Old December 4th 09, 01:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestion for cordless tool makers

Why not offer a CORDED battery replacement?

If the battery poops out, you could continue to use the tool with a cord -
much like you can with a cell phone.

The working parts business of battery charger that comes with the tool is
smaller than the battery itself, and could easily be fitted in a case the
size of the battery.

In the alternative, why doesn't some clever entrepreneur concoct the device
to sell as an after-market product? Certainly non-OEM battery replacements
are available; why not power-cord replacements for the battery?

Heck, I've got some old batteries lying about, I might just try building a
small DC power supply to fit in the scooped-out innards of one.

Just thinking out loud.

Old December 4th 09, 01:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 6:09*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Why not offer a CORDED battery replacement?

If the battery poops out, you could continue to use the tool with a cord -
much like you can with a cell phone.

The working parts business of battery charger that comes with the tool is
smaller than the battery itself, and could easily be fitted in a case the
size of the battery.

In the alternative, why doesn't some clever entrepreneur concoct the device
to sell as an after-market product? Certainly non-OEM battery replacements
are available; why not power-cord replacements for the battery?

Heck, I've got some old batteries lying about, I might just try building a
small DC power supply to fit in the scooped-out innards of one.

Just thinking out loud.

You should have patented it, next year they will be out, they just
read your post.

Old December 4th 09, 01:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Cliff Hartle" wrote in :

Someone has done this. I think Black&Decker.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Why not offer a CORDED battery replacement?

If the battery poops out, you could continue to use the tool with a
cord - much like you can with a cell phone.

The working parts business of battery charger that comes with the
tool is smaller than the battery itself, and could easily be fitted
in a case the size of the battery.

but will not supply the high current drawn by the tool under load.

In the alternative, why doesn't some clever entrepreneur concoct the
device to sell as an after-market product? Certainly non-OEM battery
replacements are available; why not power-cord replacements for the
battery?

12V tools could use and adapter to plug into a car's cig lighter outlet,or
be connected across one of those "jump starter" packs.

Heck, I've got some old batteries lying about, I might just try
building a small DC power supply to fit in the scooped-out innards of
one.

Just thinking out loud.

"Cliff Hartle" top-posted,screwing up the thread continuity;

Someone has done this. I think Black&Decker.

several years ago,no longer made.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old December 4th 09, 03:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 04:15:35 -0800, ransley wrote:
You should have patented it, next year they will be out, they just
read your post.

I'm sure they all have it sewn up so that nobody can make anything to fit
in the battery slot of their tools without their blessing :-(

re. running from charger, I doubt the charger has enough guts to provide
the power to seriously run the tool (they'll be designed to charge the
battery at a far lower rate than it can actually deliver), but a suitable
PSU could be built to fit in the space of most batteries...

Old December 4th 09, 05:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Why not offer a CORDED battery replacement?

If the battery poops out, you could continue to use the tool with a cord -
much like you can with a cell phone.

The working parts business of battery charger that comes with the tool is
smaller than the battery itself, and could easily be fitted in a case the
size of the battery.

In the alternative, why doesn't some clever entrepreneur concoct the
device to sell as an after-market product? Certainly non-OEM battery
replacements are available; why not power-cord replacements for the
battery?

Heck, I've got some old batteries lying about, I might just try building a
small DC power supply to fit in the scooped-out innards of one.

Just thinking out loud.
I have already done that. Just wired in a small DC wall wart with
sufficient power and use it at my workbench for electric work. WW

Old December 4th 09, 07:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 7:09*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Why not offer a CORDED battery replacement?

If the battery poops out, you could continue to use the tool with a cord -
much like you can with a cell phone.

The working parts business of battery charger that comes with the tool is
smaller than the battery itself, and could easily be fitted in a case the
size of the battery.

In the alternative, why doesn't some clever entrepreneur concoct the device
to sell as an after-market product? Certainly non-OEM battery replacements
are available; why not power-cord replacements for the battery?

Heck, I've got some old batteries lying about, I might just try building a
small DC power supply to fit in the scooped-out innards of one.

Just thinking out loud.

I think there's a couple of reasons, a crummy reason and a good
reason.

Crummy reason: Because it is very much part of their product strategy
that when the batteries quit taking a charge a couple of years after
purchase, *you buy a whole new tool*. There used to be companies that
made affordable tools that lasted a homeowner's lifetime...where are
they now? Gone, their brands walking among us like zombies,
artificially animated by holding companies and investment funds. The
smart money is in planned obsolescence.

Good reason: take this DeWalt that turns up on a random Google search:
http://www.grainger.com/1/1/134517-d...1-2-3-spd.html.
Blurb says it's a 510 Watt motor (it's rare to see Wattage quoted for
cordless tools, but let's take this as typical) so that 18 V battery
pack is putting out 28 Amps. The leftover power bricks you've got
lying around from old cellphones put out *milli*-amps. Sure you can
build or buy a 28 Amp 18 V power supply, but it ain't gonna fit in to
the hollowed-out battery case, and you'll need booster cables to
connect it to the tool.

