Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: We Never Know

Just found out that an acquaintance of mine suffered a dizzy spell the
other
night while in the shower and showed signs of loosing motor control
functions.

Over his objections, the wife called the paramedics who took him to
the E/R
where the ran either an MRI or a Cat Scan and discovered he had an
aneurysm
in his brain.

Wheeled him directly into surgery where they were able to ultimately
get the
bleeding stopped.

At this writing, haven't learned what the long term results will be,
but there WILL
be some.

He turns 72 later this week and was just beginning to settle into
retirement.

The message is pretty clear.

Nobody gets out alive.

If you don't stop and smell the poesies while you can, you don't have
anybody
to blame but yourself.

The chase to catch the almighty $ often demands and gets a very high
price.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2014 10:02 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

I think the message is to take care of yourself.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 20:02:15 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

If you don't stop and smell the poesies while you can, you don't have
anybody
to blame but yourself.

The chase to catch the almighty $ often demands and gets a very high
price.

Lew

Amen! We're leading a somewhat austere old age because I semi-retired at
50 and completely at 62 or so. But we're living :-). And we had so much
added good times together during those years that we have no regrets.

--
This msg is for rec.woodworking - not homeowners hub.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

I think Lew's message is better. Too many people have fallen prey to the
misguided belief that if they take care of themselves, that all will be
well. That's just not universally true. Too many people have succumbed to
too many things that they seemingly should not have, to justfiy that
thinking. Just had a friend of a friend, and also the son of a friend (two
different cases), die in their 40's after just going down for a nap.
Non-smokers. Fit, active individuals. Take care of yourself? Who can ever
tell?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:lc3plt$qol$1@dont-
email.me:

Leon wrote:
I think the message is to take care of yourself.

I think Lew's message is better. Too many people have fallen prey to the
misguided belief that if they take care of themselves, that all will be
well. That's just not universally true. Too many people have succumbed to
too many things that they seemingly should not have, to justfiy that
thinking. Just had a friend of a friend, and also the son of a friend (two
different cases), die in their 40's after just going down for a nap.
Non-smokers. Fit, active individuals. Take care of yourself? Who can ever
tell?

There are no guarantees, to be sure, but taking care of yourself certainly improves your
odds. Five years ago, SWMBO's parents moved in with us because their health had
declined to the point where they were no longer able to live independently -- and *every bit*
of that was due to problems that could easily have been prevented by proper diet and
regular exercise. Sadly, they had neither. My FIL passed away a year ago at the age of 89
-- having spent his last ten or fifteen years *wishing* he'd died in his 70s -- and my MIL is
now in the "memory care" unit of a local nursing home due to dementia resulting from 40
years of not managing her Type II diabetes, that due to years of poor eating habits and
never, ever exercising at all.

It was sure an eye-opener for both of us, and really lit a fire under our butts to get ourselves
back in shape. Since then, SWMBO and I have lost a combined total of about 75 pounds,
targeting 100, and it feels like rolling the clock back 20 years: many aches and pains that
we thought were going to be perennial companions have simply vanished. We have a
tandem bicycle that we ride regularly -- put 300+ miles on it last summer -- and we're
planning on some real long-distance excursions with it this year, trying to see if we can
manage 100 miles in a single day. Our best so far is 48 in half a day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 15:06:15 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Leon wrote:
[...]

Number three brother died in his sleep on vacation at his SIL's place
in England last year. He was the most fit of the four of us (spent an
hour or hour and a half in the gym every day) and if anyone guessed,
he would be the one to outlive us all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

I am a proponent to staying active. Kids these days have more health
related problems because of inactivity. I started exercising regularly
in 2006 and I feel much better today than I did 10 years ago. My wife
retired about 18 months ago and we ride out bikes quite a bit, 10~20
miles on average.

If you want to feel like you are a kid again, be active like a kid again!

On a side note, a customer of mine rode her bike from Houston TX to
Austin TX in 2 days. That is about 150 miles IIRC. She is in her late
70's.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
email.me:

Leon wrote:
[...]

I understand what you are saying Doug, and I don't disagree, but on the
other hand my mother is in the same sort of home after a very active life, a
very self-suficient life, and none of those other conditions your describe
with your MIL. You just can't point to all of those other conditions or
life patterns as the culprit for everything that happens to people. Stuff
just happens - it's part of life.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/26/2014 6:30 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
email.me:

Leon wrote:
[...]

You are exactly right! But if you take care of your self the odds of
living a longer and healthier life increase significantly in your favor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 21:37:16 -0600, Leon wrote:

You just can't point to all of those other
conditions or life patterns as the culprit for everything that happens
to people. Stuff just happens - it's part of life.

You are exactly right! But if you take care of your self the odds of
living a longer and healthier life increase significantly in your favor.

Genetics plays an important part. Just how much is still being studied.

