Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Ax Design

I know that some folks may this this is off topic, but splitting firewood is
using a hand tool to "work" wood, right?

Any way, I saw this article today and followed up on it. There are a lot of
puff pieces out there but this is an in depth look at the tool by the folks
who actually invented it. It is very interesting.

I have bought a lot of different splitting mauls and axes over the years and
nothing compares to this thing. What is most inspirational about this is
that it is mostly the work of one guy who worked on it for many years by
himself. Until he eventually got the design right.

If I was dong much wood splitting any more, I would buy one of these in a
heartbeat. It is made in Finland. The Finish word for the axe translate
roughly into "leveraxe". There are a bunch of articles and pictures of this
leveraxe on the web.

http://www.vipukirves.fi/english/description.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

The description says "fun to work with". First time I have ever heard
of splitting firewood as fun. I like the tire setup.

--
 GW Ross

 The key to flexibility is indecision.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

Interesting, but I prefer my approach...

http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/tr...c-log-splitter

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

G. Ross wrote:

The description says "fun to work with". First time I have ever heard
of splitting firewood as fun. I like the tire setup.

Dunno about that. I grew up with wood heat and still use it at home
(mostly ornamentally) and at my cabin in the mountains (only heat available).
Of the various tasks of getting a getting a load of firewood set for the
winter, splitting it by hand is the most enjoyable part for me. Way more fun
than running the chain saw. You just need to mentally transfer your
frustrations into the log you are whacking. I'm a much more pleasant person
after splitting a cord of wood.

I'm dubious of this tool though. The video shows it making short work
of a knot-free, strait grained piece of what looks like cedar. With
wood like that, I could probably split it with a hoe. The demonstration
also shows the firewood being split by chipping off chords of the circle.
I'd be curious about how it would do splitting log say a foot accross evenly
into two pieces.

--
Frank Stutzman

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 11:10:09 AM UTC-5, Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

I still split firewood, now and then. That ax, I think, would get heavy for me. This ax might be better, in some ways, but I think a traditional ax has its advantages, also. This new ax might be better if you can control the twisting of the handle, properly, once it hits the log. One would likely need strong wrists, to control that twisting, and not allow the twisting ax to uncontrolably twist your wrists, also. The womenfolk and kids might have a tougher time controlling that twisting force. The East German women's Olympic swim teams, of the 70s & 80s, probably wouldn't have a problem handling that ax.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/30/2014 1:26 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

You don't control that head, it's on a sleeve.

I think it has some merit. But ultimately it's a gimick.

BTW I scrapped all my projects. I am now building an ARK in my basement.
When it floats it will lift the house, and I'll have a house boat.

:-p

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/30/2014 1:10 PM, Frank Stutzman wrote:
G. Ross wrote:

The description says "fun to work with". First time I have ever heard
of splitting firewood as fun. I like the tire setup.

Dunno about that. I grew up with wood heat and still use it at home
(mostly ornamentally) and at my cabin in the mountains (only heat available).
Of the various tasks of getting a getting a load of firewood set for the
winter, splitting it by hand is the most enjoyable part for me. Way more fun
than running the chain saw. You just need to mentally transfer your
frustrations into the log you are whacking. I'm a much more pleasant person
after splitting a cord of wood.

Who says you are more pleasant???? :-p

I'm dubious of this tool though. The video shows it making short work
of a knot-free, strait grained piece of what looks like cedar. With
wood like that, I could probably split it with a hoe. The demonstration
also shows the firewood being split by chipping off chords of the circle.
I'd be curious about how it would do splitting log say a foot accross evenly
into two pieces.

Again, I think it's one of those ... really don't need it tools. I think
my axe, and splitting wedge do pretty good. I split a lot of small stuff
too. So I can't see it being useful.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
b.com...
[...]

It may be a cool toy, but I liked the one somebody posted a few weeks back
where they just split the log a little at a time using a lever driven
splitter and changing base pivot point.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast
dot net wrote in message
b.com...
[...]

