Old September 20th 11, 05:34 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Burn barrel ventilation holes

I've been using an old 45 gal. diesel drum to burn leaves and branches,
and, maybe because of our excellent summer, am finding it more
difficult than expected to get everything to burn.

I had made a series of small holes (about 5/16) in the base, and a
similar series in two rings around the lower part of the barrel.
Enlarging three of the lower holes on the barrel to one inch didn't
seem to help the burning.

Does anyone have recommendations for optimum ventilation?

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l dot c o m

Old September 20th 11, 10:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-09-20, Windmill wrote:
I've been using an old 45 gal. diesel drum to burn leaves and branches,
and, maybe because of our excellent summer, am finding it more
difficult than expected to get everything to burn.

I had made a series of small holes (about 5/16) in the base, and a
similar series in two rings around the lower part of the barrel.
Enlarging three of the lower holes on the barrel to one inch didn't
seem to help the burning.

Does anyone have recommendations for optimum ventilation?

I ended up cutting the bottom out of ours completely. Stand it
on some bricks to raise it up off the ground.

When mine burnt through the bottom, it worked really well until it got
chucked out. Sez she, "it had a hole in the bottom". I had to get a
new one that didn't burn nearly as well ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Old September 20th 11, 11:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2011-09-20, Windmill wrote:
I've been using an old 45 gal. diesel drum to burn leaves and branches,
and, maybe because of our excellent summer, am finding it more
difficult than expected to get everything to burn.

I had made a series of small holes (about 5/16) in the base, and a
similar series in two rings around the lower part of the barrel.
Enlarging three of the lower holes on the barrel to one inch didn't
seem to help the burning.

Does anyone have recommendations for optimum ventilation?

I ended up cutting the bottom out of ours completely. Stand it
on some bricks to raise it up off the ground.

Look up Silsoe incinerator. The agricultural college did some work
optimising the hole size and spacing. They used a raised mesh of some
sort to form a hearth.

http://adlib.everysite.co.uk/resourc...cineration.pdf

They are now banned from use in agriculture but I doubt that extends to
garden use:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Old September 20th 11, 11:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Windmill wrote:
I've been using an old 45 gal. diesel drum to burn leaves and branches,
and, maybe because of our excellent summer, am finding it more
difficult than expected to get everything to burn.

I had made a series of small holes (about 5/16) in the base, and a
similar series in two rings around the lower part of the barrel.
Enlarging three of the lower holes on the barrel to one inch didn't
seem to help the burning.

Does anyone have recommendations for optimum ventilation?

Standard technique is to whack in some 1" holes using a pickaxe.
Old September 20th 11, 11:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Windmill wrote:
I've been using an old 45 gal. diesel drum to burn leaves and branches,
and, maybe because of our excellent summer, am finding it more
difficult than expected to get everything to burn.

which excellent summer was that?

I had made a series of small holes (about 5/16) in the base, and a
similar series in two rings around the lower part of the barrel.
Enlarging three of the lower holes on the barrel to one inch didn't
seem to help the burning.

Does anyone have recommendations for optimum ventilation?

put it on bricks remove all the bottom and fit some expanded steel mesh
flooring inside

Old September 20th 11, 11:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 04:34:43 GMT, lid
(Windmill) wrote:

Does anyone have recommendations for optimum ventilation?

Pickaxe-sized holes around the bottom.
Alternatively, one 2" hole near the bottom and feed it with blown air
from an old furnace blower. Everything burns cleanly.
Old September 21st 11, 08:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Windmill" wrote in message
I've been using an old 45 gal. diesel drum to burn leaves and

branches,
and, maybe because of our excellent summer, am finding it more
difficult than expected to get everything to burn.

I had made a series of small holes (about 5/16) in the base, and a
similar series in two rings around the lower part of the barrel.
Enlarging three of the lower holes on the barrel to one inch didn't
seem to help the burning.

Does anyone have recommendations for optimum ventilation?

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l dot c

o m
J.R.R. Tolkien: All that is gold does not glister / Not all who

wander are lost

I'm with Steve Firth on this one. Whack about 20 holes with a pick axe
in the base, then stand it on bricks.

If you cut 1/3rd of the top and 1/3rd of the bottom off a steel drum,
then similarly whack in the holes they make a superb barbeque when set
on a suitable frame, using weld mesh as the grilling surface. I've
three done this way, and an angle iron frame to sit them on that
neatly gets lifted to where ever we are feeding using forks on the
back of the tractor. Last used a few weeks ago when we fed a couple of
hundred people over two days.

AWEM

Old September 21st 11, 09:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 20, 11:08 pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
Look up Silsoe incinerator. The agricultural college did some work
optimising the hole size and spacing. They used a raised mesh of some
sort to form a hearth.

http://adlib.everysite.co.uk/resourc...cineration.pdf
Tim Lamb

That's interesting, thanks for that.

The two rows of ventilation holes were to try to get it to act as a
gasifier, with a primary and secondary air supply. This burns much
more efficiently and cleanly than a simple fire for lots of reasons
that can be found on the internet.

On Sep 20, 11:54*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 04:34:43 GMT,

Pickaxe-sized holes around the bottom.
Alternatively, one 2" hole near the bottom and feed it with blown air
from an old furnace blower. Everything burns cleanly.

25+ years ago I used to have such an barrel rubbish burner with the
ventilation holes as specified (pick-axe). I set up a blower with an
old cylinder vacuum cleaner; the hose on some of these could be
connected to the outlet if you needed a blower. Air was blown into the
bottom of the barrel through a 10' length of scaffold tube, so the
vacuum cleaner didn't get hot.

After getting it burning, I set the vacuum cleaner going. Burning
became very intense, all smoking ceased; 5 or 10 minutes later the
barrel was incandescent, literally red (bright) hot. It started to
collapse under it's own weight. Predictable; I'd made a blast furnace.

A small blower would do this very well; a fan from a dead boiler or
a car blower would do nicely. The latter would have speed controls.

Old September 21st 11, 09:48 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Onetap writes
On Sep 20, 11:08 pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
Look up Silsoe incinerator. The agricultural college did some work
optimising the hole size and spacing. They used a raised mesh of some
sort to form a hearth.

http://adlib.everysite.co.uk/resourc...cineration.pdf
Tim Lamb

That's interesting, thanks for that.

The two rows of ventilation holes were to try to get it to act as a
gasifier, with a primary and secondary air supply. This burns much
more efficiently and cleanly than a simple fire for lots of reasons
that can be found on the internet.

I've given mine away. One point to watch; don't set one up under
overhanging or nearby trees.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Old September 21st 11, 09:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 21, 9:40*am, Onetap wrote:

* 25+ years ago I used to have such an barrel rubbish burner with the
ventilation holes as specified (pick-axe).

By that, I meant a single row of holes around the base, not a two-
row gasifier effort.
Stuff burned but it smoked a lot, the ventilation gradually blocked
with ashes and is smoked more, so I tried super-charging it, as
described.

Advice on replacing soffits/fascias on old house - ventilation holes LJMeek UK diy 12 May 3rd 13 04:40 AM
Connect 5/16" OD 22LR steel barrel liner to larger OD barrel? [email protected] Metalworking 2 August 11th 11 10:53 PM
loft ventilation - fly screen or open holes in felt? David Robinson UK diy 5 February 4th 11 08:41 PM
Burn baby burn Wes[_5_] Metalworking 0 October 7th 10 11:25 PM
Combi Boiler - To Burn Or Not To Burn Tim UK diy 7 November 6th 06 02:10 PM