Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A couple of comments on Ridgid tools

Right now, Ridgid is having all kinds of promotions on their battery powered tools. Some are just starting, some are ending, some reflect model changes, and some are online closeouts only. Too confusing for me.

So I called Ridgid and found out a couple of things I didn't know. First, Home Depot owns NO part of Ridgid. There are different relationships with Ridgid that have been explained at length here (sometimes correctly and sometimes not)as to ownership, Emerson Electric, Ridgid tools (plumbing), TTI, One World Technologies, etc.

The nature of my call was to understand what was warranted, and what wasn't, what qualified for a "LSA" (lifetime service agreement) and what didn't. It turns out where you buy and what you buy have different warranties.

Let's say you buy a Ridgid drill from company A. You bought it there because they had the same exact drill as the one in Home Depot, but the drill at HD was $50 more. This is where it is fun. If you bought the drill from company A, then you can only get a 3 year warranty on the tool and batteries. If you buy from HD, then as an HD policy, you can get an LSA on both tool and battery. However, you must register the tools regardless of where they are purchased with Ridgid to get a warranty of any kind.

So one of the contractor email offers I got was that if I bought their newest, brushless 18v compact hammerdrill/driver for $179, then I could pick out another tool to be delivered free, or 2 4amp batteries. The drill with its two batteries and charger qualifies for the LSA, as did the free tool. But, the batteries didn't qualify for an LSA, only 3 year. Batteries are considered an "accessory" so they don't get the LSA.

Unless you get the batteries in a kit. So any batteries that come with the HD kits of tool+batteries qualify for an LSA. Any bought separately, even at HD, only get 3 years warranty.

Next, I found that not all "new" tools, even unused, unregistered, and with all paperwork will qualify for warranties. Ridgid tools must be bought from a registered dealer (the Ridgid people wouldn't tell me any as I was talking to the warranty department) and have a store receipt that is recognized by Ridgid.

This is their way of fighting the old trick of buying the "bag O'tools" and then selling the ones you don't want or don't use to help mitigate the cost of the tools. You can go to EBAY and see "new" tools that are obviously new and even have paperwork and most even say that they came from a combo kit. Some sell for HD store prices. But, no warranty.

For me, I did the math and bought their compact hammer drill and newest high powered impact driver and 4 amp batteries. They are on sale for $249. In response to the Ridgid sale, "DeWalt days" has dropped their price on the equivalent (but not as powerful) package to $319.

The big difference is not just the money, but the fact that Ridgid has the LSA and DeWalt has a much more limited warranty of 3 years only on the tool and batteries. With that kind of warranty, I buy Ryobi (same warranty!).

Hope this helps someone that is looking at either tool brand.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2017 6:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

I bought my son an 18 volt Ridgid hammer/drill/driver and Impact Driver
with two batteries and charger for Christmas at HD. With that they
threw in cordless Ridgid circular saw in a separate box. IIRC $279.

I told him to register everything ASAP. He went a step further and
called. They echoed what you mentioned above, the batteries in the kit
have a LTW.

Thanks on the info about only certain dealers offering the LTM.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 May 2017 19:49:37 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/17/2017 6:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

How do they know which batteries come in the kit and were purchased
separately? Are the part numbers different?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2017 7:58 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 17 May 2017 19:49:37 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/17/2017 6:24 PM,
wrote:
[...]

I did not do the calling so I cannot say for sure but my son indicated
that when he registered the saw and drill that the batteries showed up also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/17 6:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

I've bought all my Ridgid stuff from Home Depot and I double check every
time I buy to make sure it's covered by their LIFETIME, Free Batteries
For Life warranty and I register religiously.

Having said all that... their drills/drivers etc. and batteries have
ALREADY lasted longer than any other cordless tools I've ever owned and
I've thoroughly abused and used them. So I'm sold.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/17 7:58 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 17 May 2017 19:49:37 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/17/2017 6:24 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Every Ridgid tool and battery has a unique serial number.
When you register for the warranty on their website, you must enter the
serial numbers.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 7:58:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:

How do they know which batteries come in the kit and were purchased
separately? Are the part numbers different?

The tools, batteries and chargers use a very sophisticated technology to keep things straight and to make sure that Ridgid isn't being scammed. While waiting on the warranty lady to have her supervisor make sure that she was completely accurate she gladly shared just how they do it.

