Posted to rec.woodworking

Default anti noise

In article SpGdnWHEDImQDxPFnZ2dnUU7-
, lcb11211@swbelldotnet
says...

On 1/29/2017 3:44 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 20:27:28 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 9:39:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 21:27:59 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article 12iq8c55slnivedgg69jjakin8g14s3fkp@
4ax.com,
says...

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 13:55:23 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

i guess that shop noise from machines is mostly white noise

but with compute power as it is i wonder if it is possible
to sample the white noise and cancel fast enough so that i
cannot hear it

or at least cancel most of it by analyzing the predominant noises
based on previous samples

Yes it is possible.

I suppose that among the many other things of
which Electric Comet is unaware is that a major
audio manufacturer has noise cancelling headsets
in their third or fourth generation of
production, available off the shelf at Best Buy.

Auto manufacturers use anti-noise to change (reduce, increase, or
"enhance") engine noise. It's quite different than the **** headsets
you mention, though. It is a technology that a saw manufacturer
could, but is *highly* unlikey to, use.

Honda uses Active Noise Cancellation to mask the noise caused by the vibration that
occurs when the Variable Cylinder Management kicks in and shuts down the back 3
cylinders.

I installed a device to suppress the VCM so I don't have to deal with the vibration, the noise,
the lack of response, etc. The 2nd generation of Honda's VCM is supposed to be better, but
the earlier version that I have both sucks for the driver and is bad for the engine.

I'm not familliar with that particular unit but ANC isn't just a
matter of masking the noise when VCM kicks in. There is anti-noise
added to lower overall noise in some models. In others (not
necessarily Honda), it's there to make it sound like a muscle car. ;-)

BMW uses the muscle car sounds too. So you pay extra to get a quiet car
and you pay extra to get a sound system to replace the quiet. ;~)

Some plug in hybrids have noise generators so
that they don't sneak up on pedestrians. Many
Harley riders carry this notion to an extreme--
their slogan is "loud pipes save lives".