Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Last Project Completed

For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer.
Of course I forgot to take my good camera and the camera phone had to
do.
White Oak solid wood and plywood. Clear Old Masters Gel varnish. Not a
bad varnish but needs to be wiped twice after each application rather
than the single time that I have been used to doing. There are probably
close to 250 floating tenons in the sides, face frames, and doors.

The customer has door pulls on order and I will return to attach them.
I hope to take much better pictures then.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Very nice Leon I can only hope to be half as good. I'll be able to get some
extra practice now, hurt my back and on Workers Comp. now can you imagine
66yrs. old and still trying to work. Have a good one.

Sal

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer.
Of course I forgot to take my good camera and the camera phone had to do.
White Oak solid wood and plywood. Clear Old Masters Gel varnish. Not a
bad varnish but needs to be wiped twice after each application rather than
the single time that I have been used to doing. There are probably close
to 250 floating tenons in the sides, face frames, and doors.

The customer has door pulls on order and I will return to attach them. I
hope to take much better pictures then.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2012 6:51 PM, sal wrote:
[...]

Thank you Sal and get better!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:40:25 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer.
Of course I forgot to take my good camera and the camera phone had to
do.
White Oak solid wood and plywood. Clear Old Masters Gel varnish. Not a
bad varnish but needs to be wiped twice after each application rather
than the single time that I have been used to doing. There are probably
close to 250 floating tenons in the sides, face frames, and doors.

The customer has door pulls on order and I will return to attach them.
I hope to take much better pictures then.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Very nice. I wouldn't object to having those in my living room. I
wouldn't choose to have the front plywood panels be so much lighter
than the solid oak, but I can understand that someone else could
prefer the contrast.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer.
Of course I forgot to take my good camera and the camera phone had to
do.
White Oak solid wood and plywood. Clear Old Masters Gel varnish. Not a
bad varnish but needs to be wiped twice after each application rather
than the single time that I have been used to doing. There are probably
close to 250 floating tenons in the sides, face frames, and doors.

The customer has door pulls on order and I will return to attach them.
I hope to take much better pictures then.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Very nice. I wouldn't object to having those in my living room. I
wouldn't choose to have the front plywood panels be so much lighter
than the solid oak, but I can understand that someone else could
prefer the contrast.

Thank you Jim, it is mostly the lighting that exaggerates the contrast.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2012 5:40 PM, Leon wrote:
For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer.
Of course I forgot to take my good camera and the camera phone had to do.
White Oak solid wood and plywood. Clear Old Masters Gel varnish. Not a
bad varnish but needs to be wiped twice after each application rather
than the single time that I have been used to doing. There are probably
close to 250 floating tenons in the sides, face frames, and doors.

The customer has door pulls on order and I will return to attach them. I
hope to take much better pictures then.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

love your work, Leon. Where are you located?

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer.
Of course I forgot to take my good camera and the camera phone had to do.
White Oak solid wood and plywood. Clear Old Masters Gel varnish. Not a
bad varnish but needs to be wiped twice after each application rather than
the single time that I have been used to doing. There are probably close
to 250 floating tenons in the sides, face frames, and doors.

The customer has door pulls on order and I will return to attach them. I
hope to take much better pictures then.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Beautiful work. Did you use tempered glass? WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 17, 5:40 pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer.
Of course I forgot to take my good camera and the camera phone had to
do.

Damnit, Leon.... don't make me come over there... =^0

You do all that beautiful work and you record your efforts with a
camera phone? Seriously, as we talked about as a passing comment at
Christmas, you should truly consider an album/portfolio of your work.

Same with Karl. He does a nice job with his job photos, but he has a
lot of nice pieces in his house, too. Stuff to be proud of.

I am rarely without a camera these days. I document so much stuff
that I keep one in the truck almost all the time. And with the newest
camera I scored a really nice wide angle lens, Li battery, and found
batteries and 16GB cards with work with it just fine at Amazon.
Camera + batteries and big cards was about $130 after a pile of
discounts. But you can get a nice camera for documenting your work
(*hint* hint*) for less than that these days.

I have been at this business too long and honestly look back at some
of my finished work and wish I had taken just 15 minutes (or less... )
to snap a few pictures for me to look at later.

A few years ago I had a client that let me design their molding
install patterns, their crown molding profiles (using existing stock)
from the base molding (wood molding wrapped around curves) to the
ceiling treatments. These well heeled folks were delighted at the
fact that their moldings looked like no other, like their large 4
piece chair rails, down to the custom window sills with little crown
moldings (and returns!) underneath them.