First, the parts and pieces have permanently attached stickers with long serial numbers on them. Within those serial numbers are codes that tell the date of manufacture, the lot, the day of manufacture, and even how it was sold. For the kits, the coded dates cannot show a difference of more than 12 weeks between all the parts and pieces when you register. Their computer system will not let you register if there is a discrepancy. Also, the stickers have info that let Ridgid know if you bought the tool with a another kit, as a bare bones piece. With batteries, they are specifically coded to be included with a kit, or alternately as a separate purchase.

You get your tool back to your lair, charge the batteries, test out the tools, then go register. When you register, their system catches just about any mistake or attempt to register incorrectly upfront since they know when parts/pieces were manufactured, what their purpose was, where they wound up (in a kit or blister pack),and about when they were shipped.

The last bit of insurance for HD to make sure they have an honest buyer registering is that you must input numbers that come off the cash register receipt in the registration form page.

You wait up to two weeks while they check and verify all the information. Once completed, they send you an email verification and you are finished.

It takes a while, but it's worth it. And if for some reason you do get a lemon, even if the tool is registered you can take it back to HD within 90 days for a replacement or money back. They make it tough to say no to them.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 10:29:44 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

Having said all that... their drills/drivers etc. and batteries have
ALREADY lasted longer than any other cordless tools I've ever owned and
I've thoroughly abused and used them. So I'm sold.

Yeah, me too. I have a couple of sanders and a couple of drills I can't kill. The 5" ROSs I use don't see any fine finishing as they can't do it. But they have sanded off hundreds of feet of fascia and cleaned up a ton of wood. They are about 15 years old and still grind away. My two 12v small drills are now about 10 years old. When the batteries crapped out at about 8 years, I called Ridgid and they just sent me new ones.

The absolute longest I have ever had a DeWalt cordless last is 3 1/2 years. I still like the feel of the DeWalt drills a bit better, but not enough to walk away from the price difference AND the lifetime warranty. Of course, there is the performance, too. The newest models of the "GEN5 X" group have brushless motors, higher torque motors, and slightly different ergos with a new overmold rubber that is a little sticky. Tough to beat.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/17 11:17 PM, wrote:
[...]

The belt clips are worth their weight in gold.
Some of the newer (cheaper) models do not have them, so I look for that
and I won't by one without it.
There must be something to their lifetime battery warranty because I've
never had batteries last this long. I'm sure it has something to do
with Lithium Ion technology, but it must also have to do with the
integrated chip that controls voltage and heat.

I've worked with high current batteries in the audio/ video world for a
long time and I know that heat and over-current can be disastrous for
batteries. So having that chip that monitors and controls it must be
the key to their longevity.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/18/17 7:44 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/17/2017 6:24 PM, wrote:

[...]

The cynic in me suspects that Ridgid (leveraging an old respected name)
makes more selling your PII gathered during registration than they end
up paying out in warranty claims :-)

I haven't gotten any spam or junk mail from the info I used to register
and it's been several years.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
:

However, you must register
the tools regardless of where they are purchased with Ridgid to get a
warranty of any kind.

This is not correct, someone mis-spoke. It's not legal
to require registration for a warranty.

Now, registration could be required for a "lifetime
service agreement", but the basic warranty has to be
provided without registration.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 May 2017 20:44:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

That makes sense, on their side. I wonder how they get around this:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/16/700.7

Posted to rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2017 6:24 PM, wrote:

[...]

They sell the PII to data aggregators, where the data is used to
refine a picture of your purchasing habits. This refined data is then used
by the on-line advertising giants (google, facebook, et alia) to
target specific ads to you when you browse (modifies the google
search results) and when you visit third-party sites.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/18/2017 12:04 PM, wrote:

That makes sense, on their side. I wonder how they get around this:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/16/700.7

The full, 3-yr warranty is on everything; the LSA available is an
additional, optional, "perk" of the purcharser's choosing: "original
purchaser of an eligible product may elect to register for a free
Lifetime Service Agreement."

Must parse the stuff at the earlier link carefully; the lawyers were
busy, indeed! ")

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2017 6:24 PM, wrote:

[...]

I still don't think it's possible since I used a different browser,
without cookies or cache, on a different computer, in a different
location, to register the tools.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:

I haven't gotten any spam or junk mail from the info I used to
register and it's been several years.

They sell the PII to data aggregators, where the data is used to
refine a picture of your purchasing habits. This refined data is
then used by the on-line advertising giants (google, facebook, et
alia) to target specific ads to you when you browse (modifies the
google search results) and when you visit third-party sites.

