Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike M Mike M is offline

Default New Ax Design

On 10 May 2014 21:40:48 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Mike M wrote in
:

I'm with you, I've refined it to carring the log to the splitter with
the excavator, cutting the rounds and stacking them near the splitter.
Pick a good round to put my padded cushion on and start splitting. I
put the loader bucket right next to the splitter so I can put the
split wood right in. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that will
stack the wood for me yet.

Mike M

You might try using the bucket to do the stacking. Load the pieces
perpendicular to the bucket, go to your stack and put the farthest end
where you want it. Tip the bucket down (and adjust the height if needed),
and when things start to slide back away.

Puckdropper

Current 35 year old woodshed was built before the equipment so wasn't
designed to let the loader bucket thru the door but your idea will be
incorporated into the design of the next woodshed which will be
necessary soon.

I sell firewood too, but have found for me I prefer just selling logs
where I load them in the dump t and deliver. Most of what I've taken
down is hemlock and selling them to the mill just isn't very
profitable at current prices.

Mike M