Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Burn barrel

Can't believe I've lived this long without one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:

Can't believe I've lived this long without one.

Ummmm... so this is intended to say... what? Burn barrels were a back yard
staple for decades. Your point is?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2014 7:52 PM, Michael wrote:
Can't believe I've lived this long without one.

It is hard to fit a tire in one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:24:00 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
Michael wrote:

Can't believe I've lived this long without one.

Ummmm... so this is intended to say... what? Burn barrels were a back yard
staple for decades. Your point is?

I think a pot bellied wood burning stove would better accommodate one's back yard decor. Even those "modern", open pit wok pot fireplaces would look better than an old style burn barrel.

But who's to say? Just so happens, Jonas recently cut the boy's names in the sides of the burn barrel, at the camp, so we can see their names "glow". The kids enjoy the attention, to themselves, that way.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?details=1

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:57:46 PM UTC-5, Algonquin J. Calhoun wrote:

Can't believe I've lived this long without one.

It is hard to fit a tire in one.

??!! There are better ways to dispose of a tire, than burning it.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:

Can't believe I've lived this long without one.

Ummmm... so this is intended to say... what? Burn barrels were a
back yard staple for decades. Your point is?

I think a pot bellied wood burning stove would better accommodate
one's back yard decor. Even those "modern", open pit wok pot
fireplaces would look better than an old style burn barrel.

Oh come on Sonny - nothing inspires that warm feeling of home deep down
inside like a 10 year old burn barrel - half rotted out and stinking of wet
ash...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Can't believe I've lived this long without one.

It is hard to fit a tire in one.

??!! There are better ways to dispose of a tire, than burning it.

When I grew up, my dad would bring home tires from work and other places.
We used them on stump fire to clear land. We had a whole bunch of those
original old growth stumps. Many of them several feet in diameter. Lots of
black smoke. That sort of thing is probably illegal these days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/1/2014 8:29 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

When I grew up, my dad would bring home tires from work and other
places. We used them on stump fire to clear land. We had a whole bunch
of those original old growth stumps. Many of them several feet in
diameter. Lots of black smoke. That sort of thing is probably illegal
these days.

So it was you who caused AGW!?

Fershame ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/1/2014 8:45 AM, Swingman wrote:

So it was you who caused AGW!?

Fershame ...

How's Bucky doing?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:52:35 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
Can't believe I've lived this long without one.

You did not grow up in the country apparently. Long ago every house in the country had a brown rusted barrel in the backyard for burning the trash. Not sure its the same today. Parents have just used a bare spot on the ground at the last couple houses, no barrel. Usually have some extra trees on the pile to burn. Always a pain dealing with metal and glass waste. You have to separate it into a separate container and then every month or so find a spot to get rid of it. City life with weekly trash collection is OK. And I'm lucky enough to have a creek behind the house for throwing away tree trimmings. Cannot put tree branches in the plastic trash containers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:59:26 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Can't believe I've lived this long without one.

You did not grow up in the country apparently.

..... Parents have just used a bare spot on the ground at the last couple houses, no barrel.

Yep, bare spot on the ground, when I was young. In the late 80s, my cousin brought over his metal detector and we searched my grandparents burn spot, among other places. We found coins, horse shoes, an axe head, buggy rigging rings, buckles & such and, best of all, five 1949 whoop net tags.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 10/1/2014 8:45 AM, Swingman wrote:

So it was you who caused AGW!?

Fershame ...

No, no, it wasn't me. It was my dad!

How's Bucky doing?

He is doing fine. He is the neighborhood celebrity. He gets two walks a
day, one from me and one from Dawn. And he loves everybody and everybody
loves him. I have been taking extra walks since spring each day as part of
a weight loss/fitness program. And people actually get upset when they see
me without Bucky. They always ask, "Where is your dog?" I have to explain
that he gets two walks a day and that is it. I am entitled to a walk or
two, now and then.

Bucky has a simple philosophy. He is the most important being in time and
space. He is the center of EVERYTHING! Everybody he sees should run run
over to him and love him. If they don't he gets a little miffed. He just
does not understand. We refer to him as the resident megalomaniac.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:

Can't believe I've lived this long without one.

Ummmm... so this is intended to say... what? Burn barrels were a back yard
staple for decades. Your point is?

I think a pot bellied wood burning stove would better accommodate one's back yard decor. Even those "modern", open pit wok pot fireplaces would look better than an old style burn barrel.

But who's to say? Just so happens, Jonas recently cut the boy's names in the sides of the burn barrel, at the camp, so we can see their names "glow". The kids enjoy the attention, to themselves, that way.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?details=1

Sonny

I like the long flat top ones - put in the front door and heat something
on the top. Or just let the heat out.
Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking

You did not grow up in the country apparently. Long ago every house in the country had a brown rusted barrel in the backyard for burning the trash. Not sure its the same today.

Sadly this was never allowed where I lived in the city on the east
coast. For last 20 years I've been living in Ohio and it's still not
allowed where I live. I would love to burn a few things, especially
the leaves. Here they want every dollar they can squeeze out of you
and try to force you to bag them in specific paper bags for trash
pickup. WTH? It's nature's mulch! I ended up buying a mulching leaf
blower/vac and spread it out in my gardens every year. If it's an
exceptionally leafy year (neighbors trees) I spread the mulch out to
some of the neighbors.

burn, baby, burn dadiOH[_3_] Home Repair 1 June 3rd 14 08:02 PM
Burn barrel ventilation holes Windmill[_3_] UK diy 30 July 27th 12 01:09 AM
Connect 5/16" OD 22LR steel barrel liner to larger OD barrel? [email protected] Metalworking 2 August 11th 11 10:53 PM
Burn baby burn Wes[_5_] Metalworking 0 October 7th 10 11:25 PM
Combi Boiler - To Burn Or Not To Burn Tim UK diy 7 November 6th 06 02:10 PM