Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default anti noise

On 1/30/17 8:12 AM, Jack wrote:

Personally I like hearing the noise my tools make, with the exception of
my old shop vac (My new $85 one is not a problem) and my router. Sound
is a major indicator of how a motor, tool or otherwise, is working. I'd
say everyone is like this but, I've watched my wife pick up a foreign
objected in the sweeper and it would scream like a banshee, with zero
effect on her activities. Rather amazing.

I might add my jointer is a tad too loud because it does not use a
segmented spiral cutter head. My planer does, and it's a pleasure to
hear it work.

I agree with all this, however my lunchbox planer with straight knives,
universal motor (and running 2HP cyclone) _needs_ a good set of shooting
muffs in place!
Angle grinder and metal chop saw are a close second.

-BR