Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dateline Cochran, GA

We got 6 1/2 inches of rain last evening and night. About midnight the
weather radio came on and said there "was the potential of flash
flooding in Cochran and Bleckley County, If you experience flooding
move to higher ground."

I can't believe someone gets paid to broadcast gems like that. They
must be brilliant to get that job.
--
 GW Ross

 We are born naked, wet and hungry.
 Then things get worse.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 May 2014 07:53:01 -0400, "G. Ross"
I can't believe someone gets paid to broadcast gems like that. They
must be brilliant to get that job.

Look at it this way. There's bound to be a number of people who won't
move unless someone tells them to.

And considering the litigious reputation the US has, what is the
possibility that someone would sue a radio station for not advising
the obvious? You just never know.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2014 7:53 AM, G. Ross wrote:
We got 6 1/2 inches of rain last evening and night. About midnight the
weather radio came on and said there "was the potential of flash
flooding in Cochran and Bleckley County, If you experience flooding
move to higher ground."

I can't believe someone gets paid to broadcast gems like that. They
must be brilliant to get that job.

One thing that is missing in today's culture is "Common Sense".

Today most people live in a virtual reality of computer games, videos,
and TV programs. You do not learn self preservation in a video game.

There are those that do not realize the chicken wing they love to eat
comes from a living breathing animal.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote:
We got 6 1/2 inches of rain last evening and night. About midnight the
weather radio came on and said there "was the potential of flash
flooding in Cochran and Bleckley County, If you experience flooding
move to higher ground."

I can't believe someone gets paid to broadcast gems like that. They
must be brilliant to get that job.

I once told my son that the professions that had the least pressure of
being right all of the time was weather forecasters and medical.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2014 6:53 AM, G. Ross wrote:
We got 6 1/2 inches of rain last evening and night. About midnight the
weather radio came on and said there "was the potential of flash
flooding in Cochran and Bleckley County, If you experience flooding
move to higher ground."

I can't believe someone gets paid to broadcast gems like that. They
must be brilliant to get that job.

You must not live by a "freeway" ... the most illustrative example of
just how ****ing stupid this culture is.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 5/15/2014 6:53 AM, G. Ross wrote:
We got 6 1/2 inches of rain last evening and night. About midnight the
weather radio came on and said there "was the potential of flash
flooding in Cochran and Bleckley County, If you experience flooding
move to higher ground."

I can't believe someone gets paid to broadcast gems like that. They
must be brilliant to get that job.

You must not live by a "freeway" ... the most illustrative example of
just how ****ing stupid this culture is.

Nope. Saw one one time. Didn't like it.

--
 GW Ross

 We are born naked, wet and hungry.
 Then things get worse.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 5/15/2014 6:53 AM, G. Ross wrote:
We got 6 1/2 inches of rain last evening and night. About midnight the
weather radio came on and said there "was the potential of flash
flooding in Cochran and Bleckley County, If you experience flooding
move to higher ground."

I can't believe someone gets paid to broadcast gems like that. They
must be brilliant to get that job.

You must not live by a "freeway" ... the most illustrative example of
just how ****ing stupid this culture is.

Nope. Saw one one time. Didn't like it.

Stay away from them. How stupid is it? Only place in the country where it
is against the law to obey the law.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

G. Ross wrote:
We got 6 1/2 inches of rain last evening and night. About midnight
the weather radio came on and said there "was the potential of flash
flooding in Cochran and Bleckley County, If you experience flooding
move to higher ground."

In my immediate area, the rains have not been that severe, but just a county
away (or two), they received 5 inches overnight, with all of the resultant
flooding. Poor *******s - more rain on the way, of (nearly) equal
intensity.

I can't believe someone gets paid to broadcast gems like that. They
must be brilliant to get that job.

