Cliff Hartle

Default Bending wood

I need to make two 32 " diameter kitchen lazy susan shelves.

I am going to make them out of 3/4" MDF with a band of 1/2" oak wrapped
around them.

I need a simple way to steam the oak so I can bend it around the MDF.

I have read all about making various steam boxes out of PVC pipe, 5 gallon
gas cans and propane stoves. Iam not going to bebendin allot of wood in my
lifetime so I'm looking for the simplest way to do this. I'd like to not
use lamination.

PS id like to just buy them in plastic, but I can't seem to find. The place
I would have expected to find them www.wwharehouse.com dosn't have them in
this size.

Thanks, Cliff

Upscale

From: "Cliff Hartle"
Subject: Bending wood
Date: July 22, 2005 09:51

I need to make two 32 " diameter kitchen lazy susan shelves.
I am going to make them out of 3/4" MDF with a band of 1/2" oak wrapped
around them.
I need a simple way to steam the oak so I can bend it around the MDF.

Why bother? Go pick youself up some 3/4" veneer stripping and then trim to
size it comes in rolls of varying lengths up to 64'. There's the glue on
yourself type and the already glued type that you iron on melting the glue
so it bonds to whatever you're applying it to. Both work find as far as I'm
concerned.

David

Cliff Hartle wrote:
I need to make two 32 " diameter kitchen lazy susan shelves.

I am going to make them out of 3/4" MDF with a band of 1/2" oak wrapped
around them.

I need a simple way to steam the oak so I can bend it around the MDF.

I have read all about making various steam boxes out of PVC pipe, 5 gallon
gas cans and propane stoves. Iam not going to bebendin allot of wood in my
lifetime so I'm looking for the simplest way to do this. I'd like to not
use lamination.

PS id like to just buy them in plastic, but I can't seem to find. The place
I would have expected to find them www.wwharehouse.com dosn't have them in
this size.

Thanks, Cliff

how about white vinyl t-molding?

Dave

John

I built a bunch of lazy susans for use on the kitchen shelves, use
1/16in thick x 2in aluminum "bar" stock bent around the edge of the
lazy susan to give me a rim to prevent things from sliding off.
Attached with contact cement and #4 screws

John

David wrote:
Cliff Hartle wrote:
I need to make two 32 " diameter kitchen lazy susan shelves.

I am going to make them out of 3/4" MDF with a band of 1/2" oak wrapped
around them.

I need a simple way to steam the oak so I can bend it around the MDF.

I have read all about making various steam boxes out of PVC pipe, 5 gallon
gas cans and propane stoves. Iam not going to bebendin allot of wood in my
lifetime so I'm looking for the simplest way to do this. I'd like to not
use lamination.

PS id like to just buy them in plastic, but I can't seem to find. The place
I would have expected to find them www.wwharehouse.com dosn't have them in
this size.

Thanks, Cliff

how about white vinyl t-molding?

Dave

cliff

I thought of that and may still do it, but to me that just screams 50's
kitchen.

You know that ones that had the formica countertop with the aluminum
edging around it.

David wrote:
Cliff Hartle wrote:
I need to make two 32 " diameter kitchen lazy susan shelves.

I am going to make them out of 3/4" MDF with a band of 1/2" oak wrapped
around them.

I need a simple way to steam the oak so I can bend it around the MDF.

I have read all about making various steam boxes out of PVC pipe, 5 gallon
gas cans and propane stoves. Iam not going to bebendin allot of wood in my
lifetime so I'm looking for the simplest way to do this. I'd like to not
use lamination.

PS id like to just buy them in plastic, but I can't seem to find. The place
I would have expected to find them www.wwharehouse.com dosn't have them in
this size.

Thanks, Cliff

how about white vinyl t-molding?

Dave

### micro-FAQ on wood # 042 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 July 4th 05 07:30 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 040 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 June 8th 05 07:02 AM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 037 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 April 29th 05 07:50 AM
FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 02:06 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 015 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 July 22nd 04 06:51 PM