Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default drum sander as planer

On 6/30/2017 10:37 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/30/17 6:25 AM, Leon wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
news A drum sander and a planer functionally overlap, but while there
are tasks suitable to both, many tasks are only suitable for one
or the other.

One cannot reasonably replace a planer with a drum sander,
particularly for surfacing roughsawn lumber in any significant amount.

What is a "significant amount"? I've done at least 1000+ board
feet with mine. Not all at once, just whatever I needed for the
current project.

Do you have both a drum sander and planer/thicknesses to compare ? I
have a 15" stationary thicknesses and a 22/44" drum sander. The
thicknesses removes material about 15 times faster than the drum
sander, but the surface has to be sanded for final prep. It takes
about 4 passes to remove 1/16" with my drum sander and each pass take
2-4 times longer than with the thicknesses.

I'd also take into consideration the wear on the sanding sleeves or
belts or whatever they're called.
You can removed exponentially more material per blade change than you
can per sleeve change.

Exactly, I buy my sander rolls in bulk and cut to length my self. I
think I have the paper down to about $5~$6 each.