Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default drum sander as planer

"dadiOH" writes:

"dadiOH" wrote in message
news

No to planer and I am sure it is faster. As to how much I can remove per
pass with the sander, depends on what wood and how wide. Using 40 grit
abrasive, I could easily take off 1/16" at full speed on a 4" wide piece
of
butternut in one pass. To do the same on 12" oak would take 2, maybe 3,
passes at around half speed.

And how many times can you do this before the sandpaper is just paper?

Dozens and dozens. BTW, the abrasives are on cloth, "J" weight IIRC.

Actually, 100s and 100s would be more accurate.

I've not had that experience with my performax, but then I typically
use it for finish (150-180-220) sanding and cleaning up the scallops
from the jointer/planer. The 220 strips don't last long before the grit is
ineffective/inefficient. Certainly not 100s of times. YMMV.