Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bending wood

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:00:02 PM UTC-7, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
On Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:50:18 PM UTC-7, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:06:21 AM UTC-7, Gramps' shop wrote:

Me and my big mouth: I happened to mention to my wife that a table would look good at a corner in the hallway and she suggested that one with a curved front would be just the ticket.

I've always intended to build a steambox and Woodcraft carries the steam generator.

Question: what wood species best lend themselves to steam-bending?

Larry

Most domestic woods bend fine. The real trick is to try and get wood that was air dried. The kiln drying process is harsh on the wood and sort of hardens it. You may be better off doing lamination work. Then you can just add a top lam that is any species you want. Lamming is fun. lots of re-sawing and fixture building, etc.

Bending is much more art than process. It can be a real hit and miss affair.

I'll look and see if I can find the videos of this one guy who weaves steamed wood. He shows that taking a steamed piece of wood and bending it on one axis, then the other and it turns into like a piece of rope for a few seconds and you can weave with it.

OK, here is one video that shows the same concept, bending two directions.. I remember know the guy I saw was twisting the wood as the third step, not weaving.

oops. Link http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-t...technique.aspx