--
This msg is for rec.woodworking - not homeowners hub.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2014 11:15 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 21:37:16 -0600, Leon wrote:

You just can't point to all of those other
conditions or life patterns as the culprit for everything that happens
to people. Stuff just happens - it's part of life.

You are exactly right! But if you take care of your self the odds of
living a longer and healthier life increase significantly in your favor.

Genetics plays an important part. Just how much is still being studied.

This is true too.

But consider in the cases where twins are concerned, one takes care of
himself the other does not and the differences are pretty obvious.

And or take my mother and her two older sisters. Both sisters did not
take very good care of themselves and did not adhere to their
maintenance drugs. All three smoked until until they died.

The oldest sister died of heart problems at 76. The middle sister died
of basically the same problem at age 75. Their father died of a heart
condition around 66.

My mother did take better care of herself by comparison and took her
drugs as prescribed and died at age 87 from stage 4 lung cancer. FWIW
she was diagnosed with cancer on December 10, 2009 and died 58 days
later so she did not suffer long with the disease.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

But consider in the cases where twins are concerned, one takes care of
himself the other does not and the differences are pretty obvious.

And or take my mother and her two older sisters. Both sisters did not
take very good care of themselves and did not adhere to their
maintenance drugs. All three smoked until until they died.

The oldest sister died of heart problems at 76. The middle sister
died of basically the same problem at age 75. Their father died of a
heart condition around 66.

My mother did take better care of herself by comparison and took her
drugs as prescribed and died at age 87 from stage 4 lung cancer. FWIW she
was diagnosed with cancer on December 10, 2009 and died 58
days later so she did not suffer long with the disease.

Not sure what you are trying to say here Leon. How do the twin sisters tie
into the story?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2014 4:15 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

But consider in the cases where twins are concerned, one takes care of
himself the other does not and the differences are pretty obvious.

And or take my mother and her two older sisters. Both sisters did not
take very good care of themselves and did not adhere to their
maintenance drugs. All three smoked until until they died.

The oldest sister died of heart problems at 76. The middle sister
died of basically the same problem at age 75. Their father died of a
heart condition around 66.

My mother did take better care of herself by comparison and took her
drugs as prescribed and died at age 87 from stage 4 lung cancer. FWIW she
was diagnosed with cancer on December 10, 2009 and died 58
days later so she did not suffer long with the disease.

Not sure what you are trying to say here Leon. How do the twin sisters tie
into the story?

Twin sisters? Two different examples. No I am not going to site any
thing for you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

Sorry - my confusion. I saw the first comment about twins and somehow
thought that's what you were talking about. Man - a mind is a terrible
thing to waste...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:lc6t3k$9g$1@dont-
email.me:

Sorry - my confusion. I saw the first comment about twins and somehow
thought that's what you were talking about. Man - a mind is a terrible
thing to waste...

And a waist is a terrible thing to mind...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default We Never Know

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

Leon wrote:
[...]

It's about risk management. Smoking, weight issues, lack of exercise,
blood pressure, chlorestoral are all factors that likely elevate your risks
relative to one's longevity. I think the best you can do is to manage your
risk factors to give yourself the best odds possible. But, in the end [pun
intended], there are no guarantees.

Dave in South Texas

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
news:lc6t3k$9g$1@dont- email.me:

Sorry - my confusion. I saw the first comment about twins and
somehow thought that's what you were talking about. Man - a mind is
a terrible thing to waste...

And a waist is a terrible thing to mind...

I'm sorry - does somebody actually do that?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
news:lc6t3k$9g$1@dont- email.me:

Sorry - my confusion. I saw the first comment about twins and
somehow thought that's what you were talking about. Man - a mind is
a terrible thing to waste...

And a waist is a terrible thing to mind...

I'm sorry - does somebody actually do that?

--

-Mike-

I was in my late forty's when I almost kicked the bucket, had a stomach area
pain that would come and go finally it was more coming then going. Wife told
me to ER where they ran some test and admitted me. I had serve pantreicatiz
(sp) after 4 days in Hospital Doc told me that if I had waited just one or
two more days I probably would not have made it. So now if something is out
of whack for 3 days I go have it checked out. We have to take care of
ourselves is the bottom line, listen to your loved ones when they request
you to get something checked out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Marty Giblin" wrote:

I was in my late forty's when I almost kicked the bucket, had a
stomach area pain that would come and go finally it was more coming
then going. Wife told me to ER where they ran some test and admitted
me. I had serve pantreicatiz (sp) after 4 days in Hospital Doc told
me that if I had waited just one or two more days I probably would
not have made it. So now if something is out of whack for 3 days I
go have it checked out. We have to take care of ourselves is the
bottom line, listen to your loved ones when they request you to get
something checked out.

Have a friend who has been bothered by pancreatitis attacks.

