Posted to rec.woodworking

Default anti noise

i guess that shop noise from machines is mostly white noise

but with compute power as it is i wonder if it is possible
to sample the white noise and cancel fast enough so that i
cannot hear it

or at least cancel most of it by analyzing the predominant noises
based on previous samples

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 13:55:23 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

i guess that shop noise from machines is mostly white noise

My guess would be that you're wrong. I would guess that it has strong
harmonics of the motor's RPM.

but with compute power as it is i wonder if it is possible
to sample the white noise and cancel fast enough so that i
cannot hear it

With headphones? Try it. It should work fairly well. If you're
talking about cancelling the sound in the entire room, forget it.

or at least cancel most of it by analyzing the predominant noises
based on previous samples

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 9:39:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 21:27:59 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article 12iq8c55slnivedgg69jjakin8g14s3fkp@
4ax.com, says...

wrote:

i guess that shop noise from machines is mostly white noise

but with compute power as it is i wonder if it is possible
to sample the white noise and cancel fast enough so that i
cannot hear it

or at least cancel most of it by analyzing the predominant noises
based on previous samples

Yes it is possible.

I suppose that among the many other things of
which Electric Comet is unaware is that a major
audio manufacturer has noise cancelling headsets
in their third or fourth generation of
production, available off the shelf at Best Buy.

Auto manufacturers use anti-noise to change (reduce, increase, or
"enhance") engine noise. It's quite different than the **** headsets
you mention, though. It is a technology that a saw manufacturer
could, but is *highly* unlikey to, use.

Honda uses Active Noise Cancellation to mask the noise caused by the vibration that
occurs when the Variable Cylinder Management kicks in and shuts down the back 3
cylinders.

I installed a device to suppress the VCM so I don't have to deal with the vibration, the noise,
the lack of response, etc. The 2nd generation of Honda's VCM is supposed to be better, but
the earlier version that I have both sucks for the driver and is bad for the engine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm not familliar with that particular unit but ANC isn't just a
matter of masking the noise when VCM kicks in. There is anti-noise
added to lower overall noise in some models. In others (not
necessarily Honda), it's there to make it sound like a muscle car. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 19:41:46 -0600
Markem wrote:

Yes it is possible.

thought it might be

problems i see

fidelity of the anti noise generated could be tricky

fidelity of the sampling might be hard but not sure

depends on the response of the mic i guess

interesting problem

Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote:

Yes it is possible.

thought it might be

problems i see

fidelity of the anti noise generated could be tricky

fidelity of the sampling might be hard but not sure

depends on the response of the mic i guess

interesting problem

Automotive ANC isn't anything like noise-cancelling headsets. That
technology is only possible over a very small area (the point between
your ears). I'd expect any noise-cancelling used in power tools would
be more like that used in automotive, where a lot is known about the
noise beforehand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

BMW uses the muscle car sounds too. So you pay extra to get a quiet car
and you pay extra to get a sound system to replace the quiet. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I don't recall ever saying it was.

There is anti-noise
added to lower overall noise in some models. In others (not
necessarily Honda), it's there to make it sound like a muscle car. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article SpGdnWHEDImQDxPFnZ2dnUU7-
, lcb11211@swbelldotnet
says...

wrote:

[...]

Some plug in hybrids have noise generators so
that they don't sneak up on pedestrians. Many
Harley riders carry this notion to an extreme--
their slogan is "loud pipes save lives".
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Many Harley riders carry this notion to an extreme--
their slogan is "loud pipes save lives".

When I rode a bicycle from CO to WA through the Rockies in 2011 those "loud"
pipes significantly detracted from the experience... instead of hearing
nature in places like the Tetons and Yellowstone all we heard was Harleys...
Ugh... When we encountered three guys on BMWs in Lowell, ID in a dinner we
thanked them! Mind you, there is a Harley sitting in my father's garage
with "normal" pipes...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote:

Yes it is possible.

thought it might be

problems i see

fidelity of the anti noise generated could be tricky

fidelity of the sampling might be hard but not sure

depends on the response of the mic i guess

interesting problem

A little online research by yourself could have answered that
question, ya know?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, *that* is what I said. I didn't say that that is the *only* application for ANC.

Moving on.

There is anti-noise
added to lower overall noise in some models. In others (not
necessarily Honda), it's there to make it sound like a muscle car. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Many Harely riders are wrong. I had more close calls and was actually
hit while sitting at a red light when riding my Harley. No issues with
my 2 Yamahas.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

i guess that shop noise from machines is mostly white noise

but with compute power as it is i wonder if it is possible
to sample the white noise and cancel fast enough so that i
cannot hear it

or at least cancel most of it by analyzing the predominant noises
based on previous samples

Yes it is possible.

I suppose that among the many other things of
which Electric Comet is unaware is that a major
audio manufacturer has noise cancelling headsets
in their third or fourth generation of
production, available off the shelf at Best Buy.

