Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The sewing room project is completed

Two weeks ago Yesterday I bought materials rot my wife's quilting studio
cabinets. These two cabinets were to support her 132" long arm sewing
machine and provide much needed storage. Prior to today the machine
resided on two fold up lunch room tables.

Two weeks start to finish, not bad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11002063544/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/22/2013 6:52 PM, Leon wrote:
Two weeks ago Yesterday I bought materials rot my wife's quilting studio
cabinets. These two cabinets were to support her 132" long arm sewing
machine and provide much needed storage. Prior to today the machine
resided on two fold up lunch room tables.

Two weeks start to finish, not bad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11002063544/

Dayum, Bubba ... you're getting good! Two times!

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 11/22/2013 6:59 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/22/2013 6:52 PM, Leon wrote:
Two weeks ago Yesterday I bought materials rot my wife's quilting
studio cabinets. These two cabinets were to support her 132" long
arm sewing machine and provide much needed storage. Prior to today
the machine resided on two fold up lunch room tables.

Two weeks start to finish, not bad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11002063544/

Dayum, Bubba ... you're getting good! Two times!

Muchie Garcia!

Very nice, once again Leon! That's one hell of a sewing machine, too!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

Two weeks ago Yesterday I bought materials rot my wife's
quilting studio cabinets. These two cabinets were to
support her 132" long arm sewing machine and provide much
needed storage. Prior to today the machine resided on
two fold up lunch room tables.
Two weeks start to finish, not bad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11002063544/

Looks great. Can she do sails too?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/23/2013 6:54 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

Two weeks ago Yesterday I bought materials rot my wife's
quilting studio cabinets. These two cabinets were to
support her 132" long arm sewing machine and provide much
needed storage. Prior to today the machine resided on
two fold up lunch room tables.
Two weeks start to finish, not bad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11002063544/

Looks great. Can she do sails too?

Thank you!

and Sure! Send two identical sails down and she quilt them and make'm
nice and thick. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/23/2013 6:47 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 11/22/2013 6:59 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/22/2013 6:52 PM, Leon wrote:
Two weeks ago Yesterday I bought materials rot my wife's quilting
studio cabinets. These two cabinets were to support her 132" long
arm sewing machine and provide much needed storage. Prior to today
the machine resided on two fold up lunch room tables.

Two weeks start to finish, not bad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11002063544/

Dayum, Bubba ... you're getting good! Two times!

Muchie Garcia!

Very nice, once again Leon! That's one hell of a sewing machine, too!

Thank you Mike, That walnut that I used painted up reeeeel nice. ;~)

Yeah that sewing machine was an anniversary present to my wife 9 years
ago this coming spring. In our old house where we had only one room,
the living room, that large enough to set it up she had to set it up and
disassemble it every time she used. The long poles and tracks all broke
down short enough to be stored away. That worked out since she only
used it about 5~6 a year. The machine actually only has one job,
quilting/combining the top, bottom, and middle layers of a quilt.
Before getting this machine sewing those sections together, with a
regular sewing machine, was a 2 day event for each quilt, with the long
arm machine it is a 2~3 hour event for a king size.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
Two weeks ago Yesterday I bought materials rot my wife's quilting studio
cabinets. These two cabinets were to support her 132" long arm sewing
machine and provide much needed storage. Prior to today the machine
resided on two fold up lunch room tables.

Two weeks start to finish, not bad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11002063544/

Now you need to make her some more shelves. LOL

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/23/2013 8:26 AM, Swingman wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
Two weeks ago Yesterday I bought materials rot my wife's quilting studio
cabinets. These two cabinets were to support her 132" long arm sewing
machine and provide much needed storage. Prior to today the machine
resided on two fold up lunch room tables.

Two weeks start to finish, not bad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11002063544/

Now you need to make her some more shelves. LOL

Yeah... This is phase 1. I next will be building a 30" x 96" sewing
table for her regular sewing machine and the embroidery machine.
Basically our office desk lower section again with lots of drawers.

Then a wall of cabinets some where around 12" deep, 80" tall and 72 ~96"
wide.

And then the shelves in the remaining wall space. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, November 23, 2013 8:49:54 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
On 11/23/2013 8:26 AM, Swingman wrote: Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote: Now you need to make her some more shelves. LOL

Yeah... This is phase 1. .... And then the shelves in the remaining wall space. LOL

Shelves .... and thread rack (Phase 4?)? You can't stop at phase 3, thems womens always think of something else to add!

