Posted to rec.woodworking
j j is offline

Default Sub freezing temps and shop supplies

I have a shop and a paint room that I don't usually keep under climate
control other than being attached to the house.

So, what to bring in, and what to leave out?

So far, I've brought in all the latex paints, and glues, and left out
pretty much everything else. The anticipated low looks to be around 5F.
I have the usual collection of odd products, is there something in there
that may need to be brought in?
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/5/2014 10:26 AM, j wrote:
I have a shop and a paint room that I don't usually keep under climate
control other than being attached to the house.

So, what to bring in, and what to leave out?

So far, I've brought in all the latex paints, and glues, and left out
pretty much everything else. The anticipated low looks to be around 5F.
I have the usual collection of odd products, is there something in there
that may need to be brought in?

I don't know, I can't see from here...

If it's not water-based, probably ok.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

You may have problems with some waxes and like formulations. If the are
emulsions, low temperatures may cause them to separate.

Some solvents never seem to be the same if they are exposed to low
temperatures
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 11:26:57 -0500, j wrote:

I have a shop and a paint room that I don't usually keep under climate
control other than being attached to the house.

My shop just spent its first winter in an attached garage after we
moved. So far the temperature has never gotten below freezing, even
though the outdoor temperatures have been down to the single digits.

Put a thermometer in your shop and check it every morning - you might not
have to worry.

In my old detached shop I brought in anything water based and all the
spray cans.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/2014 11:26 AM, j wrote:
I have a shop and a paint room that I don't usually keep under climate
control other than being attached to the house.

So, what to bring in, and what to leave out?

So far, I've brought in all the latex paints, and glues, and left out
pretty much everything else. The anticipated low looks to be around 5F.
I have the usual collection of odd products, is there something in there
that may need to be brought in?

I bring in anything liquid or paste like epoxy. I have left out spray
lubricants but never tried using them when below freezing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 11:26:57 -0500, j wrote:

I have a shop and a paint room that I don't usually keep under climate
control other than being attached to the house.

So, what to bring in, and what to leave out?

So far, I've brought in all the latex paints, and glues, and left out
pretty much everything else. The anticipated low looks to be around 5F.
I have the usual collection of odd products, is there something in there
that may need to be brought in?

ANYTHING water based, bring it in. Anything else you value and have
room for - bring it in. Lubricants (oils) and pure solvents are not a
problem. Any emulsion and many mixes can be. Rather safe than sorry.
Don't leave resins where they can freeze.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Not directly related to shop supplies but possbly of interest; I recently
discovered that leaving a laptop in a car overnight exposed to
single-digit F temperatures, it would not boot when brought inside
until it had warmed up about 20 minutes or so.

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/2014 9:16 PM, Larry W wrote:
Not directly related to shop supplies but possbly of interest; I recently
discovered that leaving a laptop in a car overnight exposed to
single-digit F temperatures, it would not boot when brought inside
until it had warmed up about 20 minutes or so.

I just check the specification for my Toshiba C55-A5204

Operating Non-operating
Temperature 5° to 35° C -20° to 60° C
Thermal Gradient 15° C per hour (max) 20° C per hour (max)
Relative Humidity 20% to 90% 10% to 95%
(non-condensing)

Altitude 0 to 10,000 meters 0 to 40,000 meters
(relative to sea level)

It is something we do not think about when we think about cold temperatures
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 21:36:07 -0500, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

On 1/5/2014 9:16 PM, Larry W wrote:
Not directly related to shop supplies but possbly of interest; I recently
discovered that leaving a laptop in a car overnight exposed to
single-digit F temperatures, it would not boot when brought inside
until it had warmed up about 20 minutes or so.

I just check the specification for my Toshiba C55-A5204

Operating Non-operating
Temperature 5° to 35° C -20° to 60° C
Thermal Gradient 15° C per hour (max) 20° C per hour (max)
Relative Humidity 20% to 90% 10% to 95%
(non-condensing)

Altitude 0 to 10,000 meters 0 to 40,000 meters
(relative to sea level)

It is something we do not think about when we think about cold temperatures

TOO cold can permanenty damage some LCD screens.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"j" wrote:

I have a shop and a paint room that I don't usually keep under
climate control other than being attached to the house.

