Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need a new drill/driver

My 30 year old B & D Industrial drill and driver is getting flaky and I'm
looking for recommendations for a replacement. I prefer...

corded
3/8
VSR (variable speed reversible)
clutch

By "clutch" I mean this...the B&D has a ring just aft of the chuck with two
positions; namely, "Drill" and "Screw". In the drill position the chuck
turns continuously; in the screw position, the chuck only turns when one
applies pressure...handy because when it torques out the turning stops.

Actually, the drill is still just fine but the adjustment ring doesn't want
to stay at "drill", tends to slips off it. I plan to disassemble and look
but have already checked parts and what I might need is no longer available.

Thanks for your suggestions.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

I know you specified corded, but you might want to look at the Makita 18v lithium ion drill and driver set. All the power you'd want, light weight, drill provides a variety of torque positions. Decent battery life and fast charge. I've had mine for about three years and wouldn't think of going back to corded.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/9/2013 7:24 PM, dadiOH wrote:
My 30 year old B & D Industrial drill and driver is getting flaky and I'm
looking for recommendations for a replacement. I prefer...

corded
3/8
VSR (variable speed reversible)
clutch

By "clutch" I mean this...the B&D has a ring just aft of the chuck with two
positions; namely, "Drill" and "Screw". In the drill position the chuck
turns continuously; in the screw position, the chuck only turns when one
applies pressure...handy because when it torques out the turning stops.

Actually, the drill is still just fine but the adjustment ring doesn't want
to stay at "drill", tends to slips off it. I plan to disassemble and look
but have already checked parts and what I might need is no longer available.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I tend to prefer a cordless as well, have a 14.4V DeWalt that I am quite
happy with, for a lot of drilling I break out my corded DeWalt
drill/hammer drill combo, quick switch selector between the two modes.

I find if I am switching between pre-drilling and driving screws, having
the two tools handy is a lot faster than all the bit changes.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/9/2013 4:24 PM, dadiOH wrote:
My 30 year old B & D Industrial drill and driver is getting flaky and I'm
looking for recommendations for a replacement. I prefer...

corded
3/8
VSR (variable speed reversible)
clutch

I don't think you will find a corded drill with a
clutch.

An excellent corded drill with variable speed trigger
is a
http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Mod...aspx?Name=6408

It is light,strong and it "never" needs a recharge or
a new set of batteries. About $70-$80.

I am tired of buying batteries or new drills.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/13 10:26 AM, Pat Barber wrote:

I am tired of buying batteries or new drills.

So am I. That's one reason I bought the Ridgid drill driver combo with
lifetime battery replacement and parts/labor warranty.

We'll see how that goes when these batteries wear out... still going
like new for now.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/9/2013 6:24 PM, dadiOH wrote:
My 30 year old B & D Industrial drill and driver is getting flaky and I'm
looking for recommendations for a replacement. I prefer...

corded
3/8
VSR (variable speed reversible)
clutch

By "clutch" I mean this...the B&D has a ring just aft of the chuck with two
positions; namely, "Drill" and "Screw". In the drill position the chuck
turns continuously; in the screw position, the chuck only turns when one
applies pressure...handy because when it torques out the turning stops.

Actually, the drill is still just fine but the adjustment ring doesn't want
to stay at "drill", tends to slips off it. I plan to disassemble and look
but have already checked parts and what I might need is no longer available.

Thanks for your suggestions.

The only corded brand that I know of that has a clutch is Makita.

That said, for what ever reason you want a clutch/corded drill I think
you will probably get a better clutch if you get a cordless. So is the
clutch more important than the corded or visa versa?

I have a 25 year old corded DeWalt I use as back up.

Should you decide to go with cordless I would strongly suggest looking
at those with brushless motors.

Yes I would recommend the Festool T15 BUT it is brushless and since
getting it 20 months ago I have pretty much not used either my 12 volt
Makita impact drive or my 18 volt Bosch impact drive. So far the
Festool T15 seems to be able to drive just about anything that I used to
drive with the impacts. It appears to have as much torque a 1 RPM as
top speed. You don't have to give the tool more juice to drive screws
and lag screws, drive them at any speed you choose.

Anyway I don't know if this is a brushless motor thing or the fact that
it is a Festool. The clutch on the T15 Festool is electronic so no
rattling noise once you reach the predetermined clutch setting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/2013 10:52 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/10/13 10:26 AM, Pat Barber wrote:

I am tired of buying batteries or new drills.