Looks great.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/23/2013 11:27 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, November 23, 2013 8:49:54 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
On 11/23/2013 8:26 AM, Swingman wrote: Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote: Now you need to make her some more shelves. LOL

Yeah... This is phase 1. .... And then the shelves in the remaining wall space. LOL

Shelves .... and thread rack (Phase 4?)? You can't stop at phase 3, thems womens always think of something else to add!

Looks great.

Sonny

A previous cabinet that I built for her has a 30" x 20" x 4" deep drawer
with a top tray that slides from one side to the other. The drawer is
full of thread plus she has two smaller thread racks.

And Thank you!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Thank you Mike, That walnut that I used painted up reeeeel nice. ;~)

But... you didn't use pink, or even yellow...

Yeah that sewing machine was an anniversary present to my wife 9 years
ago this coming spring. In our old house where we had only one room,
the living room, that large enough to set it up she had to set it up
and disassemble it every time she used. The long poles and tracks
all broke down short enough to be stored away. That worked out since
she only used it about 5~6 a year. The machine actually only has one
job, quilting/combining the top, bottom, and middle layers of a quilt.
Before getting this machine sewing those sections together, with a
regular sewing machine, was a 2 day event for each quilt, with the
long arm machine it is a 2~3 hour event for a king size.

I showed my wife the picture and she knew immediately what it was and went
on to talk about how expensive it is to have someone with one of these do a
quilt for you. My wife makes quilts but she does it the hard way on her
Janome (sp?) that I bought her for Christmas a few years ago. Days - yes...
and more than just a couple.

I thought it was cool 'cause it looked like a machine. A real machine.
Chrome rails, sitting on a nicely painted walnut base, and in a room clearly
designed for just that purpose. Even a guy can appreciate what yer wife has
there.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/23/2013 8:04 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

[...]

My wife charges 1 1/2 to 2 cents per square inch to quilt a presewed top
and bottom. I think that is way too cheap IMHO, A king sized quilt
goes for $150 to $200 depending on the details of the stitch pattern.

I thought it was cool 'cause it looked like a machine. A real machine.
Chrome rails, sitting on a nicely painted walnut base, and in a room clearly
designed for just that purpose. Even a guy can appreciate what yer wife has
there.

It is a machine alright... heavy. FWIW I also designed and built the
unfinished rails and leveling system that the tracks are attached to.
The tracks are white. The rails and track had to be broken down and
reassembled each time she used it at out other house. No more of that
fortunately

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

My wife charges 1 1/2 to 2 cents per square inch to quilt a presewed
top and bottom. I think that is way too cheap IMHO, A king sized
quilt goes for $150 to $200 depending on the details of the stitch
pattern.

My father-in-law's wife gave my middle daughter a quilt for her wedding
present. She had a lady with one of those machines quilt the layers and it
cost her $200. I'm not sure what size it was but I'm guessing King size.

I thought it was cool 'cause it looked like a machine. A real
machine. Chrome rails, sitting on a nicely painted walnut base, and
in a room clearly designed for just that purpose. Even a guy can
appreciate what yer wife has there.

It is a machine alright... heavy. FWIW I also designed and built the
unfinished rails and leveling system that the tracks are attached to.
The tracks are white. The rails and track had to be broken down and
reassembled each time she used it at out other house. No more of that
fortunately

That's a pain - I'm sure she is loving having a dedicated space now. I know
my wife still loves the sewing room I built for her in the basement. It's
not huge but it's not cramped either. One wall is all peg board so she can
hang different stuff on it, built in ironing board that folds up into that
wall, some adjustable shelving. She's turned it into more of a craft room
now than just a sewing room, and does her scrapbooking down there, and that
kind of thing, as well. She couldn't get used to the idea of having a
bathroom down there since it was a long time before I finally finished that,
and for the longest time she'd run upstairs to use the bathroom - only to
realize afterwards that she only had to turn a corner.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/24/2013 7:17 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

[...]

Loving the dedicated space for three years now, loving it more now that
we have used a Sketchup model drawing of the upstairs to design and lay
out the machinery, cutting tables, and cabinets in a different layout..