They were so happy with the work they paid me to stay and personally
paint it all. In the end, I am not sure who was more proud of that
work, me or them.

But did I take a picture? NOOOOOO...... dumbass. What a
dumbass.
That opportunity was there and gone quickly as they couldn't wait to
move their furniture in and hang their pictures.

Not only did I miss an opportunity for a sales tool, but to remind
myself that not all of the work I do isn't just same sh*t, different
day.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 22:59:20 -0700 (PDT), "
But did I take a picture? NOOOOOO...... dumbass. What a
dumbass.
That opportunity was there and gone quickly as they couldn't wait to
move their furniture in and hang their pictures.

Same old question. If you don't have any pictures, did it really
happen? I went one worse, at least it was worse in my books.

Many pictures of my projects over the years. My computer died and so
(for the time being, did all my saved images and information). Dumb
ass that I am, I didn't have any of it backed up.

The sad part of the whole fiasco, is that I'm always telling friends
that they need to back up their information. Good advice. Me? I'm too
stupid to follow my own advise.

I have one avenue of hope. The information I had stored was on SCSI
drives, a standard which is just about obsolete. I just might, be able
to cobble together enough of a setup to run those SCSI drives and
recover my information.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 18, 12:59*am, "
wrote:
[...]

We crashed (again) as a result of a lightning strike a couple of years
ago and took the hint. I purchased one of the small portable Seagate
hard drives that comes with automatic backup software. It spends most
of its life in our safety deposit box where it is retrieved about once
a month for update. Today, I would have likely just opted for one of
the now-cheap high capacity flash drives. I also use one of those
pretty regularly to backup files that are important.

Granted, this works well for us because our small town bank is four
blocks away and retrieving the drive is no big deal. But with the
drive at a remote location it is safe from fire, tornado, theft, etc.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2012 9:29 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
On 4/17/2012 5:40 PM, Leon wrote:
For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer.
Of course I forgot to take my good camera and the camera phone had to do.
White Oak solid wood and plywood. Clear Old Masters Gel varnish. Not a
bad varnish but needs to be wiped twice after each application rather
than the single time that I have been used to doing. There are probably
close to 250 floating tenons in the sides, face frames, and doors.

The customer has door pulls on order and I will return to attach them. I
hope to take much better pictures then.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

love your work, Leon. Where are you located?

Larry

Thank you Larry. I live in a suburb of Houston, Richmond, TX.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2012 12:05 AM, WW wrote:
"Leon"lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer.
Of course I forgot to take my good camera and the camera phone had to do.
White Oak solid wood and plywood. Clear Old Masters Gel varnish. Not a
bad varnish but needs to be wiped twice after each application rather than
the single time that I have been used to doing. There are probably close
to 250 floating tenons in the sides, face frames, and doors.

The customer has door pulls on order and I will return to attach them. I
hope to take much better pictures then.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Beautiful work. Did you use tempered glass? WW

Thank you!

No I did not use tempered glass, I do so however when the glass is
closer to the floor and or is likely to be hit. Top cabs being set back
from the bottom cabs lessens this possibility.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2012 12:59 AM, wrote:
On Apr 17, 5:40 pm, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer.
Of course I forgot to take my good camera and the camera phone had to
do.

Damnit, Leon.... don't make me come over there... =^0

But I want you co come over here Robert! LOL

You do all that beautiful work and you record your efforts with a
camera phone? Seriously, as we talked about as a passing comment at
Christmas, you should truly consider an album/portfolio of your work.

Yeah and I thought about you as I was clicking the shutter button on my
iPhone. :~) Seriously, I did,. Robert I have a very good camera with
wide angle and long telephoto lens which is pretty fast. But hey if you
don't use it what good is it? ;~) I am going back to add the pulls and
will take that camera then. Not being complete so to speak kept me from
taking the better camera. And unfortunately these recent jobs are so
large that it is hard to not include the shop clutter if I shoot before
I deliver. But I hear you, prior to getting a phone with a camera I
used a good camera to take pictures of all of my work. I do have a note
book portfolio but I am leaning towards pointing towards Flickr and
e-mailing a link.

Same with Karl. He does a nice job with his job photos, but he has a
lot of nice pieces in his house, too. Stuff to be proud of.

Yes, absolutely he does!

[...]

Thank you Robert!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2012 1:30 AM, Dave wrote:
[...]

I use Carbonite for my back ups, on a cloud.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2012 7:08 AM, RonB wrote:

We crashed (again) as a result of a lightning strike a couple of years
ago and took the hint. I purchased one of the small portable Seagate
hard drives that comes with automatic backup software. It spends most
of its life in our safety deposit box where it is retrieved about once
a month for update. Today, I would have likely just opted for one of
the now-cheap high capacity flash drives. I also use one of those
pretty regularly to backup files that are important.