Here's another one for your perusal:

http://www2.fiskars.com/Gardening-an...6#.U147G6JBzTg

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a Timber Wolf gas wood splitter and it never complains.....
And it is fun to use.
I know, I live in the woods, use wood heat, and have been splitting wood by
hand.....
I finally broke the bank and bought a decent wood splitter. Canada made,
Vermont.....
company .

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
b.com...

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

It may be a cool toy, but I liked the one somebody posted a few weeks
back where they just split the log a little at a time using a lever
driven splitter and changing base pivot point.

I think I missed that one. As a wood burner for heat, I'm not into
splitting little pieces. They burn too fast and do not give off enough
heat. I guess it's all about what you're after. I can see where small
pieces could be very attractive in a wood stove or a fireplace, for pure
asthetic purposes.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 12:40:04 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

I'm with you, I've refined it to carring the log to the splitter with
the excavator, cutting the rounds and stacking them near the splitter.
Pick a good round to put my padded cushion on and start splitting. I
put the loader bucket right next to the splitter so I can put the
split wood right in. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that will
stack the wood for me yet.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I still use my Monster Maul from the 80s. I remember the ad: "No need to be a strong man." Which is true if you split for less than 10 minutes.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/natur...#axzz31Kt1hPeC
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote in
:

I'm with you, I've refined it to carring the log to the splitter with
the excavator, cutting the rounds and stacking them near the splitter.
Pick a good round to put my padded cushion on and start splitting. I
put the loader bucket right next to the splitter so I can put the
split wood right in. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that will
stack the wood for me yet.

Mike M

You might try using the bucket to do the stacking. Load the pieces
perpendicular to the bucket, go to your stack and put the farthest end
where you want it. Tip the bucket down (and adjust the height if needed),
and when things start to slide back away.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote in

Unfortunately I haven't found anything that will
stack the wood for me yet.

Mike M

Unemployed grandson works well and cheap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Unemployed grandson works well and cheap.

Much prefer an existing design called a valve.

Use one to start and stop the cooking stove as well
as another to control gas log for the fireplace.

Significantly reduces the air pollution.

Takes up less space.

Don't have to step outside to get firewood.

Don't have to be concerned about the termites or other
bugs found in stacked cord wood.

Don't have access to natural gas, install an LPG
tank in the back accessible from the street so it
can be filled from the LPG truck.

Need exercise?

That's why the Nifty Past Fifty gym exists. (Or the
gym nearest you).

Good place to meet others with similar needs.

90 minutes, three days a week, works for me.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:536ebbd2$0$35009
:

Much prefer an existing design called a valve.

Use one to start and stop the cooking stove as well
as another to control gas log for the fireplace.

Significantly reduces the air pollution.

Takes up less space.

Don't have to step outside to get firewood.

Don't have to be concerned about the termites or other
bugs found in stacked cord wood.

Don't have access to natural gas, install an LPG
tank in the back accessible from the street so it
can be filled from the LPG truck.

Need exercise?

That's why the Nifty Past Fifty gym exists. (Or the
gym nearest you).

Good place to meet others with similar needs.

90 minutes, three days a week, works for me.

Lew

It's a nice night out there. I think I'm going to grab some marshmallows
and head down to the fire.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 May 2014 21:40:48 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Mike M wrote in
:

I'm with you, I've refined it to carring the log to the splitter with
the excavator, cutting the rounds and stacking them near the splitter.
Pick a good round to put my padded cushion on and start splitting. I
put the loader bucket right next to the splitter so I can put the
split wood right in. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that will
stack the wood for me yet.

Mike M

You might try using the bucket to do the stacking. Load the pieces
perpendicular to the bucket, go to your stack and put the farthest end
where you want it. Tip the bucket down (and adjust the height if needed),
and when things start to slide back away.

Puckdropper

Current 35 year old woodshed was built before the equipment so wasn't
designed to let the loader bucket thru the door but your idea will be
incorporated into the design of the next woodshed which will be
necessary soon.