AAMOF I have a complete model drawing of our complete house. I laid out
my shop this way and every piece of furniture that I have built was
placed prior to building so that we can see how it is going to look from
every angle before committing to the design.

Our upstairs has a relative large single bedroom with walk in closet, a
game room/media room, and a full bath. That is all hers for all her
stuff. The bedroom does have a couple of twin beds for younger
visitors. ;~) All together the upstairs is approximately 600 sq ft.
The room with the long arm sewing machine, pictured, is twice as long as
the machine is long and about 15 feet across. That main room takes up
about 350 feet of the 600.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

That does seem cheap. SWMBO paid $1600 for our quilt six or seven
years ago. Quilts aren't cheap and that's a significant part of the
work.

I thought it was cool 'cause it looked like a machine. A real machine.
Chrome rails, sitting on a nicely painted walnut base, and in a room clearly
designed for just that purpose. Even a guy can appreciate what yer wife has
there.

It is a machine alright... heavy. FWIW I also designed and built the
unfinished rails and leveling system that the tracks are attached to.
The tracks are white. The rails and track had to be broken down and
reassembled each time she used it at out other house. No more of that
fortunately

Ah, so you didn't do it for her. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

The prices I mentioned are strictly for the mating of three main
sections of the quilt. While that is a pretty tedious and time
consuming job on a regular sized stationary sewing machine it only takes
a few hours to do on the long arm machine. The tops however can take
even longer and are only assembled with a regular style sewing machine.
Tops can take weeks to cut out and assemble. That is not so boring as
doing the actual quilting of the three sections but must be carefully
cut out and assembled. My wife makes quilts from start to finish while
many quilters will simply put together the tops and bottoms and hire
some like my wife to do the mating of the layers.

Now get this. My wife's long arm machine is pretty basic, strictly
manual, although it does have an expensive option that controls the
stitch speed according to how fast you are moving the machine. The
needle moves faster when you move fast and slows when your movements
slow for curves or what ever. She can up grad this machine so that it
is completely computerized and the machine moves and sews the pattern
selected by itself. These robot type machines range in price from
$15K~$50k. 8 years ago I paid about $7k of her machine with the $1500
stitch regulator option.

I thought it was cool 'cause it looked like a machine. A real machine.
Chrome rails, sitting on a nicely painted walnut base, and in a room clearly
designed for just that purpose. Even a guy can appreciate what yer wife has
there.

It is a machine alright... heavy. FWIW I also designed and built the
unfinished rails and leveling system that the tracks are attached to.
The tracks are white. The rails and track had to be broken down and
reassembled each time she used it at out other house. No more of that
fortunately

Ah, so you didn't do it for her. ;-)

LOL. She, my son, and I would set it up and break it down. I built a
special cabinet to house the machine, the poles which broke down into 12
pieces, the end brackets and carriage and a ton of other stuff. The
fold up tables went under beds, behind beds, the tracks went into
closets....

We got to where we could assemble and level the tracks in about 15~20
minutes start to finish. I don't miss those days, it went up in the
living room and stayed there 2~5 days and it totally blocked the TV. ;~(

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

Understood. I was just giving sorta a size to the problem. I'm still
impressed it's only a couple of hundred bucks. It's not only
significant work but work requiring specialized equipment.

Tops can take weeks to cut out and assemble. That is not so boring as
doing the actual quilting of the three sections but must be carefully
cut out and assembled. My wife makes quilts from start to finish while
many quilters will simply put together the tops and bottoms and hire
some like my wife to do the mating of the layers.

Seeing what you do with wood, I'm sure her work is exquisite.

Now get this. My wife's long arm machine is pretty basic, strictly
manual, although it does have an expensive option that controls the
stitch speed according to how fast you are moving the machine. The
needle moves faster when you move fast and slows when your movements
slow for curves or what ever. She can up grad this machine so that it
is completely computerized and the machine moves and sews the pattern
selected by itself. These robot type machines range in price from
$15K~$50k. 8 years ago I paid about $7k of her machine with the $1500
stitch regulator option.

Sure. Look what CNC routers cost. They're cute toys but I think I'd
get bored. While I'd never have the patience to become a neander,
there's something wrong with the idea of sitting behind a computer. I
do enough of that to pay for the toys.