So, what to bring in, and what to leave out?

So far, I've brought in all the latex paints, and glues, and left
out pretty much everything else. The anticipated low looks to be
around 5F. I have the usual collection of odd products, is there
something in there that may need to be brought in?

Anything liquid except gasoline.

BTDT, don't want to see the movie again.

BTW, it's -9F in Cleveland and 79F outside my window as this is
written.

Stay warm people.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"j" wrote:

I have a shop and a paint room that I don't usually keep under
climate control other than being attached to the house.

So, what to bring in, and what to leave out?

So far, I've brought in all the latex paints, and glues, and left
out pretty much everything else. The anticipated low looks to be
around 5F. I have the usual collection of odd products, is there
something in there that may need to be brought in?

Anything liquid except gasoline.

BTDT, don't want to see the movie again.

BTW, it's -9F in Cleveland and 79F outside my window as this is
written.

It's -9F here in Indianapolis too. -30F wind chill, but I'll be staying
put. Most schools around are closed today and tomorrow.

Stay warm people.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2014 8:54 PM, Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"j" wrote:

I have a shop and a paint room that I don't usually keep under
climate control other than being attached to the house.

So, what to bring in, and what to leave out?

So far, I've brought in all the latex paints, and glues, and left
out pretty much everything else. The anticipated low looks to be
around 5F. I have the usual collection of odd products, is there
something in there that may need to be brought in?

Anything liquid except gasoline.

BTDT, don't want to see the movie again.

BTW, it's -9F in Cleveland and 79F outside my window as this is
written.

It's -9F here in Indianapolis too. -30F wind chill, but I'll be staying
put. Most schools around are closed today and tomorrow.

Stay warm people.

Lew

Brrr.. just went to take the garbage and recycling out. Wind is howling
about 25 mph right now..... we're a balmy 7f here, so I can't complain.

Almost took another fall on the ice, the other day my dog and I fell off
the steps in the back I could see some of the ice, but where I stepped
looked dry... the look on his face.., I am sure he said the look on my
face too.. as we both slid down looking at each other. I think it hurt
me more than him.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"j" wrote:

I have a shop and a paint room that I don't usually keep under
climate control other than being attached to the house.

So, what to bring in, and what to leave out?

So far, I've brought in all the latex paints, and glues, and left
out pretty much everything else. The anticipated low looks to be
around 5F. I have the usual collection of odd products, is there
something in there that may need to be brought in?

Anything liquid except gasoline.

BTDT, don't want to see the movie again.

BTW, it's -9F in Cleveland and 79F outside my window as this is
written.

It's -9F here in Indianapolis too. -30F wind chill, but I'll be
staying put. Most schools around are closed today and tomorrow.

I don't get that. We've had those kinds of temperatures all throughout the
snow belt forever, and we never had to close schools because it was too
cold. Yes - it's cold for sure, but come on...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

Almost took another fall on the ice, the other day my dog and I fell
off the steps in the back I could see some of the ice, but where I
stepped looked dry... the look on his face.., I am sure he said the
look on my face too.. as we both slid down looking at each other. I
think it hurt me more than him.

Took a similar dive on my keester just today as I walked around the plow on
my truck. Nothing spectacular - just one of those oh **** moments where it
just happens and there you are on your butt. More annoying than anything
else. Fortunately, I had no witnesses to mock me...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 21:44:40 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"j" wrote:

[...]

The soft southerners would freeze to death on the way to school
bundled up in a jacket and ball-cap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2014 9:44 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"j" wrote:

[...]

That's part of that nanny state we live in now.

But on the other hand, half these kids today don't dress for the
cold..... it's not cool. So they come out in tshirts, sandals, belly
showing on the girls...
Many don't come to school with coats... I would watch half these kids
waiting for the bus on freezing days with nothing on..
It doesn't make sense... Where are the parents to hit these kids on the
side of the head and tell them to get smart... stop being an idiot.
--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

I don't get that. We've had those kinds of temperatures all
throughout the snow belt forever, and we never had to close schools
because it was too cold. Yes - it's cold for sure, but come on...