It's only getting worse. I've been observing that the local news has been
re-staffing to present more younger reporters, anchors, etc. The result is
an embarassing level of ignorance published on our local airwaves, daily.
These younger people are all about some sort of "excitement" in what they
are doing. Not at all about the heritage of the press that included good
reporting, good investigation before reporting, (god forbid...) a command of
the english language and something that even resembles proper grammar, and a
professional level of hiding one's own feelings/emotions on a topic while
reporting on it. Now it's 20-30 somethings, getting all giddy on-air, and
trying to attract an equally ignorant audience. The very content of the
not-so-newsworthy spots has become almost rediculous. Reporters that are
incapable of stringing together a complete sentence, but handed a mic and a
camera crew, to capture them climbing a rock wall in a mall - and this is
only slightly secondary to mentioning national or international news.

Alright - I'll shut up. Turn off my rant. Good Lord - give me back Walter
Cronkite...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote in message

We got 6 1/2 inches of rain last evening and night. About midnight the
weather radio came on and said there
"was the potential of flash flooding in Cochran and
Bleckley County, If you experience flooding move to
higher ground."
I can't believe someone gets paid to broadcast gems like
that. They must be brilliant to get that job.

Where have you been the last few decades? Have you not observed that people
have become ****in' stupid?

Here in Florida they still buy lake bottom - bottom, not front - land and
moan to the government when the lake rises to normal levels..gotta tell them
that if their property floods, all the snakes that live there will be
looking for higher ground...gotta tell them not to feed the alligators (they
do anyway and then wonder what happened to their dog/cat...gotta explain
that a "sink hole" is not the drain in their kitchen sink.

Common sense took a LONG sabbatical years ago, fortunately so for the
Nigerian scammers.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2014 9:59 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
G. Ross wrote:
[...]

My favorite reporting is the kind where the guy/gal at the scene of the
pot hole filled with rain water spends 5 minutes describing the scene
in as many ways and angles as possible.

Or with our recent rain and the "sure to happen" street flooding at
Fondren and HY59 the reporter described every vehicle that drove by in
the treacherous conditions. As a side note, this location gets high
water if it is foggy or some ones toilet backs up.

If I were the reporter at this same location and there for the same
reason I could simply point and shout "LOOK", over and over and the
viewing audience would get so much more out of the coverage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 5/15/2014 6:53 AM, G. Ross wrote:
We got 6 1/2 inches of rain last evening and night. About midnight
the weather radio came on and said there "was the potential of flash
flooding in Cochran and Bleckley County, If you experience flooding
move to higher ground."

I can't believe someone gets paid to broadcast gems like that. They
must be brilliant to get that job.

You must not live by a "freeway" ... the most illustrative example of
just how ****ing stupid this culture is.

No kidding - thousands of people sitting in their cars - fully aware of what
they were going to get into, listening to some idiot in a news helicopter
telling them that traffic is tied up. I guess it makes for good texting
fodder...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

G. Ross wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 5/15/2014 6:53 AM, G. Ross wrote:
We got 6 1/2 inches of rain last evening and night. About
midnight the weather radio came on and said there "was the
potential of flash flooding in Cochran and Bleckley County, If you
experience flooding move to higher ground."

I can't believe someone gets paid to broadcast gems like that. They
must be brilliant to get that job.

You must not live by a "freeway" ... the most illustrative example of
just how ****ing stupid this culture is.

Nope. Saw one one time. Didn't like it.

Me neither. Around here we have Interstate 81 (which is the major
north-south freeway) and Interstate 690 (which is the major east-west
freeway). By a long shot, 81 is the more trafficed highway. We accept the
fact that the definition of rush-hour traffic around Syracuse is when
traffic on 81 slows to 65mph...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 May 2014 11:01:35 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Unfortunately Dave - the underlying principle you allude to is all to true.
The only exception I might take is in your pointing to the US. Hell man -
it's a global thing... at least in the developed global world.

Hey, no one else had the McDonald's coffee lawsuit case. Other people
in the developed global world have done some damned stupid things and
sued for them, but none of them have awarded someone three million
dollars for driving and spilling a cup of coffee between their legs.

Hell, I'm willing to bet that if the coffee was too cold, she'd have
sued for that and won even more money.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Thu, 15 May 2014 11:01:35 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Unfortunately Dave - the underlying principle you allude to is all to true.
The only exception I might take is in your pointing to the US. Hell man -
it's a global thing... at least in the developed global world.

