Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dateline Cochran, GA

Swingman wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 15 May 2014 11:01:35 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Unfortunately Dave - the underlying principle you allude to is all
to true. The only exception I might take is in your pointing to the
US. Hell man - it's a global thing... at least in the developed
global world.

Hey, no one else had the McDonald's coffee lawsuit case. Other people
in the developed global world have done some damned stupid things and
sued for them, but none of them have awarded someone three million
dollars for driving and spilling a cup of coffee between their legs.

Hell, I'm willing to bet that if the coffee was too cold, she'd have
sued for that and won even more money.

Not to be uncharitable, but you apparently fell for the spin the
media put for the stupid on that issue, and I know damned good and
well you're not in that category.

I thought so at first also ... until I saw the photos of the burns on
her thighs from that coffee. IIRC, she wasn't driving, was a
passenger in the car, and they were stopped in the parking lot.

https://www.ttla.com/index.cfm?pg=Mc...offeeCaseFacts

Photo of the burn here. Careful if you're squeamish.

http://www.scarymommy.com/message-bo...ent-warning/p1

It goes without saying that 190 degree liquids will create quite a burn -
but is that the fault of the vendor? That was and largely is the
temperature of coffee. This woman could have done the same thing to herself
in the privacy of her own kitchen. The ugliness of the photo should not be
the basis for fault. Yes - she was parked as I recall, and she was the
passenger. But she put the cup between her legs to add condiments or
something similar, squeezed too hard and popped the top off the cup. All
was fine until she did that. Does not add up for me that McDonalds should
have been found at fault.

--

-Mike-