I still don't think it's possible since I used a different browser,
without cookies or cache, on a different computer, in a different
location, to register the tools.

I think you might be surprised as to how good they are at
correlating information, particularly if they have your name.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Scott Lurndal wrote:

They sell the PII to data aggregators, where the data is used to
refine a picture of your purchasing habits. This refined data is then used
by the on-line advertising giants (google, facebook, et alia) to
target specific ads to you when you browse (modifies the google
search results) and when you visit third-party sites.

I clicked a link on an email I received from "Musicians Friend", and
have received 3 more emails from them in the next 2 days as well as
related marketing when I visit Yahoo. I've since marked the email
messages as "junk".... They are training me in ways that may backfire
on them.. .
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 11:37:04 AM UTC-5, John McCoy wrote:

This is not correct, someone mis-spoke. It's not legal
to require registration for a warranty.

Now, registration could be required for a "lifetime
service agreement", but the basic warranty has to be
provided without registration.

John

This is certainly true. I tend to write using common sense, applicability, and the reality of the way things actually work. All of us know about that legal caveat, and certainly, some lawyer seeking to make his bones in this world called companies to task as to requiring certain steps to be fulfilled before they would be obligated to provide warranties.

I would strongly urge anyone that feels like they don't have to register their products not to do so. I doubt that anyone really cares at all, but if it makes a point that you understand the law better than they do, go ahead.. One bit of warning though, it might be easier to register than to mount a lawsuit against HD/Ridgid over a $200 tool.

In context, I will certainly bow to the actual fact of the matter. However, if you decide to slam HD/Ridgid with their warranty, please do come back and let us know how it works out for you. Being right, and being righteous can be very, very expensive.

Now this will curl your toes... the registration group told me no receipt, no warranty!

Also, while we are being pedantic and literal, please note that your cite references only warranty CARDS. References abound to CARDS within that cite, but not one reference to electronic registration online. Dig away at Google and you will find the difference between a written document in hand and an electronic document. Does your cite with its most recent modification/update of 2015 address certain and particular consumer rights when registration is online? This could be of value to you since there is no other way to register Ridgid tools other than electronically. No CARDS, nothing referenced in your cite is used these days by Ridgid, nor have they been for several years. Electronic the whole way.

Surely you can find an additional cite that shows a victory over Ridgid (or a similar company) for an illegal warranty registration request.

I am thinking that the same type of lawyer that help get a judge/jury to decided that folks don't have to comply with the company/manfacturer's wishes even though they make the tool and a person doesn't have to buy it to begin with knowing the company rules could easily get that cite dismissed.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/19/2017 7:55 AM, dpb wrote:

PS. Hadn't heard of your accident, before, either, Robert; here's
hoping your rehab does go well...and let's not do that again, ok?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2017 12:37 AM, wrote:
[...]

EGGactaly. MY BIL used to tell me not to worry about parking in Such
and Such parking space or risk being towed, if you don't walk into the
proper store. He worked for an attorney. I looked at him and said
while it may be true that they can't legally enforce the warning signs I
don't want to come back and find my vehicle gone, and then have to go
through all the proceedings to get it back and my parking storage
expense reimbursed including having a lawyer involved.
It is easier to simply park two spaces over, on in the context of this
case, register the product.

In context, I will certainly bow to the actual fact of the matter.
However, if you decide to slam HD/Ridgid with their warranty, please
do come back and let us know how it works out for you. Being right,
and being righteous can be very, very expensive.

Now this will curl your toes... the registration group told me no
receipt, no warranty!

IIRC that is pretty much a long time rule with anyone. If you can't
prove you did not steal it, they don't have to repair it. LOL

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/19/2017 8:50 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/19/2017 12:37 AM, wrote:

Now this will curl your toes... the registration group told me no
receipt, no warranty!

IIRC that is pretty much a long time rule with anyone. If you can't
prove you did not steal it, they don't have to repair it. LOL

I'd urge you to read the actual terms/conditions statement on the Ridgid
web site. It doesn't say that at all.

