Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default drum sander as planer

dadiOH wrote:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
news
A drum sander and a planer functionally overlap, but while
there are tasks suitable to both, many tasks are only
suitable for one or the other.

One cannot reasonably replace a planer with a drum sander,
particularly for surfacing roughsawn lumber in any significant
amount.

What is a "significant amount"? I've done at least 1000+ board feet with
mine. Not all at once, just whatever I needed for the current project.

Do you have both a drum sander and planer/thicknesses to compare ? I have
a 15" stationary thicknesses and a 22/44" drum sander. The thicknesses
removes material about 15 times faster than the drum sander, but the
surface has to be sanded for final prep. It takes about 4 passes to remove
1/16" with my drum sander and each pass take 2-4 times longer than with
the thicknesses.