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

[...]

I'd also take into consideration the wear on the sanding sleeves or
belts or whatever they're called.
You can removed exponentially more material per blade change than you
can per sleeve change.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" writes:

"Leon" wrote in message
dadiOH wrote:

[...]

Dozens and dozens. BTW, the abrasives are on cloth, "J" weight IIRC.

Posted to rec.woodworking

news

"dadiOH" writes:

"Leon" wrote in message
dadiOH wrote:

[...]

Actually, 100s and 100s would be more accurate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" writes:

"Leon" wrote in message
dadiOH wrote:

[...]

1/16th isn't very much when your surfacing roughsawn number.

of
butternut in one pass. To do the same on 12" oak would take 2, maybe 3,
passes at around half speed.

Slow, indeed.

And how many times can you do this before the sandpaper is just paper?

Dozens and dozens. BTW, the abrasives are on cloth, "J" weight IIRC.

Like Leon, I have both a 15" planer (Jet) and the Performax 22-44
sander. Even a 36-grit sandpaper strip can't remove the same amount
of material that the planer can in a single pass, and time is money.

Sure, the sander will work, but it's not particuarly efficient.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" writes:

"dadiOH" wrote in message
news

No to planer and I am sure it is faster. As to how much I can remove per
pass with the sander, depends on what wood and how wide. Using 40 grit
abrasive, I could easily take off 1/16" at full speed on a 4" wide piece
of
butternut in one pass. To do the same on 12" oak would take 2, maybe 3,
passes at around half speed.

And how many times can you do this before the sandpaper is just paper?

Dozens and dozens. BTW, the abrasives are on cloth, "J" weight IIRC.

Actually, 100s and 100s would be more accurate.

I've not had that experience with my performax, but then I typically
use it for finish (150-180-220) sanding and cleaning up the scallops
from the jointer/planer. The 220 strips don't last long before the grit is
ineffective/inefficient. Certainly not 100s of times. YMMV.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/30/2017 12:01 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
"dadiOH" writes:

"dadiOH" wrote in message
news

No to planer and I am sure it is faster. As to how much I can remove per
pass with the sander, depends on what wood and how wide. Using 40 grit
abrasive, I could easily take off 1/16" at full speed on a 4" wide piece
of
butternut in one pass. To do the same on 12" oak would take 2, maybe 3,
passes at around half speed.

And how many times can you do this before the sandpaper is just paper?

Dozens and dozens. BTW, the abrasives are on cloth, "J" weight IIRC.

Actually, 100s and 100s would be more accurate.

I've not had that experience with my performax, but then I typically
use it for finish (150-180-220) sanding and cleaning up the scallops
from the jointer/planer. The 220 strips don't last long before the grit is
ineffective/inefficient. Certainly not 100s of times. YMMV.

The heavier grits on the drum sander do last quite a long time if you
are not taking deep passes. I can easily, like dadiOH, get hundreds of
passes. As you well know, the trick is to not get the paper too hot in
a spot. If you take light passes the paper will last quite a long time.
The finest that I use is 120 however.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/30/2017 10:37 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/30/17 6:25 AM, Leon wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
news A drum sander and a planer functionally overlap, but while there
[...]

Exactly, I buy my sander rolls in bulk and cut to length my self. I
think I have the paper down to about $5~$6 each.