Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is Ridgid Going the Way of OTher Power Tool Makers ???

Is Ridgid Going the Way of OTher Power Tool Makers ???

I've been an outspoken fan of Ridgid power tools for a number of years.
Their contractor grade tools have been very good since I bought my first
Ridgid power tool.

I have over the years bought the following Ridgid power tools which all
still work very well.

Table Saw
Band Saw
Jig Saw
1/2 Drill
Pneumatic Framing Nailer
Sliding Compound Miter Saw

I am sure I have missed a couple, anyway I have been pretty happy with them.
Certainly for the price. On my recommendation my wife bought a Ridgid
router for making cabinet doors. The other day I set it up for her in the
new cast iron table saw extension so she would quit using the rickety router
table she had. Its very nice to work with. While I was mounting it to the
insert plate for the extension table I noticed the power switch was very
stiff to turn on. I don't mean needing firm pressure, but needing all my
strength with my thumb locked and painful to turn on. I asked my wife how
long it had been that way, and she said since she bought it.

blink blink

I plan to make a little switch box to mount on the bottom of the extension
so it won't be a huge issue, but what if we want to use it not mounted up in
the table. That's just plane dangerous in my opinion. In fact when I took
it out of the bag it was turned on. My wife had left it that way because
she couldn't turn it on at all without inserting a screwdriver behind the
switch to give it a little boost.

Ok, everybody has an off day. I suppose even Ridgid can have a problem, so
I contacted them. After finding their contact form I filled them in that I
have been a long time Ridgid tool fan, the problem with the router, and
asked if there was a fix and/or a fix I could do in the field. (I used to
do warranty repairs for a couple other brands when I worked at Tool &
Supply). After several days I received an email saying my response could be
found on-line. Since I had not setup an account I didn't see how that was
possible, but I followed their link which went nowhere, set up an account,
and found no answer. I made a couple more enquiries and still received no
response.

The issue with the tool bothers me on a safety basis since my wife will be
using the tool. The crickets chirping on the Internet in lieu of a response
however is a bit more disturbing. After having been a Ridgid tool fan for
many years (decades maybe?) I am forced to down grade my opinion of them.
They may still be great tools overall, but I will no longer pick them over
another brand arbitrarily when am in a hurry and need something to get a job
done.

Bob La Londe
Licensed Contractor
Commercial and Residential
ROC103044 & ROC103047

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

Is Ridgid Going the Way of OTher Power Tool Makers ???

SNIP Long Rant...

Why not just take it in under the lifetime warranty?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Why not just take it in under the lifetime warranty?

Not a rant, and mostly good background and overall satisfaction over time
reinserted!

And while I am sure you meant well, just take it in where exactly? I should
just stroll across the street form my shop in Yuma Arizona to their shop in
Elyria Ohio? That would be a heck of a stroll for something that could be
an easy fix. If you hadn't judgmentally just snipped everything you would
see my main issue was their total lack of response. I asked Ridgid, and
then I listened to the crickets chirp. Now maybe you thought Ridgid didn't
want people to contact them via their contact form to find out about what to
do about a problem. Maybe they don't, but then they should delete that from
their website.

Geez.

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/29/2014 11:16 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Bob, I would give them a call. There are many companies that don't do
support well over the internet.
You will probably have to bring it to a local service center. They have
them all over, and if not, you will have to ship it.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/29/2014 10:16 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

OK, IIRC Ridged builds plumbing tools and the like but they don't build
power tools. HD pretty much has the market on Ridgid branded power
tools but the power tools are/were made by a variety of power tool
manufacturers. So the quality may very well differ from one tool to the
next. Think how Craftsman tools are offered, many are/were Emerson
Electric, B&D, Bosch, Skil etc. All sold with the Craftsman brand label.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:
[...]

Something to look into, the switch started doing the same on my Festool
finish sander. I opened up the top and discovered that the grease in the
switch rocker lever had dried out. A tiny touch of grease on the mating
surfaces cured the problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Why not just take it in under the lifetime warranty?

Not a rant, and mostly good background and overall satisfaction over
time reinserted!

And while I am sure you meant well, just take it in where exactly? I
should just stroll across the street form my shop in Yuma Arizona to
their shop in Elyria Ohio? That would be a heck of a stroll for
something that could be an easy fix. If you hadn't judgmentally just
snipped everything you would see my main issue was their total lack
of response. I asked Ridgid, and then I listened to the crickets
chirp. Now maybe you thought Ridgid didn't want people to contact
them via their contact form to find out about what to do about a
problem. Maybe they don't, but then they should delete that from
their website.
Geez.

Maybe there is not a local repair center near you - there happens to be one
near me so I assumed they had contracted with shops all around. The shop
near me is not a big operation so it seems unlikely that they're doing
repairs for a large geographic area.

I didn't judgmentally snip your comments - I just cut them in the interest
of space. It's a common practice. There's nothing wrong with your prose
being referred to as a rant - it's not an insult - everyone does it from
time to time.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Why not just take it in under the lifetime warranty?

Not a rant, and mostly good background and overall satisfaction over
time reinserted!

BTW - since you indicated that you have experience opening tools like this
up and are not bashful about doing so, have you considered looking for a
trigger on ereplacementparts.com? I have had good luck getting parts from
them in the past - though I don't know if your router is too new for them to
have stock parts.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 23:13:08 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

Ridgid makes all sorts of tools. It's certainly possible that they've
sold their name to HD for their consumer grade tools but they do make
drills, drivers, and saws that woodworkers would use. They're in
Ohio, IIRC.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/power-tools

BTW, it seems they're owned by Emerson.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Kinda like what I was trying to convey. Emerson is a tool manufacturer.
They build/built a lot of Craftsman stationary tools. They basically
build a lot of tools with other tool names. Now, they very well may
make all Ridgid tool but at one time Ridgid was a separate company
manufacturing plumbing tools.

Strangely enough, you can buy Ridgid plumbing tools most any where,
Ridgid power tools mostly only at HD and recon businesses.

I stand corrected on multiple manufacturers of Ridgid branded tools,
now. IN the early years the Ridgid branded power tools were not all
manufactured by Ridgid the plumbing tool company, IIRC the vac's were
originally made by Emmerson and looked exactly like Craftsman. Robatoy
pretty much insisted that an early Ridgid ROS was identical to one of
the Festool ROS's.