Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Ax Design

Lee Michaels wrote:
I know that some folks may this this is off topic, but splitting
firewood is using a hand tool to "work" wood, right?

Any way, I saw this article today and followed up on it. There are a
lot of puff pieces out there but this is an in depth look at the tool
by the folks who actually invented it. It is very interesting.

I have bought a lot of different splitting mauls and axes over the
years and nothing compares to this thing. What is most inspirational
about this is that it is mostly the work of one guy who worked on it
for many years by himself. Until he eventually got the design right.

If I was dong much wood splitting any more, I would buy one of these
in a heartbeat. It is made in Finland. The Finish word for the axe
translate roughly into "leveraxe". There are a bunch of articles and
pictures of this leveraxe on the web.

http://www.vipukirves.fi/english/description.htm

Interesting, but I prefer my approach...

http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/tr...c-log-splitter

--

-Mike-