Granted, this works well for us because our small town bank is four
blocks away and retrieving the drive is no big deal. But with the
drive at a remote location it is safe from fire, tornado, theft, etc.

While I still use media to backup files locally, a subscription to
Carbonite and, and free 50GB introductory offer to Box.com, backs up the
backups.

I've had to restore a few accidentally overwritten local files from
Carbonite in the last few months and it only took seconds.

And, I can access the files on both services from either my iPad, or
Android phone.

Would not do without the option in this day and age.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2012 5:33 AM, Leon wrote:

Damnit, Leon.... don't make me come over there...

As Robert has pointed out, a very decent digital camera
can be had for well under $100. With a any decent camera
sdram chip, you can have thousands of pictures.

I have failed to do the same thing, as many of us have and
I really regret it now.

I have mentioned backup of computers many times on this forum.

DO NOT lose the family history because of stupidity.

A 16gb flash drive can be had for well under $20 and will hold
thousands of pictures.

Put your pictures on cdrom and flash drives....and print them out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2012 3:40 PM, Leon wrote:
For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer.

How did you do those doors with arched rail ???

I assume a router template...

Very nice work...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2012 9:14 AM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 4/17/2012 3:40 PM, Leon wrote:
For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer.

How did you do those doors with arched rail ???

I assume a router template...

Very nice work...

Thank you Pat.

The glass door rails ans stiles are Domino reinforced lap joints. The
glass has square corners and I removed material straight across the back
of the rail 1/2" past the top of the arc. I used the same dado set that
I used to cut the rabbit, just moved the fence over 2~3 times.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2012 9:11 AM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 4/18/2012 5:33 AM, Leon wrote:

Damnit, Leon.... don't make me come over there...

As Robert has pointed out, a very decent digital camera
can be had for well under $100. With a any decent camera
sdram chip, you can have thousands of pictures.

I have failed to do the same thing, as many of us have and
I really regret it now.

I have mentioned backup of computers many times on this forum.

DO NOT lose the family history because of stupidity.

A 16gb flash drive can be had for well under $20 and will hold
thousands of pictures.

Put your pictures on cdrom and flash drives....and print them out.

All of my pictures back up are on a cloud, Carbonite.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2012 3:40 PM, Leon wrote:
For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer.

How did you do those doors with arched rail ???

I assume a router template...

Very nice work...

Thank you Pat.

The glass door rails ans stiles are Domino reinforced lap joints. The
glass has square corners and I removed material straight across the back
of the rail 1/2" past the top of the arc. I used the same dado set that
I used to cut the rabbit, just moved the fence over 2~3 times.

I posted a PDF file on ABPW of the drawing. Keep in mind that the
drawing does not show the two floating tenon/Dominos that reinforce that
joint.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I use Carbonite for my back ups, on a cloud.

Statement by Mr. David Friend, CEO of Carbonite:

"...Even though Mr. [Rush] Limbaugh has now issued an apology, we have
nonetheless decided to withdraw our advertising from his show. We hope that
our action, along with the other advertisers who have already withdrawn
their ads, will ultimately contribute to a more civilized public discourse."
http://www.carbonite.com/en/blog/A-M...ds-on-Limbaugh

"Carbonite, the Internet backup-security company, may be a good place to
securely store irreplaceable computer data, but it's not proving to be a
good place to invest irreplaceable dollars. The company, which went public
last August, has seen its stock dive 20 percent since Carbonite CEO David
Friend criticized Rush Limbaugh in the wake of the Sandra Fluke flap."

http://www.wnd.com/2012/03/carbonite...augh-trashing/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Leon wrote:

I use Carbonite for my back ups, on a cloud.

Statement by Mr. David Friend, CEO of Carbonite:

"...Even though Mr. [Rush] Limbaugh has now issued an apology, we have
nonetheless decided to withdraw our advertising from his show. We hope
that our action, along with the other advertisers who have already
withdrawn their ads, will ultimately contribute to a more civilized
public discourse."
http://www.carbonite.com/en/blog/A-M...-CEO-David-Fri
end-Regarding-Ads-on-Limbaugh

"Carbonite, the Internet backup-security company, may be a good place
to securely store irreplaceable computer data, but it's not proving to
be a good place to invest irreplaceable dollars. The company, which
went public last August, has seen its stock dive 20 percent since
Carbonite CEO David Friend criticized Rush Limbaugh in the wake of the
Sandra Fluke flap."

http://www.wnd.com/2012/03/carbonite...augh-trashing/

Some time ago, I decided to can Carbonite because I didn't think it was a
good system. Too slow and cumbersome to do big backups over the
internet, even at my than 25/15 Mbps (My FiOS is now 35/35). This was
long before the Limbaugh inexcusable outbursts.

