Astriapo

Default Wood Bending...

Hi all,

Can someone give me some pointers for bending wood?

I need to bend a 1x8 Maple around a 24.5 radius wall. I also would like
to know how to bend a piece of wood to do casing around an arched area?
These pieces are going to be stained.

Thanks so much.

Astria Po
Rick Frazier

Astria:

For something as thick as 1", I know of only two approaches that result in a
decent looking face:

1) Cut grooves (across the curve, IE: perpendicular to the curve radius) in
the back of the board, wet/steam the board and bend it over a form, then
allow to dry.

2) make several laminations (resawing and planing to get 1/8 to 3/16" stock)
then steam and glue up bent over a form. This will require making oversize
laminations so you can trim down to 8" width and whatever length you need,
but is much stronger and easier to do than 1) above...

I can't think of a decent way to bend a solid 1" maple board even with the
49" diameter you're dealing with...

Good Luck
--Rick

Astriapo wrote:

Hi all,

Can someone give me some pointers for bending wood?

I need to bend a 1x8 Maple around a 24.5 radius wall. I also would like
to know how to bend a piece of wood to do casing around an arched area?
These pieces are going to be stained.

Thanks so much.

Astria Po

Teamcasa

"Astriapo"
Can someone give me some pointers for bending wood?

I need to bend a 1x8 Maple around a 24.5 radius wall. I also would like
to know how to bend a piece of wood to do casing around an arched area?
These pieces are going to be stained.
Astria Po

24.5 Inches, Feet, Millimeters, Centimeters or Meters?

Arch size? Is the moulding on the inside or face or both?

Dave

I read an article about 25 yrs ago about bending wood frozen in
amonia. In the article, the guy bend the wood like a pretzel by hand.
I tried it out on a small piece of oak about 3/8x2x12" just like in
the article. I used household amonia and a Tupperware plastic pan
with air tight seal (this will show you wife that tupperware has may
uses). As it was Spring, I put the container with amonia and the oak
soaking in it, all in the freezer. (this will really impress you
wife) Two days later I pulled it out, opened the container inside the
house, gagged for a while (impessed my wife some more), took it
outside, wrapped my face with a wet rag, and with welding gloves on, I
bent the oak strip in two. Some of the color in the oak was gone,
the liquid looked like oak water, meaning I left in the solution too
long. The water content in the household amonia was probably too
high as well, although it didn't freeze.

I always thought that if I needed to do this to a longer heavier piece
of lumber, I would build a temp vat with a lid and a heavy polyethene
liner outside in a field. I would use it in the middle of a prairie
winter at -30 below and use industrial strength amonia. My form and
clamps would be ready, I would be dressed to be there for 1/2 - 3/4 hr
wearing heavy gloves and a respirator (Scott Airpac comes to mind) .

Anyone wanting to try this method should first buy some household
amonia and take fast sniff. Then decide whether you will go ahead or
get the stronger stuff. Get sloppy with amonia and it will kill you.

Pete
Astriapo

Teamcasa wrote:
"Astriapo"

Can someone give me some pointers for bending wood?

I need to bend a 1x8 Maple around a 24.5 radius wall. I also would like
to know how to bend a piece of wood to do casing around an arched area?
These pieces are going to be stained.
Astria Po

24.5 Inches, Feet, Millimeters, Centimeters or Meters?

Arch size? Is the moulding on the inside or face or both?

Dave

Sorry 'bout that. It is going on the outside (face) of the circle, and
it is in inches.
Teamcasa

"Astriapo"
Can someone give me some pointers for bending wood?
I need to bend a 1x8 Maple around a 24.5 radius wall. I also would like
to know how to bend a piece of wood to do casing around an arched area?
These pieces are going to be stained.
Astria Po

24.5 Inches, Feet, Millimeters, Centimeters or Meters?

Arch size? Is the moulding on the inside or face or both?

Dave

Sorry 'bout that. It is going on the outside (face) of the circle, and it
is in inches.

Wood will not successfully bend into an arch. You will need to 1. cut it
from several blanks and join them together then cut the arch out.

http://www.diynet.com/diy/ww_decorat...276252,00.html

Heres a link.

### micro-FAQ on wood # 042 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 July 4th 05 07:30 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 040 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 June 8th 05 07:02 AM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 037 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 April 29th 05 07:50 AM
FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 02:06 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 015 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 July 22nd 04 06:51 PM