Auto manufacturers use anti-noise to change (reduce, increase, or
"enhance") engine noise. It's quite different than the **** headsets
you mention, though. It is a technology that a saw manufacturer
could, but is *highly* unlikey to, use.

Personally I like hearing the noise my tools make, with the exception of
my old shop vac (My new $85 one is not a problem) and my router. Sound
is a major indicator of how a motor, tool or otherwise, is working. I'd
say everyone is like this but, I've watched my wife pick up a foreign
objected in the sweeper and it would scream like a banshee, with zero
effect on her activities. Rather amazing.

I might add my jointer is a tad too loud because it does not use a
segmented spiral cutter head. My planer does, and it's a pleasure to
hear it work.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote:

Yes it is possible.

thought it might be

problems i see

fidelity of the anti noise generated could be tricky

fidelity of the sampling might be hard but not sure

depends on the response of the mic i guess

interesting problem

A little online research by yourself could have answered that
question, ya know?

About nothing discussed in this newsgroup could not be answered with a
little online search. His subject is reducing noise in a shop, so it is
on topic (unlike loud Harely's saving lives or not) so it would
eliminate the newsgroup if the only questions allowed were those that
could not be answered with a "little online research"

Seems a bunch of questions here are answered after some online research,
and some from first hand experience. They are not always the same answer.

This is what keeps things going, right?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/28/2017 4:55 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

i guess that shop noise from machines is mostly white noise

Definitely not. There's the usually tonal hum of the motor, the whine of
the blade, etc.

but with compute power as it is i wonder if it is possible
to sample the white noise and cancel fast enough so that i
cannot hear it

Unless you're talking about doing this within headphones (which exist),
there would be problems with phase and delay. Your head isn't
stationary. If you're imagining an "anti-noise" generator somewhere in
you're shop it would somehow have to compute the exact signal to produce
that would cancel out the tool sound *where your ears are*, which is not
only a moving target, but *two* moving targets. This is not to mention
the thousands of paths the sound would take as it reflects off the
various surfaces in your shop.

I find the garden variety 3M ear protectors to be more than sufficient.

or at least cancel most of it by analyzing the predominant noises
based on previous samples

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 10:27:27 -0500, Jack wrote:

About nothing discussed in this newsgroup could not be answered with a
little online search. His subject is reducing noise in a shop, so it is
on topic (unlike loud Harely's saving lives or not) so it would
eliminate the newsgroup if the only questions allowed were those that
could not be answered with a "little online research"

Seems a bunch of questions here are answered after some online research,
and some from first hand experience. They are not always the same answer.

This is what keeps things going, right?

The question was directed at EC. Noise cancellation has been used for
a good number of years. Now having a large system to cancel noise in a
shop is just ridiculousness with headphones having been available.
EC's ponderings do bring about discussion, but ribbing an individual
can be part of that discussion.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 10:50:52 -0500
Greg Guarino wrote:

Definitely not. There's the usually tonal hum of the motor, the whine
of the blade, etc.

i like the no load blade whine but could live without

the motor hum is not so loud

the work load is the noise that needs to be eliminated

exist), there would be problems with phase and delay. Your head isn't
stationary. If you're imagining an "anti-noise" generator somewhere
in you're shop it would somehow have to compute the exact signal to
produce that would cancel out the tool sound *where your ears are*,
which is not only a moving target, but *two* moving targets. This is
not to mention the thousands of paths the sound would take as it
reflects off the various surfaces in your shop.

interesting
seems that the best place to create the anti noise is close
to the noise

each noise maker would need an anti noise generator

I find the garden variety 3M ear protectors to be more than
sufficient.

also interesting but not practical
would have to buy multiple sets and disperse to all those in shop
ear shot

then there would be timing issues

maybe i could push out txt msgs to them when i am about to make noise

but what if my wood muse cannot sleep and wants some late night work
or early morn

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Oddly, my 15" planer with straight knives is not terribly loud. Add the
DC and it get very loud and that is with out the planer cutting
anything. You can imagine what happens when wood is being planed with
the DC.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That is odd. My planer is not loud when not cutting, and makes very
satisfying sound, not loud, even when cutting a 15" hunk of white oak.
My jointer with straight knives is not loud when running without
cutting, but face joint A 5" hunk of white oak and the neighbors start
holding their ears. My dust collector is also very quiet, because of
where it is more than being actually quiet.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/17 8:12 AM, Jack wrote:

Personally I like hearing the noise my tools make, with the exception of
my old shop vac (My new $85 one is not a problem) and my router. Sound
is a major indicator of how a motor, tool or otherwise, is working. I'd
say everyone is like this but, I've watched my wife pick up a foreign
objected in the sweeper and it would scream like a banshee, with zero
effect on her activities. Rather amazing.

I might add my jointer is a tad too loud because it does not use a
segmented spiral cutter head. My planer does, and it's a pleasure to
hear it work.

I agree with all this, however my lunchbox planer with straight knives,
universal motor (and running 2HP cyclone) _needs_ a good set of shooting
muffs in place!
Angle grinder and metal chop saw are a close second.

-BR