I sell firewood too, but have found for me I prefer just selling logs
where I load them in the dump t and deliver. Most of what I've taken
down is hemlock and selling them to the mill just isn't very
profitable at current prices.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Unemployed grandson works well and cheap.

Much prefer an existing design called a valve.

Use one to start and stop the cooking stove as well
as another to control gas log for the fireplace.

Significantly reduces the air pollution.

Takes up less space.

Don't have to step outside to get firewood.

Don't have to be concerned about the termites or other
bugs found in stacked cord wood.

Don't have access to natural gas, install an LPG
tank in the back accessible from the street so it
can be filled from the LPG truck.

Need exercise?

That's why the Nifty Past Fifty gym exists. (Or the
gym nearest you).

Good place to meet others with similar needs.

90 minutes, three days a week, works for me.

Lew

Sorry Lew I don't live in Califorina, or a city don't care for the
life you prefer. Your welcome to do what's you like, but it's not for
me. I enjoy physical labor even if I can't do what I used to. The
county put a tax on the wood that I used to haul to the recyler, so
screw them I have an 8" chipper on order and I'll see if I can sell
mulch for a profit on Craig's List.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike M" wrote:

Sorry Lew I don't live in Califorina, or a city don't care for the
life you prefer. Your welcome to do what's you like, but it's not
for
me. I enjoy physical labor even if I can't do what I used to. The
county put a tax on the wood that I used to haul to the recyler, so
screw them I have an 8" chipper on order and I'll see if I can sell
mulch for a profit on Craig's List.

You will be hard pressed to find a place in SoCal that permits
open burning except at the beach in an approved fire ring and during
periods of "Red Flag warning" AKA: high fire danger even that
is not permitted.

In the rest of CA, extreme drought conditions for several years in a
row and have placed the rest of the state on alert.

Some of this is in urban areas, but much of it is in more rural areas.

Take your choice, SMOG or fire, open burning is not a biggie in
CA anymore.

Mulch sounds like a winner but I have a question.

How will you sterilize the mulch so you eliminate the possible
spread of bugs (termites, etc)?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

You will be hard pressed to find a place in SoCal that permits
open burning except at the beach in an approved fire ring and during
periods of "Red Flag warning" AKA: high fire danger even that
is not permitted.

Who cares Lew? It's CA. Just because you guys out there fall prey to every
stupid idea that comes along from some equally stupid idiot, does not mean
that said idea has any value. It's a CA problem. Sorry you choose to live
there and put up with that.

In the rest of CA, extreme drought conditions for several years in a
row and have placed the rest of the state on alert.

Not to mention the cancer alert...

Some of this is in urban areas, but much of it is in more rural areas.

Yup - those city blocks burn really fast don't they?

Take your choice, SMOG or fire, open burning is not a biggie in
CA anymore.

No - the rest of the world does not have to take a choice based on numerous
stupid decisions by the state of California. You guys created stupid
problems and then came up with even more stupid "solutions" - it's your
problem(s), so you guys deal with them. Patently brain dead California
thinking is what got you guys where you are, and equally patently brain dead
thinking is what's leading the sheeple down the next path. Follow on
brother...

Mulch sounds like a winner but I have a question.

How will you sterilize the mulch so you eliminate the possible
spread of bugs (termites, etc)?

Don't matter - it would be outlawed in California. You guys would be better
off to simply outlaw trees.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

[...]

Missed your morning meds again I see or are you just getting an
early start on the sauce?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Missed your morning meds again I see or are you just getting an
early start on the sauce?

Neither. Just commenting on the California way of thinking.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 May 2014 17:52:33 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Missed your morning meds again I see or are you just getting an
early start on the sauce?

Neither. Just commenting on the California way of thinking.

....and doing a damn fine job of it!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Neither. Just commenting on the California way of thinking.

Something you think you are eminentally qualified to do.

Lew