Default tool makers: make your own ergonomic handles?

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:02:14 -0500, Australopithecus scobis
wrote:

Greetings,
My collection of samizdat tools

Huh? WTF are samizdat tools? google shows a bunch of hits for
programming stuf but no physical tooling..... and this:

Samizdat /n. a system of clandestine publication of banned literature
in the USSR
[Russ.,= self-publishing house]

is growing nicely. When I shape
handles, I test the grip as I go. They fit my hand, feel good and work
well.

comfort happens where the hand meets the tool when the tool meets the
wood....

I'm currently squaring up stock for a large frame saw (uses the long
Woodcraft blades). I'm considering trying a more extreme handle shape,
like modern molded plastic handles, with, e.g., a flare over the thumb.
Have any of you tried such shapes? I understand (having just made a
couple) why old saws have handles shaped the way they are.

never for a bow saw, but I have borrowed shapes from antique handsaw
handles for other tools with good results.

I made some chip carving knives a while ago with handles shaped for
my finger joints. The resulting handles look organic and radically
asymmetric. They are a joy to use. I'm looking for some shared
experiences with larger tools, which will need a power grip instead of a
precision grip.

If you're going to be pushing the tool for extended periods wrist
angle and grip volume become important.

I'd be interested to see pictures of some of your tool handles. if you
can, please post some on ABPW...
charlie b

Australopithecus scobis wrote:

snip

I'm currently squaring up stock for a large frame saw (uses the long
Woodcraft blades). I'm considering trying a more extreme handle shape,
like modern molded plastic handles, with, e.g., a flare over the thumb.
Have any of you tried such shapes? I understand (having just made a
couple) why old saws have handles shaped the way they are.

I think you'll find that you'll be gripping the frame saw in
different places so one molded type grip will work great
for that grip but be an irritant for others. Suggest making
a quick and dirty prototype, use it for the kinds of cuts
you make and then figure out where and how you want
the ergo-gripping places.

BTW - by carving/filing/sanding a one position ergo
grip into your saw, it's easy to get it wrong. When you
use the tool, the ergo grip then works against you.

charlie b