Can be rest assured that a stay in the hospital will be involved
before
it's all over.

Very nasty stuff.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

[...]

7 weeks later and things are just beginning to fall into place.

Had 4 weeks in hospital followed by a couple of weeks in a rehab
facility
and now at home with 24/7 live in support.

Has muscle strength on left side but without brain control.

His auto driving days are history.

Will need 24/7 live in support at home for at least another
2-3 weeks and then another evaluation can be made.

Meanwhile another member of that group is about 90 days
into stage 4 lung cancer that is spreading to other organs
and have just received that two (2) more of my high school
classmates have cashed in their hands.

Those poesies keep smelling better and better.

About time to do some sailing while still able and warmer
weather is coming to enjoy it.

What's your way to enjoy those poesies?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Those poesies keep smelling better and better.

About time to do some sailing while still able and warmer
weather is coming to enjoy it.

What's your way to enjoy those poesies?

No so much anything directly Lew, but I will say that it just seems to come
more naturally now to enjoy things just for the sake of it, to let go of
junk that I just don't need to carry around, and probably the biggest - to
not have to win every little thing. Maybe that's just a sign of getting
older and lazier, but it's probably as close to enjoying those poesies as I
get right now.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 09:01:57 -0700, "jloomis"
wrote:

Those poesies keep smelling better and better.

About time to do some sailing while still able and warmer
weather is coming to enjoy it.

What's your way to enjoy those poesies?

Lew

I'm still employed, but doing less and less and taking time off more
and more. I have a very unusual job in that I can come and go as I
please, take off all the time I want, and I like the people I work
with. No stress, no deadlines, no good reason to outright retire.

We've been traveling a bit more. This summer I hope to take a very
long road trip from here in CT to granddaughter's graduation in Las
Vegas with stops on the way back at Yellowstone, Mr. Rushmore and a
dozen other places along the way. Three to four weeks with no
timetable other than the graduation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Those poesies keep smelling better and better.

About time to do some sailing while still able and warmer
weather is coming to enjoy it.

What's your way to enjoy those poesies?

Lew

I'm still employed, but doing less and less and taking time off more
and more. I have a very unusual job in that I can come and go as I
please, take off all the time I want, and I like the people I work
with. No stress, no deadlines, no good reason to outright retire.

We've been traveling a bit more. This summer I hope to take a very
long road trip from here in CT to granddaughter's graduation in Las
Vegas with stops on the way back at Yellowstone, Mr. Rushmore and a
dozen other places along the way. Three to four weeks with no
timetable other than the graduation.

You might want to think close to double that time table if you want to
see a dozen other places. Yellowstone alone could take you 3~4 days if
you want to see it all. And while you are near Las Vegas, Page, Arizona
at Lake Powell is beautiful. The all day train ride from Durango CO. to
Silverton Co and back should be on your bucket list. Gunnison CO, Black
Canyon of the Gunnison is a treasure. Ouray CO has breath taking scenes
along the million dollar highway. ........
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Those poesies keep smelling better and better.

About time to do some sailing while still able and warmer
weather is coming to enjoy it.

What's your way to enjoy those poesies?

Lew

I'm still employed, but doing less and less and taking time off more
and more. I have a very unusual job in that I can come and go as I
please, take off all the time I want, and I like the people I work
with. No stress, no deadlines, no good reason to outright retire.

We've been traveling a bit more. This summer I hope to take a very
long road trip from here in CT to granddaughter's graduation in Las
Vegas with stops on the way back at Yellowstone, Mr. Rushmore and a
dozen other places along the way. Three to four weeks with no
timetable other than the graduation.

I'm the other way, un-employed and doing more and more at each job, for
less money. Jobs are short lived, and layoffs keep happening.
Also the terrain has changed, and those in charge are foriegn, and the
value is very skewed, they place more value in people who are quiet and
don't deal with problems, and don't voice them. Those that identify
prolbmes are themselves the problem.

A new world order.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/22/2014 1:56 PM, Leon wrote:

You might want to think close to double that time table if you want to
see a dozen other places. Yellowstone alone could take you 3~4 days if
you want to see it all. And while you are near Las Vegas, Page, Arizona
at Lake Powell is beautiful. The all day train ride from Durango CO. to
Silverton Co and back should be on your bucket list. Gunnison CO, Black
Canyon of the Gunnison is a treasure. Ouray CO has breath taking scenes
along the million dollar highway. ........

The train looks interesting. I'll have to look it all over. We had
planned to go last year, but my wife had surgery and it was a long
recovery. I've driven cross country east to west twice and flew back
and had limited time. This trip I want to do at a more leisurely pace.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

The train looks interesting.

BTDT, it's a fun day.

If you do it on your way to Vegas, you can also drive thru Monument
Valley on the way in Utah and the "Four Corners".