Think about it.

I'm sure you will figure it out.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Bill wrote:

It's -9F here in Indianapolis too. -30F wind chill, but I'll be
staying put. Most schools around are closed today and tomorrow.

I don't get that. We've had those kinds of temperatures all
throughout the snow belt forever, and we never had to close schools
because it was too cold. Yes - it's cold for sure, but come on...

It's not the cold but probably the wind and blowing snow. Clearing our
drive wasn't too bad, but as soon as I got to the neighbor's the wind and
blowing snow made things uncomfortable and possibly dangerous quickly.

Tonight, I spent an hour and a half clearing the ice rink in -8F
temperatures. The wind has died down quite a bit, so it's much more
comfortable out there.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

That's part of that nanny state we live in now.

But on the other hand, half these kids today don't dress for the
cold..... it's not cool. So they come out in tshirts, sandals, belly
showing on the girls...
Many don't come to school with coats... I would watch half these kids
waiting for the bus on freezing days with nothing on..
It doesn't make sense... Where are the parents to hit these kids on
the side of the head and tell them to get smart... stop being an
idiot.

Kids haven't had parents in years - or maybe decades. They have "friends"
that don't want to hurt their feeings. Or something like that...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

I don't get that. We've had those kinds of temperatures all
throughout the snow belt forever, and we never had to close schools
because it was too cold. Yes - it's cold for sure, but come on...

Think about it.

I'm sure you will figure it out.

Started a reply and decided it was not worth it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
j j is offline

On 1/6/2014 8:54 PM, Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"j" wrote:

I have a shop and a paint room that I don't usually keep under
climate control other than being attached to the house.

So, what to bring in, and what to leave out?

So far, I've brought in all the latex paints, and glues, and left
out pretty much everything else. The anticipated low looks to be
around 5F. I have the usual collection of odd products, is there
something in there that may need to be brought in?

Anything liquid except gasoline.

BTDT, don't want to see the movie again.

BTW, it's -9F in Cleveland and 79F outside my window as this is
written.

It's -9F here in Indianapolis too. -30F wind chill, but I'll be staying
put. Most schools around are closed today and tomorrow.

It's currently 9F here in Atlanta. Howling wind. Mixed closings.

A few years ago, the threat of snow closed the city 3 days in a row, no
snow ever fell.

With that said,I'm at least looking forward to a sunny day tomorrow,
something that has been in short supply.

Much construction in the old south was not built with cold weather in
mind. If you have no insulation in the walls, piling it up in the attic
won't help much.

Jeff

Stay warm people.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

j wrote:
On 1/6/2014 8:54 PM, Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"j" wrote:

[...]

Below zero and windy in Syracuse too. It's been single digits for around a
week or so now - made the one day that the temps reached 27F seem quite
warm.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2014 11:35 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

That's part of that nanny state we live in now.

But on the other hand, half these kids today don't dress for the
cold..... it's not cool. So they come out in tshirts, sandals, belly
showing on the girls...
Many don't come to school with coats... I would watch half these kids
waiting for the bus on freezing days with nothing on..
It doesn't make sense... Where are the parents to hit these kids on
the side of the head and tell them to get smart... stop being an
idiot.

Kids haven't had parents in years - or maybe decades. They have "friends"
that don't want to hurt their feeings. Or something like that...

If a parent disciplined a child, the government would be taking the
children away saying the parents were abusing their children
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2014 4:25 AM, j wrote:
On 1/6/2014 8:54 PM, Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"j" wrote:

[...]

No insulation in the walls must be old construction.. even down south
insulation is added to keep it cool in the heat.
insulation in the attic is to keep the heat from the roof from getting
into the house. The attic cooks...

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

That's part of that nanny state we live in now.

But on the other hand, half these kids today don't dress for the
cold..... it's not cool. So they come out in tshirts, sandals, belly
showing on the girls...
Many don't come to school with coats... I would watch half these kids
waiting for the bus on freezing days with nothing on..
It doesn't make sense... Where are the parents to hit these kids on
the side of the head and tell them to get smart... stop being an
idiot.