Perhaps my (in some places vocal) withdrawal from Carbonite has caused
the sharp drop in stock prices, but, really, it could very well have been
that the stock price was driven up by speculation, and by now the bubble
had to burst.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 4/18/2012 7:08 AM, RonB wrote:

[...]

I have my NAS backups for that. I am sure that if I needed remote
access, I would have figured out how, but I don't.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

On 4/18/2012 5:33 AM, Leon wrote:

Damnit, Leon.... don't make me come over there...

As Robert has pointed out, a very decent digital camera
can be had for well under $100. With a any decent camera
sdram chip, you can have thousands of pictures.

I have failed to do the same thing, as many of us have and
I really regret it now.

I have mentioned backup of computers many times on this forum.

DO NOT lose the family history because of stupidity.

A 16gb flash drive can be had for well under $20 and will hold
thousands of pictures.

Put your pictures on cdrom and flash drives....and print them out.

All of my pictures back up are on a cloud, Carbonite.

Most of mine are on SHutterfly, which has an option to get archive DVDs
with original resolution pictures.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2012 11:18 AM, Han wrote:

Some time ago, I decided to can Carbonite because I didn't think it was a
good system. Too slow and cumbersome to do big backups over the
internet, even at my than 25/15 Mbps (My FiOS is now 35/35).

IME, folks simply don't appreciate the difference between "offsite file
backup/storage", and using a cloud service like Carbonite to backup a
computer with the view toward "Restoring" it in case of a catastrophic
failure.

Two different uses, two totally different concepts ... I had no concern
with, and no unrealistic expectations of, how long it takes for an
initial upload to Carbonite, because it was configured to be done over a
two week period as a background task with low priority. All subsequent
file changes and additions are incremental background tasks done without
noticeably impacting my use.

ITMT, that computer was also backed up to a local device with the view
to a "Restore" in the event of the catastrophic failure of a component.

I would never consider relying upon "Restoring" a computer via Carbonite
alone, except as a last resort, absolute emergency measure, because that
is not what that particular storage methodology is good at.

For $4/months, "offsite" storage, via Carbonite, is cheap for my benefit
at ten times the price.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2012 11:19 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in
:

On 4/18/2012 7:08 AM, RonB wrote:

[...]

"Offsite", Han. "Offsite" ... a backup does you NO good if your house
burns down or blown away.

It's why Iron Mountain, and other commercial data storage companies. are
so vital to a businesses survival in the event of catastrophe.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 4/18/2012 11:19 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in
:

On 4/18/2012 7:08 AM, RonB wrote:

[...]

Yes I should take up my bank on its offer of a free safe deposit box ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 4/18/2012 11:18 AM, Han wrote:

[...]

Many times the choice depends on basic ingenuity.

For example, if you can compress your precious data, you can send it to your
Gmail (or Yahoo or Hotmail) account as an attachement. Google, for example,
allows up to (I think) 8 gigs of email storage. You can sign up for 31 Gmail
accounts, one for each day of the month, and store 240 gigabytes of stuff.
Then, too, with 365 Gmail accounts... pretty soon we're talking terabytes!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in
:

*snip*

For $4/months, "offsite" storage, via Carbonite, is cheap for my
benefit at ten times the price.

I bought a NAS (Network attached storage) box to store backups and
multimedia files on. With 7.5 TB of storage (but reduced to around 4 TB
due to running the drives in RAID6 configuration), it cost around $1000.
That $4/month will pay for 250 months, or about 20 years of storage and by
that time you'll need more space than 4 TB. Hopefully Carbonite will up
the amount of space you can use without raising the price excessively.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Swingman wrote in
:

*snip*

For $4/months, "offsite" storage, via Carbonite, is cheap for my
benefit at ten times the price.

I bought a NAS (Network attached storage) box to store backups and
multimedia files on. With 7.5 TB of storage (but reduced to around 4
TB due to running the drives in RAID6 configuration), it cost around
$1000. That $4/month will pay for 250 months, or about 20 years of
storage and by that time you'll need more space than 4 TB. Hopefully
Carbonite will up the amount of space you can use without raising the
price excessively.