I can understand why the staff may be coached to tell folks to have
their receipt; it will provide them the longest possible coverage time
beginning at date of sale instead of manufacture, but the actual
warranty is valid as req'd by law for any tool in the class of tools
that have the 3-yr warranty.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/three-year-limited-lsa

"3-Year Limited Warranty

RIDGID® Brand Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools, and
Pneumatic Tools are automatically covered under a 3-year Limited
Warranty. This 3-Year Limited Warranty begins from the date of purchase
shown by a valid receipt. If a valid receipt is not available, the 3
year limited warranty period begins from the date of manufacture on
originally purchased equipment. For batteries and chargers, if the
receipt is not available, and the battery/charger serial code differs
from tool console more than 12 weeks, the origin of the battery/charger
cannot be verified. In this case, the tool serial code must be used to
verify warranty, NOT the battery/charger serial code. Note that all
accessory batteries and chargers sold separately must have a valid
receipt to verify warranty status since they are not sold with a tool
console in a kit."

In its entirety; preceding paragraph is "Recon Limited Warranty" and
subsequent cover the much more involved Lifetime Service Agreement
conditions which is not a warranty by legal definition and hence can
have all kinds of conditions applied.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 8:26:08 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

PS. Hadn't heard of your accident, before, either, Robert; here's
hoping your rehab does go well...and let's not do that again, ok?

Thanks! It is more difficult than I thought it was going to be, more painful, too.

Sadly, I have been involved in all kinds of job site accidents, and the only time I really get hurt is doing simple stuff. I pay a lot of attention when doing anything remotely dangerous, but as with this, I wasn't paying attention and was already thinking of being back on the job. I have come to appreciate that with 60 in the rear view mirror, things aren't as elastic, forgiving, or heal nearly as fast as they used to. I won't be jumping off the side of the truck again.

Thanks for the follow up on the warranty info. I must confess that I didn't go to their website to read their info as I was only concerned with the LSA when I was talking to them, which as you pointed out is completely different from a warranty. I am honestly impressed (and very surprised) that they will honor a warranty without a receipt, even if it is for 30 minutes.

I don't have any problem registering with them. I have been buying on the internet for years and it is too late for me to save myself. Like -MIKE-, I have never received one piece of spam or unwanted emails from all the registrations. I have my spam/trash blocker tuned up and it catches almost everything, and at this point for all of us living in the electronic world, that's about all we can do.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
:

but if it makes a point that you understand the law
better than they do, go ahead.

Being right,
and being righteous can be very, very expensive.

Also, while we are being pedantic and literal

This is part of why there's a steady decline in participation
in the newsgroup. You make a simple clarification, and
someone has to get their panties in a wad and act like a
dick about it.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

" writes:

I don't have any problem registering with them. I have been buying on the =
internet for years and it is too late for me to save myself. Like -MIKE-, =
I have never received one piece of spam or unwanted emails from all the reg=
istrations. I have my spam/trash blocker tuned up and it catches almost ev=
erything, and at this point for all of us living in the electronic world, t=
hat's about all we can do.

Ah, but the data brokers aren't using the data to send you spam or
unwanted emails. They're using it to tune the set of advertisements
that are presented to you when you visit websites, to induce you to
click on the ads.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 11:27:07 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Ah, but the data brokers aren't using the data to send you spam or
unwanted emails. They're using it to tune the set of advertisements
that are presented to you when you visit websites, to induce you to
click on the ads.

True enough. Like I said, too late for me. Shopping for tools, blades, extension cords, and all the other stuff I buy from a multitude of sources had allowed Google (specifically) to build a database that shows ads of not only what I have been looking for lately, but down to the brands I prefer.

After reading a long dissertation on the data collecting going on in Windows 10 AND Chrome, I disabled all I could with Win10 and quit using Chrome. But I still use Google, and a meta search engine that uses Google and Yahoo as a source, so I don't really know how much good I did for myself. I know that really it wasn't much.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
:

True enough. Like I said, too late for me. Shopping for tools,
blades, extension cords, and all the other stuff I buy from a
multitude of sources had allowed Google (specifically) to build a
database that shows ads of not only what I have been looking for
lately, but down to the brands I prefer.

After reading a long dissertation on the data collecting going on in
Windows 10 AND Chrome, I disabled all I could with Win10 and quit
using Chrome. But I still use Google, and a meta search engine that
uses Google and Yahoo as a source, so I don't really know how much
good I did for myself. I know that really it wasn't much.

Robert

While you can't eliminate your tracks through the world, you can reduce
how readily they annoy you on the Internet. There's an add-on called
uBlock* that blocks not only ads but many of the trackers out there. It
literally makes some websites readable!

Some websites will break and you can decide whether to disable uBlock for
the site (either temporarily or permanently, YOU are in control) or go
elsewhere.

