Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default What would you use to seal this crack in a homemade manzanitawalking stick?

We did the same in Santa Cruz mountains - we tried it ONCE with
the oil on top and went back to oil on the bottom! Our area
was all private roads as was Hwy 9 in the 50's.

Martin

On 4/1/2015 3:22 PM, Danny D. wrote:
Scott Lurndal wrote, on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 14:13:15 +0000:

chipseal

It may be rough immediately after application, but within a few days,
it's as smooth as any other asphalt. I've generally not had problems
with tar on the car, either; at least in San Jose

Yeah, I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains. Chip-and-seal is what they call
it, you're right. The airport & roads crew comes out every few years to
chip-and-seal it.

It is a bit rougher I'd say, than the asphalt on the main roads.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Macadam is a premix and is hot spread and rolled. Chip #1 and #2
is oil and spread of chip rock. Dry rock is spread on top or onto
the old surface with hot oil tar sprayed on top or on the pavement.
Martin

On 4/1/2015 4:44 PM, Markem wrote:
On Wed, 1 Apr 2015 20:22:59 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Scott Lurndal wrote, on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 14:13:15 +0000:

chipseal

It may be rough immediately after application, but within a few days,
it's as smooth as any other asphalt. I've generally not had problems
with tar on the car, either; at least in San Jose

Yeah, I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains. Chip-and-seal is what they call
it, you're right. The airport & roads crew comes out every few years to
chip-and-seal it.

It is a bit rougher I'd say, than the asphalt on the main roads.

Macadam is an east coast name.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 1:41:08 AM UTC-4, Baxter wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 9:43:44 PM UTC-4, Baxter wrote:
Markem wrote in
:

wrote:

Scott Lurndal wrote, on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 14:13:15 +0000:

chipseal

It may be rough immediately after application, but within a few
days, it's as smooth as any other asphalt. I've generally not
had problem

with tar on the car, either; at least in San Jose

Yeah, I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains. Chip-and-seal is what they
call it, you're right. The airport & roads crew comes out every few
years to

chip-and-seal it.

It is a bit rougher I'd say, than the asphalt on the main roads.

Macadam is an east coast name.

And it's a street name in Portland, OR

http://tinyurl.com/qfnykej
http://tinyurl.com/nn96mt6

And the name of that spooky family from Ireland.

You know, The MacAdams Family.

They're creepy and they're craiceáilte
Mysterious and uaigneach
They're altogether déistineach
The MacAdams Family

Nope, it's: The Addams Family

http://www.addamsfamily.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Addams_Family

See he

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Q27YiPRiewg
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Martin Eastburn wrote, on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 22:51:54 -0500:

We did the same in Santa Cruz mountains - we tried it ONCE with the oil
on top and went back to oil on the bottom! Our area was all private
roads as was Hwy 9 in the 50's

What they seem to do here, in the Santa Cruz mountains, today, anyway, is
spread the gloop first, and then put the rocks on top, and then sweep the
loose rocks away.

The rocks ping against the cars for weeks thereafter, sometimes months,
depending on the road use.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:s43Tw.145571
:

Macadam is a premix and is hot spread and rolled. Chip #1 and #2
is oil and spread of chip rock. Dry rock is spread on top or onto
the old surface with hot oil tar sprayed on top or on the pavement.

Technically, "macadam" is just a crushed rock surface. If
tar is added then it's "tarmac".

In modern usage, tho, "macadam" and "tarmac" have become
synonomous, since no-one uses plain crushed rock any more
(pneumatic tires tend to pull crushed rock apart, whereas
steel wheels and horseshoes compacted it further; hence the
replacement of macadam with tarmac following the advent of
the automobile).

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 10:17:59 AM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote, on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 22:51:54 -0500:

We did the same in Santa Cruz mountains - we tried it ONCE with the oil
on top and went back to oil on the bottom! Our area was all private
roads as was Hwy 9 in the 50's

What they seem to do here, in the Santa Cruz mountains, today, anyway, is
spread the gloop first, and then put the rocks on top, and then sweep the
loose rocks away.

The rocks ping against the cars for weeks thereafter, sometimes months,
depending on the road use.

I'm not exactly sure what they are doing in my long-cold-winter area, but instead of filling the mid-winter pot holes with dark black asphalt, I've seen a few towns use a very light grey mixture of rocks and "I don't know what it is" binder. All I know is that the resulting fill is lighter than the grey that asphalt turns after a few years.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

I have crushed rock in my long driveway. All limestone. It flattens
out as the weight of tires crush it into place. The small chunks and
dust glue the mass together.

I can eat it up with my tractor tires, to much weight on thin ridges
that are designed to fit into the ground/mud.

I had granite in the front 600' - it was never put in correctly and
is just sinking into the mud. If a pre-mix of fine dust and crushed
granite is laid down first - sinks in and forms a solid base, then the
rock is added to that stable base.

My driveway is 1400' to the house. Another 12-14 around two buildings
and back out the the main driveway. That second section is slowly
taking place.

Martin

On 4/2/2015 9:44 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote in news:s43Tw.145571
:

Macadam is a premix and is hot spread and rolled. Chip #1 and #2
is oil and spread of chip rock. Dry rock is spread on top or onto
the old surface with hot oil tar sprayed on top or on the pavement.

Technically, "macadam" is just a crushed rock surface. If
tar is added then it's "tarmac".

In modern usage, tho, "macadam" and "tarmac" have become
synonomous, since no-one uses plain crushed rock any more
(pneumatic tires tend to pull crushed rock apart, whereas
steel wheels and horseshoes compacted it further; hence the
replacement of macadam with tarmac following the advent of
the automobile).

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

I suspect it is an epoxy resin of some sorts. Many of the quick patches
are that way - in a bag until needed - mix it in a wheel barrow and
instant patch that glues down even on wet pavement. Most people use
a torch stick to heat the hole dry and melt the sides a bit.
I used to buy a bag or two a year to fill in areas and even extended
my long driveway on one side with it. It was a dead end and had set
their machine for the return run just outside of the driveway - the
stopping point.

Martin

On 4/2/2015 10:04 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Bulb Seal/Bubble Seal/O-Seal John Whitworth[_5_] UK diy 3 July 24th 11 02:33 PM
Seal crack roof tile Jethro UK diy 8 September 19th 08 04:39 PM
Cheap peel-n-stick floor tile doesn't stick Mike Home Repair 13 June 5th 07 05:31 AM
To (re)seal or not to (re)seal granite counter tops? blueman Home Repair 11 July 31st 06 04:44 PM
to seal or not to seal that is the question djay Home Repair 4 August 9th 05 05:38 PM