Chip C
Toronto
Old December 4th 09, 07:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 4:09*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Why not offer a CORDED battery replacement?

If the battery poops out, you could continue to use the tool with a cord -
much like you can with a cell phone.

The working parts business of battery charger that comes with the tool is
smaller than the battery itself, and could easily be fitted in a case the
size of the battery.

In the alternative, why doesn't some clever entrepreneur concoct the device
to sell as an after-market product? Certainly non-OEM battery replacements
are available; why not power-cord replacements for the battery?

Heck, I've got some old batteries lying about, I might just try building a
small DC power supply to fit in the scooped-out innards of one.

Just thinking out loud.

Its a great idea but physics gets in the way.

Take a look at a Malibu light 12v 300W power supply......its a brick.
I doubt that a AC/DC power supply with enough poop to power a drill
will fit in the comparable battery space.

So I think you;d be stuck "making" the low voltage DC "elsewhere" &
supplying to the tool via a cord.
Any appreciable power at lower volts require HIGH amps. High amps
require BIG conductors to minimize voltage drop.

The whole battery thing works because of the asymmetric charge /
discharge times & amperage demands.

btw I rigged up something like this to run my 12v Makita drill/drivers
off my car battery but I had to use HEAVY cables (like good sized
jumper cables). Working with them was like dragging a snake around
with me. My light weight easy to use cordless drills were now less
mobile than a corded 120v drill.

Good thing I made it out of stuff on hand & didn't buy the materials.

I think it is (was) a great idea.........but I couldn't get to work
for me.

cheers
Bob
Old December 4th 09, 07:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 1:21*pm, "WW" wrote:

Quote: "Heck, I've got some old batteries lying about, I might just
try building a
small DC power supply to fit in the scooped-out innards of one."

Been thinking the same!

An excellent basic idea; although I wish batteries were 'Universal'!
And yes a power supply MIGHT be built into a dud battery case to power
a cordless; although it would have to supply a much higher current
capacity than that for just recharging a typical cordless battery,
continuously, over a few hours!

Welcome any comments on the Calcs. below.

Also see my previous post about setting up two old truck batteries to
power our 24 volt computer UPSs. And extending that to our main work
bench. Our good neighbour mentioned recently that he's thinking of
replacing his four transport truck batteries again; before, or during
this winter. So although we have three of his previous ones they'd do
fine. We also have an heavy old-timer 26 volt DC battery charger
supply than can be modified etc.

If the 24 volt proves too high for a couple of the older 12/14 volt
cordless drill with dud batteries and dud chargers am thinking of a 12
volt tap (to keep it simple) or a voltage regulator circuit to step
down to say 18 volts.
To date experiments seem to show that several of these older 12 volt
cordless work fine on anything from 10 to 18 volts; although how much
torque they'd have at 10 volts not yet checked.
The idea being that the now useless cordless drills be used at the
bench; we have some other newer cordless with good batteries and
chargers that still work for outside/portable work. Typically a
replacement Bosch charger was $70+, two new batteries around $50 each,
total $170 plus shipping etc. for a Bosch set (including carrying
case) originally bought for $150! Answer go out and buy new! Price
planned obsolescence? We didn't buy another Bosch however!

Calcs: Typical cordless drill takes say 60 watts? That's 12 volts at 5
amps = 60 watts. Or maybe 100 watts, that's around 8 or 9 amps. If a
typical cordless battery is 2.5 ampere hour it will last about 2.5/ 5
to 2.5/8 = 0.5 to 0.3 hours ( 12 to 30 minutes say) running time? So
somewhere around 5 to 10 amps (at 12 to 18 volts) sounds about right?

Obviously a good idea brewing? And even if a typical cordless required
say 150 watts that's still only 1.2 amps at 'mains supply voltage of
120 volts' .So lightweight lamp cord (18AWG) could be used for an AC
wall plug-in part of it!. Certainly a lot bigger than a Wall-wart but
sounds technically feasible?
Old December 4th 09, 07:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 3:51*pm, terry wrote:
On Dec 4, 1:21*pm, "WW" wrote:

[...]

Oh btw; tried running a cordless without any battery on DC from a
small supply such as those supplied to power a CB radio. The PS was
rated at around 3 amps.
And it worked OK, without load on the drill. And proper polarity +/-
was needed.
Also tried same voltage AC (Approx. 12 volts RMS) and while the drill
rotated and would reverse it obviuosly didn't like it; probably the
speed controll/trgger not designed for AC! Same results with three
cordless of different manufacturers.