Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default anti noise

On 1/28/2017 9:39 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 21:27:59 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article 12iq8c55slnivedgg69jjakin8g14s3fkp@
4ax.com,
says...

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 13:55:23 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

i guess that shop noise from machines is mostly white noise

but with compute power as it is i wonder if it is possible
to sample the white noise and cancel fast enough so that i
cannot hear it

or at least cancel most of it by analyzing the predominant noises
based on previous samples

Yes it is possible.

I suppose that among the many other things of
which Electric Comet is unaware is that a major
audio manufacturer has noise cancelling headsets
in their third or fourth generation of
production, available off the shelf at Best Buy.

Auto manufacturers use anti-noise to change (reduce, increase, or
"enhance") engine noise. It's quite different than the **** headsets
you mention, though. It is a technology that a saw manufacturer
could, but is *highly* unlikey to, use.

Personally I like hearing the noise my tools make, with the exception of
my old shop vac (My new $85 one is not a problem) and my router. Sound
is a major indicator of how a motor, tool or otherwise, is working. I'd
say everyone is like this but, I've watched my wife pick up a foreign
objected in the sweeper and it would scream like a banshee, with zero
effect on her activities. Rather amazing.

I might add my jointer is a tad too loud because it does not use a
segmented spiral cutter head. My planer does, and it's a pleasure to
hear it work.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com