Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New drill/driver

wrote

I don't even consider a Black and Decker tool newer than about 30
years to be a tool. In my experience they are pretty much all JUNK.

I used to think that. Then I was given a firestorm B&D drill for a gift.
It was pretty tough, and since I had the battery, I bought a couple more
tools, and a couple more, until I had the whole lineup, I think. I used
them every day, professionally, and tough. Other than batteries, they have
been up to the task. Other wear items, like switches, and bushings for a
sawzall, no problems. In the same kind of use I have worn out bushings for
a Milwaukee sawzall, too, so bushings and a new switch here and there is not
out of my expectations.

DeWalt, made by B&D, another story. Had those at school, and used my own
Firestorm stuff much of the time, cause the DeWalt was broken.

I am looking to buy another Firestorm hammer drill, just now. Mine is my go
to drill, and is starting to get long in the tooth. I want to get another
one, while they are still being sold used. Not made any more, in the NiCad
version, I think. I converted my NiCad packs, filling them with lithium ion
guts. I will likely be using my firestorms for the next 15 or 20 years.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

And since now and then I lend tools to the guys that work for me, I really
don't want to invest much in job site tools. Most guys these days don't
take care of tools and frankly (speaking as a carpenter/woodworker), don't
know how to use them correctly. So sometimes from that aspect alone, less
is more.

Don't need to buy new circular saws. I bought two Milwaukee circular saws
in 82 and 87 and both are still running strong, with only one greasing
because I felt guilty, and a few switches and cords.

They may be heavy, but they are heavy duty. I can't see these saws ever
conking out.
--
Jim in NC

---