Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Handscrew rack.

I was not happy with my old handscrew rack.. just a couple of pieces of
2x3 in an L shape. I would have to pull off a bunch of clamps to get to
the one I wanted. Anytime I avoid doing something because of the work
involved in getting it done, it's time to fix the problem...

I solved that today with a new rack, not much work... the biggest
problem was finding a place to put my wider rack.

See: http://imgur.com/a/wLzRs

Also I had some newer rockler handscrews that I use by the router and
tablesaw. They did not have a nice riveted stud for the handle. one side
had the head formed, the other was flush cut, but I don't like that
since it usually backs out and causes the handle to break, or it cuts you.
So I created a head forming tool and put a head on the other side. There
was actually more pin left but the sleeve was too large. So once I
started forming the head it pushed the metal down. Now the head is nice
and smooth, and the pin won't back out.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2014 9:34 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Cool!

But, and please don't read anything into this, why is it that
complicated. Does this rack perform a particular function that you were
interested in?

Here is my rack. ;~)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11888395163/

FWIW it took me 20+ years to come up with my solution. Sometimes simple
is difficult to see.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2014 10:15 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Nothing wrong with your rack.. it works and works well.

with your rack, I have to tighten the clamps up, I just want to be done
with them. So this allows me to store them as is.

Again, I don't like to get bogged down... if I find something that
causes me to reach for a different clamp then I am not using the best
clamp.
So if I have to sit there fussing to get it on the 2x4, that's just too
much time...

It's just another way of doing something.
--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2014 9:25 AM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Precisely what I was looking for. Thank you! I really don't use my
screw clamps very often so I never gave much thought to tightening and
loosening them to put them away. My previous method was to stack them
in the bottom of my mobile bar clamp rack.

And speaking of bar clamp racks, and for a similar reason as you yours,
I use my bar clamps a lot and don't even want to lift the K-body style
bar clamp off of the mobile clamp rack to unhook the handle.
I designed the rack so that the clamp simply slides off and on its
designated spot.

Again, I don't like to get bogged down... if I find something that
causes me to reach for a different clamp then I am not using the best
clamp.
So if I have to sit there fussing to get it on the 2x4, that's just too
much time...

It's just another way of doing something.

Well not only different but also in a way that saves time removing and
replacing a clamp that you often use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2014 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

:-0

Well, then you're going to think I am really anal... but I started
stacking some of my clamps upside down... it was such a pain in the ass
trying to get clearance for different levels, then I realized the top
guys upright, the lower upside down, and they just come off no hassle...
pics later.

Again, I don't like to get bogged down... if I find something that
causes me to reach for a different clamp then I am not using the best
clamp.
So if I have to sit there fussing to get it on the 2x4, that's just too
much time...

It's just another way of doing something.

Well not only different but also in a way that saves time removing and
replacing a clamp that you often use.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2014 11:26 AM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Now you can laugh if you want, but it was just too much hassle knocking
into each clamp when they were upright. The handles had to clear the bar
to lift out, now they just slide out. My rack is missing a bunch of
clamps right now, they are clamping up some drawers.
http://imgur.com/a/wLzRs#8

Again, I don't like to get bogged down... if I find something that
causes me to reach for a different clamp then I am not using the best
clamp.
So if I have to sit there fussing to get it on the 2x4, that's just too
much time...

It's just another way of doing something.

Well not only different but also in a way that saves time removing and
replacing a clamp that you often use.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2014 10:43 AM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

You have a solution to that type clamp rack you use.

I would have a better picture of mine but most all of my clamps are
holding my curio cabinet together. ;~)

You can see that I simply grab the handle and slide the clamp off.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Aluminum cooler rack and fishing rod rack help drgas Metalworking 3 May 27th 10 03:34 AM
mount towel rack/magazine rack to ceramic tile mikeasmel Home Repair 3 March 9th 07 02:15 PM
Gun Rack/Cabinet Plan .... Just the rack part... bremen68 Woodworking 4 February 13th 07 02:02 AM
Handscrew Clamp Kits cdo Woodworking 5 November 10th 05 07:40 PM
TIE RACK J T Woodworking 0 January 16th 05 01:34 PM