Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default What would you use to seal this crack in a homemade manzanitawalking stick?

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 10:17:59 AM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote, on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 22:51:54 -0500:

We did the same in Santa Cruz mountains - we tried it ONCE with the oil
on top and went back to oil on the bottom! Our area was all private
roads as was Hwy 9 in the 50's

What they seem to do here, in the Santa Cruz mountains, today, anyway, is
spread the gloop first, and then put the rocks on top, and then sweep the
loose rocks away.

The rocks ping against the cars for weeks thereafter, sometimes months,
depending on the road use.

I'm not exactly sure what they are doing in my long-cold-winter area, but instead of filling the mid-winter pot holes with dark black asphalt, I've seen a few towns use a very light grey mixture of rocks and "I don't know what it is" binder. All I know is that the resulting fill is lighter than the grey that asphalt turns after a few years.