Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default What would you use to seal this crack in a homemade manzanitawalking stick?

I have crushed rock in my long driveway. All limestone. It flattens
out as the weight of tires crush it into place. The small chunks and
dust glue the mass together.

I can eat it up with my tractor tires, to much weight on thin ridges
that are designed to fit into the ground/mud.

I had granite in the front 600' - it was never put in correctly and
is just sinking into the mud. If a pre-mix of fine dust and crushed
granite is laid down first - sinks in and forms a solid base, then the
rock is added to that stable base.

My driveway is 1400' to the house. Another 12-14 around two buildings
and back out the the main driveway. That second section is slowly
taking place.

Martin

On 4/2/2015 9:44 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote in news:s43Tw.145571
:

Macadam is a premix and is hot spread and rolled. Chip #1 and #2
is oil and spread of chip rock. Dry rock is spread on top or onto
the old surface with hot oil tar sprayed on top or on the pavement.

Technically, "macadam" is just a crushed rock surface. If
tar is added then it's "tarmac".

In modern usage, tho, "macadam" and "tarmac" have become
synonomous, since no-one uses plain crushed rock any more
(pneumatic tires tend to pull crushed rock apart, whereas
steel wheels and horseshoes compacted it further; hence the
replacement of macadam with tarmac following the advent of
the automobile).

John