So am I. That's one reason I bought the Ridgid drill driver combo with
lifetime battery replacement and parts/labor warranty.

We'll see how that goes when these batteries wear out... still going
like new for now.

For what it worth, the free battery replacement warranty has been around
long enough that battery replacement is a daily occurrence.
Nine years ago I considered a Ridgid drill with lifetime warranty
including the batteries but went with a Makita because of the weight of
the Ridgid drill at the time. I would think that if you are happy with
how your Ridgid feels and performs you may never have to buy another
drill or battery.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/13 11:23 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/10/2013 10:52 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/10/13 10:26 AM, Pat Barber wrote:

I am tired of buying batteries or new drills.

So am I. That's one reason I bought the Ridgid drill driver combo with
lifetime battery replacement and parts/labor warranty.

We'll see how that goes when these batteries wear out... still going
like new for now.

For what it worth, the free battery replacement warranty has been around
long enough that battery replacement is a daily occurrence.

What does this mean? Ridgig is replacing them, daily?

Nine years ago I considered a Ridgid drill with lifetime warranty
including the batteries but went with a Makita because of the weight of
the Ridgid drill at the time. I would think that if you are happy with
how your Ridgid feels and performs you may never have to buy another
drill or battery.

I'm tickled with these, so far. I hope you're right.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/2013 11:52 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/10/13 11:23 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/10/2013 10:52 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/10/13 10:26 AM, Pat Barber wrote:

I am tired of buying batteries or new drills.

So am I. That's one reason I bought the Ridgid drill driver combo with
lifetime battery replacement and parts/labor warranty.

We'll see how that goes when these batteries wear out... still going
like new for now.

For what it worth, the free battery replacement warranty has been around
long enough that battery replacement is a daily occurrence.

What does this mean? Ridgig is replacing them, daily?

They have probably sold so many over the past 9 years that routine
replacement is a daily routine, not that the batteries for an
individual have to be replaced often. I have not heard of any one
having a problem with having any thing repaired or replaced under the
life time warranty in the last 9 years.

Nine years ago I considered a Ridgid drill with lifetime warranty
including the batteries but went with a Makita because of the weight of
the Ridgid drill at the time. I would think that if you are happy with
how your Ridgid feels and performs you may never have to buy another
drill or battery.

I'm tickled with these, so far. I hope you're right.

As I mentioned above, in the last 9 years of this warranty being in
place I have not heard one comment about the warranty not being honored.
I suspect that you will have to send the battery to a repair facility
and wait for them to ship a replacement. If you are in a hurry this
might be a problem but a back up battery will be handy to have, which
you probably have. I would not wait for both to go bad before taking
care the situation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/13 2:28 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/10/2013 11:52 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
For what it worth, the free battery replacement warranty has been around
long enough that battery replacement is a daily occurrence.

What does this mean? Ridgig is replacing them, daily?

They have probably sold so many over the past 9 years that routine
replacement is a daily routine, not that the batteries for an
individual have to be replaced often. I have not heard of any one
having a problem with having any thing repaired or replaced under the
life time warranty in the last 9 years.

I get it, now.

Nine years ago I considered a Ridgid drill with lifetime warranty
including the batteries but went with a Makita because of the weight of
the Ridgid drill at the time. I would think that if you are happy with
how your Ridgid feels and performs you may never have to buy another
drill or battery.

I'm tickled with these, so far. I hope you're right.

As I mentioned above, in the last 9 years of this warranty being in
place I have not heard one comment about the warranty not being honored.
I suspect that you will have to send the battery to a repair facility
and wait for them to ship a replacement. If you are in a hurry this
might be a problem but a back up battery will be handy to have, which
you probably have. I would not wait for both to go bad before taking
care the situation.

Chances are before either of my batts go bad, I will buy another of
their cordless products that come with another battery, so I'll probably
be good on that front.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/2013 4:37 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Chances are before either of my batts go bad, I will buy another of
their cordless products that come with another battery, so I'll probably
be good on that front.

You're probably too young to remember the old prank the "magic"
Volkswagen carburetor that got 200 miles to the gallon, but I often feel
that way about my two Makita ion cordless drills.

I use the hell out if them for days at a time. Have never, ever had one
run down on me during use on a job site; and when I do bother to charge
them, mostly out of guilt, it only takes about ten minutes to a full charge.

I think I got a 22nd century prototype by mistake.

To the OP: I would buy my two Milwaukee 1/2" corded again in a heartbeat.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net