Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The sewing room project is completed

Leon wrote:

My wife charges 1 1/2 to 2 cents per square inch to quilt a presewed
top and bottom. I think that is way too cheap IMHO, A king sized
quilt goes for $150 to $200 depending on the details of the stitch
pattern.

My father-in-law's wife gave my middle daughter a quilt for her wedding
present. She had a lady with one of those machines quilt the layers and it
cost her $200. I'm not sure what size it was but I'm guessing King size.

I thought it was cool 'cause it looked like a machine. A real
machine. Chrome rails, sitting on a nicely painted walnut base, and
in a room clearly designed for just that purpose. Even a guy can
appreciate what yer wife has there.

It is a machine alright... heavy. FWIW I also designed and built the
unfinished rails and leveling system that the tracks are attached to.
The tracks are white. The rails and track had to be broken down and
reassembled each time she used it at out other house. No more of that
fortunately

That's a pain - I'm sure she is loving having a dedicated space now. I know
my wife still loves the sewing room I built for her in the basement. It's
not huge but it's not cramped either. One wall is all peg board so she can
hang different stuff on it, built in ironing board that folds up into that
wall, some adjustable shelving. She's turned it into more of a craft room
now than just a sewing room, and does her scrapbooking down there, and that
kind of thing, as well. She couldn't get used to the idea of having a
bathroom down there since it was a long time before I finally finished that,
and for the longest time she'd run upstairs to use the bathroom - only to
realize afterwards that she only had to turn a corner.

--

-Mike-