Some websites are absolute whores when it comes to ads and ad networks,
and they'll let anybody in. I consider surfing without some sort of ad
filter to be like playing hockey without shin guards. You might be ok
for a while, but you're going to get hurt and may get hurt badly!
(There's a NSFW way to say it that's much stronger, but I think you get
my point.)

*I know uBlock works with Pale Moon, but I don't know which other
browsers. You may have to run AdBlock Plus, but you have to turn off the
switch that allows some advertising.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/17 12:29 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Some websites are absolute whores when it comes to ads and ad
networks, and they'll let anybody in. I consider surfing without
some sort of ad filter to be like playing hockey without shin guards.
You might be ok for a while, but you're going to get hurt and may get
hurt badly!

Funny tangent....
I've been a baseball umpire for decades and have gone through the
routine of putting on all the protective gear for working behind the
plate literally at least a thousand times.

So one game last spring, I'm behind the plate in the top of the 1st
inning and realize that I forgot a shinguard. A shinguard. ONE, not
both! How do you forget one!? I can see forgetting both, that's
logical. But ONE!?

Murphy's Law prevailed and I took two in *that* shin in that half inning.
After the 3rd out, I told my partner to stall and I ran out to the
parking lot to get my other shinguard. I had a lump and some stitch
marks on that shin for next couple days to remind me. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2017 1:57 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

So one game last spring, I'm behind the plate in the top of the 1st
inning and realize that I forgot a shinguard. A shinguard. ONE, not
both! How do you forget one!? I can see forgetting both, that's
logical. But ONE!?

Typical umpire, you probably didn't see it.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/19/2017 12:57 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I've been a baseball umpire for decades and have gone through the
routine of putting on all the protective gear for working behind the
plate literally at least a thousand times.

So one game last spring, I'm behind the plate in the top of the 1st
inning and realize that I forgot a shinguard. A shinguard. ONE, not
both! How do you forget one!? I can see forgetting both, that's
logical. But ONE!?

Home plate ump help up start of Royals game a couple weeks ago for 10
minutes or more when at first pitch he realized he didn't have his on
and went to locker room for 'em...seems like maybe he was crew chief,
besides...

Posted to rec.woodworking

" writes:

After reading a long dissertation on the data collecting going on in Window=
s 10 AND Chrome, I disabled all I could with Win10 and quit using Chrome. =
But I still use Google, and a meta search engine that uses Google and Yahoo=
as a source, so I don't really know how much good I did for myself. I kno=
w that really it wasn't much.

More depressing reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_broker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/17 1:33 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/19/2017 1:57 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

So one game last spring, I'm behind the plate in the top of the 1st
inning and realize that I forgot a shinguard. A shinguard. ONE, not
both! How do you forget one!? I can see forgetting both, that's
logical. But ONE!?

Typical umpire, you probably didn't see it.

I've heard half the jokes and written the other half! :-D

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 11:51:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Maybe I am an anomaly. I get various targeted ads when I click on Yahoo and maybe some other websites. I LIKE these ads to be from shops I spend money at and about products I want to buy or look at. I would hate to get ads about chiropractors or Chinese cooking classes. I like to see tool ads and other things I do. Sometimes I click on them because its a good sale on something I want. Win.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/17 1:36 PM, dpb wrote:
On 05/19/2017 12:57 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I've been a baseball umpire for decades and have gone through the
routine of putting on all the protective gear for working behind the
plate literally at least a thousand times.

So one game last spring, I'm behind the plate in the top of the 1st
inning and realize that I forgot a shinguard. A shinguard. ONE, not
both! How do you forget one!? I can see forgetting both, that's
logical. But ONE!?

Home plate ump help up start of Royals game a couple weeks ago for 10
minutes or more when at first pitch he realized he didn't have his on
and went to locker room for 'em...seems like maybe he was crew chief,
besides...

I'm going to look that up so I have a reference to make me feel better
about it. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 19 May 2017 17:29:07 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

" wrote in
:

[...]

And others unreadable.

Some websites will break and you can decide whether to disable uBlock for
the site (either temporarily or permanently, YOU are in control) or go
elsewhere.

Doesn't always work for me.

Some websites are absolute whores when it comes to ads and ad networks,
and they'll let anybody in. I consider surfing without some sort of ad
filter to be like playing hockey without shin guards. You might be ok
for a while, but you're going to get hurt and may get hurt badly!
(There's a NSFW way to say it that's much stronger, but I think you get
my point.)

Private browsing helps, too. Nothing is perfect, though. Some won't
show you content with any sort of protection.