There is also Pikes Peak.

Lew

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:532e0281$0$1326
:

BTDT, it's a fun day.

If you do it on your way to Vegas, you can also drive thru Monument
Valley on the way in Utah and the "Four Corners".

There is also Pikes Peak.

Lew

I've driven and ridden the cog railway up Pike's Peak. The cog railway is
more fun, but the drive up the road is something to experience once. The
drawback to the cog railway is they limit your time at the top. Still, a
great trip and worth doing.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 14:15:58 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

I'm the other way, un-employed and doing more and more at each job, for
less money. Jobs are short lived, and layoffs keep happening.
Also the terrain has changed, and those in charge are foriegn, and the
value is very skewed, they place more value in people who are quiet and
don't deal with problems, and don't voice them. Those that identify
prolbmes are themselves the problem.

A new world order.

If I had to deal with all of that, I'd be retired. I work for a small
company. My boss is the owner. He spends 3 months in Florida plus
some other trips. I've been there 24 years and with few exceptions,
everyone has been there for 10+ years and knows what to do. That
makes my job easy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:532e0281$0$1326
:

BTDT, it's a fun day.

If you do it on your way to Vegas, you can also drive thru Monument
Valley on the way in Utah and the "Four Corners".

There is also Pikes Peak.

Pikes Peak is over-rated IMO.

Dave in SoTex

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

The train looks interesting.

BTDT, it's a fun day.

If you do it on your way to Vegas, you can also drive thru Monument
Valley on the way in Utah and the "Four Corners".

Monument Valley . . . Arizona?

Dave in SoTex

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/23/2014 8:04 AM, Dave in Texas wrote:

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:532e0281$0$1326
:

BTDT, it's a fun day.

If you do it on your way to Vegas, you can also drive thru Monument
Valley on the way in Utah and the "Four Corners".

There is also Pikes Peak.

Pikes Peak is over-rated IMO.

Dave in SoTex

It is cool if you want to see snow in July. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

The train looks interesting.

BTDT, it's a fun day.

If you do it on your way to Vegas, you can also drive thru Monument
Valley on the way in Utah and the "Four Corners".

Monument Valley . . . Arizona?

Dave in SoTex

He was/is close Monument Valley is a region that is centered about 1/2
mile south of the Utah/Arizona border.

Four Corners OTOH is OK to see if you happen to be on that highway. No
reason to go otherwise as it is simply a medallion marker in the middle
of the desert.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'm the other way, un-employed and doing more and more at each job, for
less money. Jobs are short lived, and layoffs keep happening.
Also the terrain has changed, and those in charge are foriegn, and the
value is very skewed, they place more value in people who are quiet and
don't deal with problems, and don't voice them. Those that identify
prolbmes are themselves the problem.

A new world order.

If I had to deal with all of that, I'd be retired. I work for a small
company. My boss is the owner. He spends 3 months in Florida plus
some other trips. I've been there 24 years and with few exceptions,
everyone has been there for 10+ years and knows what to do. That
makes my job easy.

I now work[*] for a very large foreign company but in this case it's
the parent company that's been sick. The US operation is growing
steadily (we've at least doubled the number of employees since I
started 2-1/2 years ago) and we're getting far more autonomy because
of it. It's a great place to work but that's really my immediate
boss' fault. ;-)
[*] Retired from a F-10 company, after 30+ years, and then contracted
to a defense company (what an eye-opener) and worked for a small
company for a few.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 08:04:34 -0500, "Dave in Texas"
wrote:

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
web.com...
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:532e0281$0$1326
:

BTDT, it's a fun day.

If you do it on your way to Vegas, you can also drive thru Monument
Valley on the way in Utah and the "Four Corners".

There is also Pikes Peak.

Pikes Peak is over-rated IMO.

Dave in SoTex

On the other side of the sountry, I've dome the Mount Washington Auto
Road twice. Once with the '72 Vauxhaul HC (Magnum) AKA Firenza 2300,
and once with the 1973 Ambassador wagon.. The old Vaux did the whole
trip in second gear, passing steeming Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs and
other assorted big American Iron. The Ambassador, being an automatic,
looked after itself pretty well but was getting warm by the top.
Scared the wife silly!! (she has a fear of heights - had to keep
reminding her that her bum was still 21 inches from the ground!!)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/23/2014 10:52 AM, Leon wrote:
Yes really. The peak is above the tree line so the altitude is pretty
high.

I was stationed there in 1969....

Take a coat if you plan to drive to the top....

Snow on the top in July is normal at 14,114 feet.

The road trip back then was partly gravel above 10,000 ft.

When you pass the goats and the tree line, you are pretty high
up.

We regularly sent up Air/Mountain rescue choppers to drag some
dumb ass off the face of cliff.

Very rugged country.

On a clear day you can see Albuquerque, New Mexico.