cdo

Default Handscrew Clamp Kits

Does anyone out there have any experience with the handscrew clamp
kits from Woodstock International or Steelex (they appear to be the
same) and how they compare to the kits from Jorgensen? Do they have
Acme threaded rod or just standard triangular threads?

Also, what sources are available for the Jorgensen kits? I've had
little success finding suppliers for them (USA), and keep coming
across the Woodstock product.

thanks...

cdo
Wood Butcher

I found them he
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=125-055
But they're 3x the price of the Steelex kits, and almost as much as
the complete jorgie clamp on amazon.

I use some HF ones(triangle threads) which I got at a half off sale.
They work ok for me.

Art

"cdo" wrote in message
Does anyone out there have any experience with the handscrew clamp
kits from Woodstock International or Steelex (they appear to be the
same) and how they compare to the kits from Jorgensen? Do they have
Acme threaded rod or just standard triangular threads?

Also, what sources are available for the Jorgensen kits? I've had
little success finding suppliers for them (USA), and keep coming
across the Woodstock product.

thanks...

cdo

Steve

cdo wrote:
Does anyone out there have any experience with the handscrew clamp
kits from Woodstock International or Steelex (they appear to be the
same) and how they compare to the kits from Jorgensen? Do they have
Acme threaded rod or just standard triangular threads?

Also, what sources are available for the Jorgensen kits? I've had
little success finding suppliers for them (USA), and keep coming
across the Woodstock product.

thanks...

cdo

I bought 4 of those kits (The Woodstock International/Shop Fox) from
Grizzly a few months ago, but I haven't made the clamps yet. Paid about
$5 each. They have standard (triangular) threads.

--Steve
cdo

Thanks much for the info - looks like I'll be avoiding them. A few
years back I had a couple of Sears handscrew clamps fail when the pot
metal pivots cracked where they were threaded. I've since learned to
look for the machine turned ends and avoid the cheap junk. It's not
worth it in the long run.

Cliff

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 15:02:07 -0600, cdo wrote:

Does anyone out there have any experience with the handscrew clamp
kits from Woodstock International or Steelex...

AAvK

You might try taking a gander at the fully made ones at Japan Woodworker,
very nice prices, though you may want to ask them about the threads. they also
sell the USA made Dubuque brand which are nicer priced than the Jorgensens
elswhere. I have two (older NOS) Woocraft brand 12"ers that I am more than
positive were made by Dubuque, with acme type threading and are *quite*
well made. What woodcraft has now as their own brand are not USA made
and they don't explain the threads.

The thing about the Dubuques is that the whole clamp costs the same as the
Jorgensen kits that don't have the wood.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

cdo

Thanks for the info Alex. I like Japan Woodworker (my chesels are from
there), but their pricing for most western tools is usually higher
than many other dealers. I did a search for the Dubuque brand and
found somewhat better pricing he

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/screwclamps.htm

They also have the best Lie-Nielsen pricing I've found too...

Thanks again,

Cliff

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:21:51 -0800, "AAvK" wrote:

You might try taking a gander at the fully made ones at Japan Woodworker,
very nice prices, though you may want to ask them about the threads. they also
sell the USA made Dubuque brand which are nicer priced than the Jorgensens
elswhere. I have two (older NOS) Woocraft brand 12"ers that I am more than
positive were made by Dubuque, with acme type threading and are *quite*
well made. What woodcraft has now as their own brand are not USA made
and they don't explain the threads.

The thing about the Dubuques is that the whole clamp costs the same as the
Jorgensen kits that don't have the wood.

Garden lighting - How can I adapt retail kits for better control? [email protected] UK diy 18 June 28th 05 06:50 PM
Hose clamp with Torx screw frank Metalworking 9 July 17th 04 09:13 PM
Pen kits Bob Darrah Woodturning 3 July 3rd 04 07:31 PM
A post by the rep from Adjustable Clamp Co. Woodworking 6 October 25th 03 01:06 PM