Hey, no one else had the McDonald's coffee lawsuit case. Other people
in the developed global world have done some damned stupid things and
sued for them, but none of them have awarded someone three million
dollars for driving and spilling a cup of coffee between their legs.

Hell, I'm willing to bet that if the coffee was too cold, she'd have
sued for that and won even more money.

Not to be uncharitable, but you apparently fell for the spin the media put
for the stupid on that issue, and I know damned good and well you're not in
that category.

I thought so at first also ... until I saw the photos of the burns on her
thighs from that coffee. IIRC, she wasn't driving, was a passenger in the
car, and they were stopped in the parking lot.

https://www.ttla.com/index.cfm?pg=Mc...offeeCaseFacts

Photo of the burn here. Careful if you're squeamish.

http://www.scarymommy.com/message-bo...ent-warning/p1

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

G. Ross wrote:
[...]

I used to live just off HWY59 (Marshall) and your mentioning it
reminds me. We were driving south on 59 and nearly everyone was
speeding. Along comes a State Patrolman and he would pull up beside a
speeder and motion them to pull over (which they did), then he would
rush off and pull another one over. When he had about 4 he finally
stopped the last one and the others drifted up behind on the shoulder
to get their tickets. (we were not one of them).
Last time I was out there we saw deputys in trucks with the lights
in the grill so you wouldn't notice them except for the markings on
the door. Perfect camouflage for Texas.

--
 GW Ross

 I got lost in thought, it was
 unfamiliar territory.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
wrote:
[...]

It goes without saying that 190 degree liquids will create quite a burn -
but is that the fault of the vendor? That was and largely is the
temperature of coffee. This woman could have done the same thing to herself
in the privacy of her own kitchen. The ugliness of the photo should not be
the basis for fault. Yes - she was parked as I recall, and she was the
passenger. But she put the cup between her legs to add condiments or
something similar, squeezed too hard and popped the top off the cup. All
was fine until she did that. Does not add up for me that McDonalds should
have been found at fault.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2014 12:20 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

It goes without saying that 190 degree liquids will create quite a burn -
but is that the fault of the vendor? That was and largely is the
temperature of coffee. This woman could have done the same thing to herself
in the privacy of her own kitchen. The ugliness of the photo should not be
the basis for fault. Yes - she was parked as I recall, and she was the
passenger. But she put the cup between her legs to add condiments or
something similar, squeezed too hard and popped the top off the cup. All
was fine until she did that. Does not add up for me that McDonalds should
have been found at fault.

It certainly does for me. If the coffee was hot enough to cause 3rd
degree burns through clothing, it would have unarguably caused the same
burns on the lips and tongue with the first unsuspecting sip.

That the coffee, a drink, was provably too hot to be "drinkable" without
causing burns, was the fault on one but McDonalds.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

It certainly does for me. If the coffee was hot enough to cause 3rd
degree burns through clothing, it would have unarguably caused the
same burns on the lips and tongue with the first unsuspecting sip.

Go figure... for me - I can't drink any cup of coffee when it's poured. I
have to let it cool for a good bit before I can drink it. My wife on the
other hand can and does drink it immediately. She can take soup straight
from the pot - boiling on the stove, pour up a bowl and devour it. I can't
figure it out - I'd be in agony. The clothing part though is really more of
the problem. It's when hot liquids are trapped by clothing that they create
the worst burns because they keep the concentrated heat right there. So -
though it may be intuitive that clothing might seem protective, it's really
quite the opposite. More damage is done by the clothing than if the liquid
had simply spilled on bare skin.

That the coffee, a drink, was provably too hot to be "drinkable"
without causing burns, was the fault on one but McDonalds.

Unless it involves people like my wife. I just don't get how those people
can drink that stuff when it is that hot.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
message
Swingman wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Not my coffee...not after it gets in my cup. No way could I drink coffee at
thet temperature - can you? - so why not serve it at a drinkable temperature
rather than brew temperature?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 May 2014 13:20:46 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Swingman wrote:
wrote:
[...]

