Default A post by the rep from Adjustable Clamp Co.

Saw this on a discussion forum today .. .. can't verify it's
authenticity, but I have no reason to doubt it.

For those of you who don't know me, I am the customer service
manager for Adjustable Clamp Company. We manufacture
Jorgensen®, Pony® and Adjustable Clamp products; and yes, the
Cabinet Master Bar Clamp.

The purpose of this post is to hopefully answer all of your
questions, and clear up a lot of the speculation surrounding our
100th anniversary sale on the Cabinet Master Clamp. This is
the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

At the beginning of the year (yes, our 100th anniversary) we
sat down and put together a plan for some specials to celebrate
the occasion. The Cabinet Master promotion being the biggest.
Our main goal was to give a big thank-you to all of the
woodworkers and craftsmen who have been buying and using our
products for so many years. Of course we realized that by
doing this we would increase our market share, and get some
attention in the marketplace. Not a bad thing.

Adjustable Clamp Company is a privately held, family owned
business; yes the same family for 100 years (very cool). The
current owner is a great guy, and a fine gentleman, who really
cares about this company, its employees, and the products that
we manufacture. It's like being a member of the family here.
The reason I'm telling you all of this is that we have no board of
directors to answer to, and pulling off a promotion like this
was not some big corporate strategy, just a way to say thanks.

We offered the promotion to all of our distributors; obviously
not all decided to participate. We did not limit any of them in the
quantity they could order. We put this together last spring,
took all of the orders we could get, and then got busy building. By
getting such a huge volume of orders for one product, we were
able to put together a huge buy of raw materials, saving some
costs. We did not make a single penny of profit from this
sale; we actually sold all of these clamps below cost to our
distributors, and asked them to sell at the great prices you
saw. Again, to say thanks.

We delivered every clamp to every distributor complete and on
time. Nobody anticipated the great volume of sales, and
attention that this sale would cause. I believe that the
quantities ordered by each distributor believed they would last at least

for a full week. For one distributor, it took four (4) full
semi-trailers (48' each) to deliver their order. We had never run a
promotion like this before, and neither had our distributors,
nobody knew what a huge reaction it would get.

Now that Woodcraft has run its promotion, I can tell you that
it is now done. All of our participating distributors have run their
ads. For those of you who did not get any clamps at the sale
price we are genuinely sorry. For those of you who did, we hope
you enjoy your new clamps, we believe they are the finest
available anywhere, at any cost.

Dave Balderstone

In article , wrote:

We did not make a single penny of profit from this
sale; we actually sold all of these clamps below cost to our
distributors, and asked them to sell at the great prices you
saw. Again, to say thanks.

I know many people will scoff at this, but I take it a face value.

The publishing company (newspapers and magazines) I work for is 80
years old this year. For our anniversary issue of the newspaper, we
offered an 80% discount to our long standing advertisers. It was wildly
successful... We went from 80 to 160 pages.

This stuff does happen, and it happens because the people running the
company do indeed want to celebrate more than they want the profit.

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:47:15 GMT, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

This stuff does happen, and it happens because the people running the
company do indeed want to celebrate more than they want the profit.

djb

Not to mention that it's GREAT PR and provides excellent, long lasting
word of mouth good will. How long does a clamp last? A lifetime? G
Every time those clamps get used, some folks will remember the deal,
and talk about it. Good companies still understand the business sense
of good will, even if it's not easily measurable as a line item.

On the other hand, I wonder how many will use his as an opportunity to
turn a quick profit on eBay?

Barry

LRod

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 01:24:37 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
wrote:

On the other hand, I wonder how many will use his as an opportunity to
turn a quick profit on eBay?

One, so far. Although he has three separate auctions going under two
different IDs (as of midday, Sunday the 19th).

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Bob Bowles

We're in lock step and I still think Packard Motorcar Slogan "Ask the
man that owns one" fits despite Packard no longer in business.