charlie b

Default tool makers: make your own ergonomic handles?

Australopithecus scobis wrote:

snip

I'm currently squaring up stock for a large frame saw (uses the long
Woodcraft blades). I'm considering trying a more extreme handle shape,
like modern molded plastic handles, with, e.g., a flare over the thumb.
Have any of you tried such shapes? I understand (having just made a
couple) why old saws have handles shaped the way they are.

I think you'll find that you'll be gripping the frame saw in
different places so one molded type grip will work great
for that grip but be an irritant for others. Suggest making
a quick and dirty prototype, use it for the kinds of cuts
you make and then figure out where and how you want
the ergo-gripping places.

BTW - by carving/filing/sanding a one position ergo
grip into your saw, it's easy to get it wrong. When you
use the tool, the ergo grip then works against you.

charlie b