Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default A couple of comments on Ridgid tools

On 5/17/17 11:17 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 10:29:44 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

Having said all that... their drills/drivers etc. and batteries
have ALREADY lasted longer than any other cordless tools I've ever
owned and I've thoroughly abused and used them. So I'm sold.

Yeah, me too. I have a couple of sanders and a couple of drills I
can't kill. The 5" ROSs I use don't see any fine finishing as they
can't do it. But they have sanded off hundreds of feet of fascia
and cleaned up a ton of wood. They are about 15 years old and still
grind away. My two 12v small drills are now about 10 years old. When
the batteries crapped out at about 8 years, I called Ridgid and they
just sent me new ones.

The absolute longest I have ever had a DeWalt cordless last is 3 1/2
years. I still like the feel of the DeWalt drills a bit better, but
not enough to walk away from the price difference AND the lifetime
warranty. Of course, there is the performance, too. The newest
models of the "GEN5 X" group have brushless motors, higher torque
motors, and slightly different ergos with a new overmold rubber that
is a little sticky. Tough to beat.

Robert

The belt clips are worth their weight in gold.
Some of the newer (cheaper) models do not have them, so I look for that
and I won't by one without it.
There must be something to their lifetime battery warranty because I've
never had batteries last this long. I'm sure it has something to do
with Lithium Ion technology, but it must also have to do with the
integrated chip that controls voltage and heat.

I've worked with high current batteries in the audio/ video world for a
long time and I know that heat and over-current can be disastrous for
batteries. So having that chip that monitors and controls it must be
the key to their longevity.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)