Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default New Ax Design

On 4/30/2014 1:10 PM, Frank Stutzman wrote:
G. Ross wrote:

The description says "fun to work with". First time I have ever heard
of splitting firewood as fun. I like the tire setup.

Dunno about that. I grew up with wood heat and still use it at home
(mostly ornamentally) and at my cabin in the mountains (only heat available).
Of the various tasks of getting a getting a load of firewood set for the
winter, splitting it by hand is the most enjoyable part for me. Way more fun
than running the chain saw. You just need to mentally transfer your
frustrations into the log you are whacking. I'm a much more pleasant person
after splitting a cord of wood.

Who says you are more pleasant???? :-p

I'm dubious of this tool though. The video shows it making short work
of a knot-free, strait grained piece of what looks like cedar. With
wood like that, I could probably split it with a hoe. The demonstration
also shows the firewood being split by chipping off chords of the circle.
I'd be curious about how it would do splitting log say a foot accross evenly
into two pieces.

Again, I think it's one of those ... really don't need it tools. I think
my axe, and splitting wedge do pretty good. I split a lot of small stuff
too. So I can't see it being useful.

--
Jeff