+1

Maybe McDs should have put a disclaimer on the cup saying that coffee
is hot. ...so now we're forced to drink cold coffee.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 May 2014 07:32:45 -0500, Leon wrote:

"G. Ross" wrote:
We got 6 1/2 inches of rain last evening and night. About midnight the
weather radio came on and said there "was the potential of flash
flooding in Cochran and Bleckley County, If you experience flooding
move to higher ground."

I can't believe someone gets paid to broadcast gems like that. They
must be brilliant to get that job.

I once told my son that the professions that had the least pressure of
being right all of the time was weather forecasters and medical.

After all, doctors are only licensed to practice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:

Not my coffee...not after it gets in my cup. No way could I drink
coffee at thet temperature - can you? - so why not serve it at a
drinkable temperature rather than brew temperature?

Nope - I sure can't. As I said in a reply to Karl, I have to let it cool a
lot before I can drink it. But - a lot of people like my wife take it right
straight away and drink it. I have no idea how they can do that, but they
do.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

G. Ross wrote:
[...]

Meadows police department next to SW Houston uses white vehicles with
White metal flake paint for the text. Easier to see at night when the
light reflects but during the day you can be sitting next to the patrol
car and not easily see the lettering.
Posted to rec.woodworking

G. Ross wrote:
[...]

The police around here have the same cars, in black on black.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 May 2014 12:33:59 -0500, Swingman wrote:
That the coffee, a drink, was provably too hot to be "drinkable" without
causing burns, was the fault on one but McDonalds.

Maybe so, but that might not be considered out of place. At home, you
put the kettle on, when the water is boiling and it steams it
whistles. You pour it in a cup, add your coffee and take a tentative
sip to test the hotness.

Coffee is supposed to be hot, not luke warm, hot. I'd expect that and
so would most other people I know. It's damned stupid to be putting it
between your legs ~ for whatever reason.

Yeah, this has all been hashed out before. There's not much that can
be added to it now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 May 2014 08:58:35 -0500, Swingman wrote:
Not to mention you're on the wrong side of the historical, already
accomplished, facts of the issue.

Yup, and so am I apparently. I guess the biggest fault here wasn't
that McDonalds was serving hot coffee, but the fact that they didn't
accede to here original claims for compensation.

Guess they were afraid of the torrent of new claims that would follow.
So, either way, they were going to have to pay. That means, that
you're right, there coffee was too hot. Not INHO that it was
undrinkable, but that it's hotness left them open for being sued.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2014 8:58 AM, Swingman wrote:

excuse to serve a DRINK at that kind of temperature ... in this case the
temperature of the served coffee was actually hot enough to melt the
nylon strands in the fabric of her clothes into her burned skin.

Before someone wants to demonstrate their GoogleFu again ... "nylon"
should read "synthetic".

I don't know for a fact it was actually "nylon", but at my age (well
before Mr. Robinson whispered "plastics" into Dustin Hoffman's ear)
anything that was synthetic was called "nylon".

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Coming up with these little tidbits of googlefu'ed wisdom is fine and
dandy for your egos,

Have to disagree with you here Karl - this is information that I know from
having been a Paramedic in a past life. This knowledge has nothing at all
to do with google.

but the ****ing POINT is that there is NO damned
excuse to serve a DRINK at that kind of temperature

Again, I have to disagre. It is accepted practice to brew coffee at this
temperature. Now - that does differ from whether one should actually drink
it at this temperature, but that's where individual intelligence comes into
play. Really - who does not understand that fresh brewed or fresh served
coffee is really freahin' hot? That's where I fault her. It did not, nor
does it take a lot of common sense to understand that a drink like coffee is
going to be too hot when initially served. She really was old enough to
have understood this. It's hot because that's how you have to make it. You
have to wait a bit to drink it. Who really does not understand that?

... in this case
the temperature of the served coffee was actually hot enough to melt
the nylon strands in the fabric of her clothes into her burned skin.

Ok - that might be true, but does that fact really matter? I have not
looked into this enough to even know if that is really true but I'm taking
your word for it in this discussion. What though, does nylon have to do
with skin?

Not to mention you're on the wrong side of the historical, already
accomplished, facts of the issue.

Well - yeah, and not so much. This case was severly reduced in the
settlement, so there is much more worth examining.

--

-Mike-