Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bending wood

Me and my big mouth: I happened to mention to my wife that a table would look good at a corner in the hallway and she suggested that one with a curved front would be just the ticket.

I've always intended to build a steambox and Woodcraft carries the steam generator.

Question: what wood species best lend themselves to steam-bending?

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/13 1:06 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Me and my big mouth: I happened to mention to my wife that a table
would look good at a corner in the hallway and she suggested that one
with a curved front would be just the ticket.

I've always intended to build a steambox and Woodcraft carries the
steam generator.

Question: what wood species best lend themselves to steam-bending?

Larry

For whatever reason, most North American hardwoods bend very well.
Pick what you like and it will probably work great.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote in message
Me and my big mouth: I happened to mention to my wife that a table would
look good at a corner in the hallway and she suggested that one with a
curved front would be just the ticket.

I've always intended to build a steambox and Woodcraft carries the steam
generator.

Question: what wood species best lend themselves to steam-bending?

Ash. Which was why it was used in the Wright Bros. flying machine for the
landing skids.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:06:21 AM UTC-7, Gramps' shop wrote:
Me and my big mouth: I happened to mention to my wife that a table would look good at a corner in the hallway and she suggested that one with a curved front would be just the ticket.

I've always intended to build a steambox and Woodcraft carries the steam generator.

Question: what wood species best lend themselves to steam-bending?

Larry

Most domestic woods bend fine. The real trick is to try and get wood that was air dried. The kiln drying process is harsh on the wood and sort of hardens it. You may be better off doing lamination work. Then you can just add a top lam that is any species you want. Lamming is fun. lots of re-sawing and fixture building, etc.

Bending is much more art than process. It can be a real hit and miss affair..

I'll look and see if I can find the videos of this one guy who weaves steamed wood. He shows that taking a steamed piece of wood and bending it on one axis, then the other and it turns into like a piece of rope for a few seconds and you can weave with it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:50:18 PM UTC-7, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

OK, here is one video that shows the same concept, bending two directions. I remember know the guy I saw was twisting the wood as the third step, not weaving.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:00:02 PM UTC-7, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

oops. Link http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-t...technique.aspx
Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Gramps' shop belched:
Me and my big mouth: I happened to mention to my wife that a table
would look good at a corner in the hallway and she suggested that one
with a curved front would be just the ticket.

I've always intended to build a steambox and Woodcraft carries the
steam generator.

Question: what wood species best lend themselves to steam-bending?

Larry

Easiest?
Get some bendable plywood, take two pieces and laminate together in the
curve you want and just add the veneer of your choice

Bending wood. clare at snyder.on.ca Woodworking 5 February 3rd 08 04:09 AM
Wood Bending... Astriapo Woodworking 6 November 2nd 05 12:01 AM
Bending/twisting wood (was Bending Oak) Dan Major Woodworking 3 October 3rd 05 06:50 PM
Bending wood Cliff Hartle Woodworking 5 July 23rd 05 07:49 PM
Bending Wood Tom B Woodworking 1 December 6th 04 11:14 AM