Tera bytes? Is anyone involved in this thread even thinking about
realistic needs? Come on - terabytes?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2012 9:55 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in
:

*snip*

For $4/months, "offsite" storage, via Carbonite, is cheap for my
benefit at ten times the price.

I bought a NAS (Network attached storage) box to store backups and
multimedia files on. With 7.5 TB of storage (but reduced to around 4
TB due to running the drives in RAID6 configuration), it cost around
$1000. That $4/month will pay for 250 months, or about 20 years of
storage and by that time you'll need more space than 4 TB. Hopefully
Carbonite will up the amount of space you can use without raising the
price excessively.

Tera bytes? Is anyone involved in this thread even thinking about
realistic needs? Come on - terabytes?

I have about 3T of external drives.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:3110e$4f8f8233
:

Puckdropper wrote:
I bought a NAS (Network attached storage) box to store backups and
multimedia files on. With 7.5 TB of storage (but reduced to around 4
TB due to running the drives in RAID6 configuration), it cost around
$1000. That $4/month will pay for 250 months, or about 20 years of
storage and by that time you'll need more space than 4 TB. Hopefully
Carbonite will up the amount of space you can use without raising the
price excessively.

Tera bytes? Is anyone involved in this thread even thinking about
realistic needs? Come on - terabytes?

1 TB is 4 250 GB hard drives. If you have multiple computers, it would
not be difficult to fill that space up.

I'm not thinking about a single backup here, but rather multiple backups
to a single machine. Plus, old back ups sometimes have to be manually
deleted (which can be a good thing), and each one takes up several GB of
space itself.

The bare minimum data backup may only take a few gig, but with space as
cheap as it is (1TB for less than $100) why do just the minimum?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 22:55:06 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Tera bytes? Is anyone involved in this thread even thinking about
realistic needs? Come on - terabytes?

I have a 2 terabyte drive in my computer and 4x2 terabytes drives for
storage and backup in an external USB unit. And, I'll probably upgrade
the external unit to USB 3 at some point in the not too distant
future.

Sorry Mike, but you appear to be out of phase, compared to many. You
can buy a 2 terabyte drive these days for less than $100.00. That's
just too cheap *not* to backup all your information.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 22:55:06 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Tera bytes? Is anyone involved in this thread even thinking about
realistic needs? Come on - terabytes?

I have a 2 terabyte drive in my computer and 4x2 terabytes drives for
storage and backup in an external USB unit. And, I'll probably upgrade
the external unit to USB 3 at some point in the not too distant
future.

Sorry Mike, but you appear to be out of phase, compared to many. You
can buy a 2 terabyte drive these days for less than $100.00. That's
just too cheap *not* to backup all your information.

Well - I'm not often accused of being bleeding edge, that's for sure...
It's not the cost of storage that I was reacting to, since it is cheap these
days. It was more just the volume of it. That's a lot of data capacity.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/19/2012 6:21 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Dave wrote:
On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 22:55:06 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Tera bytes? Is anyone involved in this thread even thinking about
realistic needs? Come on - terabytes?

I have a 2 terabyte drive in my computer and 4x2 terabytes drives for
storage and backup in an external USB unit. And, I'll probably upgrade
the external unit to USB 3 at some point in the not too distant
future.

Sorry Mike, but you appear to be out of phase, compared to many. You
can buy a 2 terabyte drive these days for less than $100.00. That's
just too cheap *not* to backup all your information.

Well - I'm not often accused of being bleeding edge, that's for sure...
It's not the cost of storage that I was reacting to, since it is cheap these
days. It was more just the volume of it. That's a lot of data capacity.

Multi terabyte drives run much quieter and you see no dust anywhere!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
[...]

That's it - I'm going out to buy one, or five... today!

I remember (famous words of dinosaurs...) when I used to sell a Terabyte of
EMC storage for a cool $1M, and it took up some floorspace. That wasn't
even all that long ago - or so it seems.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
[...]

Now U C ;~)

Still waiting for you mailing address! LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2012 7:55 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Tera bytes? Is anyone involved in this thread even thinking about
realistic needs? Come on - terabytes?

I was thinking as I read that...what the hell are people storing ?

I was also thinking that if I had a terabyte drive filled up, that I
reached the point of having a wee too much data/pictures/movies/music.

My newly minted son-in-law was telling us that he now had 80,000+ songs
stored on various devices..... I wondered how the hell does he find
anything ?

He apparently loaded that up to the web in just a short
period of a week or so....

And....what are you multi-terabyte folks using to backup all those
terabytes with ?

I support a couple of multi-national companies that don't have anything
approaching a terabyte.

It appears that we have veered off our old woodworking thing again.