Kids haven't had parents in years - or maybe decades. They have
"friends"
that don't want to hurt their feeings. Or something like that...

If a parent disciplined a child, the government would be taking the
children away saying the parents were abusing their children

true..

We have all the so called experts...
I'm sure half the kids of parents that are some sort of psych are messed
up beyond belief.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2014 11:35 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Kids haven't had parents in years - or maybe decades. They have "friends"
that don't want to hurt their feelings. Or something like that...

Hey, don't talk like that. It's not good for their self esteem. You
should apologize and give them a trophy for getting out of bed this
morning.
Posted to rec.woodworking
j j is offline

On 1/7/2014 10:17 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/7/2014 4:25 AM, j wrote:
On 1/6/2014 8:54 PM, Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"j" wrote:

[...]

I think fiberglass, which was invented in '38, was the first practical
cavity insulation. Before that, usually wall insulation depended on some
fibre board and whatever R value the siding and cavity had. R3 was
lucky. At least the houses I've seen here that date from even the 60's
and 70's have nothing but sheet insulation under the siding. We are a
few decades behind the north in insulation, not so with AC.

Housing here is either mostly old poorly insulated houses (unless retro
fitted). Or late model condos and apartments, which are tight, but not
for people who do things like woodworking. Or they are McMansions (or
Mansions) which are so big and bloated as to be energy hogs.

It's taken me a while to tighten up my '29 home. Almost there...

Jeff

insulation in the attic is to keep the heat from the roof from getting
into the house. The attic cooks...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Mike Marlow wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

Almost took another fall on the ice, the other day my dog and I fell
off the steps in the back I could see some of the ice, but where I
stepped looked dry... the look on his face.., I am sure he said the
look on my face too.. as we both slid down looking at each other. I
think it hurt me more than him.

Took a similar dive on my keester just today as I walked around the plow on
my truck. Nothing spectacular - just one of those oh **** moments where it
just happens and there you are on your butt. More annoying than anything
else. Fortunately, I had no witnesses to mock me...

I remember falling on the ice while carrying a TV set, fortunately it was
way back in my younger days when I could more easily react to a situation
like that. I was able to sort of fall straight down onto my ass and
put the television on my lap to keep it from being damaged. Then I slid
on my butt, with the TC on my lap, down the somewhat inclined sidewalk
about 20 yards or so. The young lady I was helping saw the whole thing
and she was laughing her head off.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just south of Atlanta..it was so cold here it was 12 at midnight. tired old joke. Am seeing a new house go up and the insulation work is pretty interesting. Single level home on a 3 ft crawlspace. Spray foam on the walls of the crawlspace, plastic over the dirt, nothing underneath the flooring. Inside walls and inside of roof all sprayed, all wiring, plumbing holes in floor and wall foamed. Insulation guy says they don't need insulation over the ceiling and under the floor because any outside temp change is accounted for underneath the roof and on the walls of the crawlspace. I guess time will tell but that is a long way from fiberglass or rockwool in the attic and under the floor. I know it is a lot more expensive initially but supposed to recoup through lower energy bills.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 1/5/2014 9:16 PM, Larry W wrote:
Not directly related to shop supplies but possbly of interest; I recently
discovered that leaving a laptop in a car overnight exposed to
single-digit F temperatures, it would not boot when brought inside
until it had warmed up about 20 minutes or so.

I just check the specification for my Toshiba C55-A5204

Operating Non-operating
Temperature 5° to 35° C -20° to 60° C
Thermal Gradient 15° C per hour (max) 20° C per hour (max)
Relative Humidity 20% to 90% 10% to 95%
(non-condensing)

That is key. If you bring it inside when it's extremely cold, leave
it in its case for some time so it doesn't take a bath.

Oven temps Dave[_63_] UK diy 51 October 31st 13 10:30 PM
OK to paint outside when overnight temps below freezing? kansascats Home Repair 10 December 11th 11 03:02 PM
painting at low temps Uno Home Repair 13 November 9th 11 01:21 PM
kerosene in low temps Phil Donnelly UK diy 14 January 14th 10 11:13 AM
pumps? - water supply - no basement - freezing temps Joan Home Repair 5 April 14th 06 02:16 AM