Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default anti noise

On 1/30/2017 3:03 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/30/2017 9:12 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/28/2017 9:39 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 21:27:59 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article 12iq8c55slnivedgg69jjakin8g14s3fkp@
4ax.com,
says...

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 13:55:23 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

i guess that shop noise from machines is mostly white noise

but with compute power as it is i wonder if it is possible
to sample the white noise and cancel fast enough so that i
cannot hear it

or at least cancel most of it by analyzing the predominant noises
based on previous samples

Yes it is possible.

I suppose that among the many other things of
which Electric Comet is unaware is that a major
audio manufacturer has noise cancelling headsets
in their third or fourth generation of
production, available off the shelf at Best Buy.

Auto manufacturers use anti-noise to change (reduce, increase, or
"enhance") engine noise. It's quite different than the **** headsets
you mention, though. It is a technology that a saw manufacturer
could, but is *highly* unlikey to, use.

Personally I like hearing the noise my tools make, with the exception of
my old shop vac (My new $85 one is not a problem) and my router. Sound
is a major indicator of how a motor, tool or otherwise, is working. I'd
say everyone is like this but, I've watched my wife pick up a foreign
objected in the sweeper and it would scream like a banshee, with zero
effect on her activities. Rather amazing.

I might add my jointer is a tad too loud because it does not use a
segmented spiral cutter head. My planer does, and it's a pleasure to
hear it work.

Oddly, my 15" planer with straight knives is not terribly loud. Add the
DC and it get very loud and that is with out the planer cutting
anything. You can imagine what happens when wood is being planed with
the DC.

That is odd. My planer is not loud when not cutting, and makes very
satisfying sound, not loud, even when cutting a 15" hunk of white oak.
My jointer with straight knives is not loud when running without
cutting, but face joint A 5" hunk of white oak and the neighbors start
holding their ears. My dust collector is also very quiet, because of
where it is more than being actually quiet.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com