Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Temperature

Strange weather we are having in the Houston area.

Visited with Swingman and his wife on Saturday and his shaded street just
before 6pm showed 108 on the car thermometer. I cannot remember ever
seeing it that hot in Houston.

It is normal for the wake up radio to indicate 80 degrees at sun up in the
Houston area during the summer.

For the Houston area May was still very cool, June was unusually hot, more
like August.

This morning we continue to get the north wind that we had yesterday and
which is predicted for the next several days.

In my neighborhood near Cinco Ranch, about 22 miles due west of Swingman we
have now probably set a record low of 66 degrees for the first day of July.
We are lucky to see lows in the 60's in September. For the rest of the
week our forecast lows are about 15 degrees below normal.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2013 7:44 AM, Leon wrote:

Strange weather we are having in the Houston area.

Glue "open time" in the shop has been halved the past few days ... down
to way less than five minutes with Titebond II.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Strange weather we are having in the Houston area.

Visited with Swingman and his wife on Saturday and his shaded street
just before 6pm showed 108 on the car thermometer. I cannot remember
ever seeing it that hot in Houston.

Ugh! We can hit temps that barely break into the 100's up here, on a
reasonably regular (annual) basis - though those temps do not last for long.
108 at 6 PM is unreal. My advice - take the wife and head for the nearest
creek and just sit in it. Hopefully at least chest deep when sitting.
Don't think about woodworking, projects, bills, or anything else. Just do
the moment. Allright - nobody does creeks anymore... put up a cheap 4' pool
in the back yard and do the same thing. Shame that nobody does creeks
anymore...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2013 5:44 AM, Leon wrote:
Strange weather we are having in the Houston area.

Visited with Swingman and his wife on Saturday and his shaded street just
before 6pm showed 108 on the car thermometer. I cannot remember ever
seeing it that hot in Houston.

It is normal for the wake up radio to indicate 80 degrees at sun up in the
Houston area during the summer.

For the Houston area May was still very cool, June was unusually hot, more
like August.

This morning we continue to get the north wind that we had yesterday and
which is predicted for the next several days.

In my neighborhood near Cinco Ranch, about 22 miles due west of Swingman we
have now probably set a record low of 66 degrees for the first day of July.
We are lucky to see lows in the 60's in September. For the rest of the
week our forecast lows are about 15 degrees below normal.

At least it's a wet heat...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 7/1/2013 7:44 AM, Leon wrote:

Strange weather we are having in the Houston area.

Us Northwesterners are wimps compared to you guys. Last summer we had so
little sun, that blackberries were almost nonexistent. This year will be a
bumper crop. 91 yesterday, 93 today, well beyond us wimps comfort zone. At
least it cools off at night with a little breeze. Quite pleasant to walk in
after the sun goes down.

Glue "open time" in the shop has been halved the past few days ... down to
way less than five minutes with Titebond II.

5 minute glue up time??

This means you are either going to build smaller, simpler projects or move
twice as fast!! LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/1/2013 7:44 AM, Leon wrote:
Strange weather we are having in the Houston area.

Visited with Swingman and his wife on Saturday and his shaded street just
before 6pm showed 108 on the car thermometer. I cannot remember ever
seeing it that hot in Houston.

It is normal for the wake up radio to indicate 80 degrees at sun up in the
Houston area during the summer.

For the Houston area May was still very cool, June was unusually hot, more
like August.

This morning we continue to get the north wind that we had yesterday and
which is predicted for the next several days.

In my neighborhood near Cinco Ranch, about 22 miles due west of Swingman we
have now probably set a record low of 66 degrees for the first day of July.
We are lucky to see lows in the 60's in September. For the rest of the
week our forecast lows are about 15 degrees below normal.

We were 109 on Thursday but yesterday's high was only 79 or
thereabouts...normal this time of year is low-mid 90s so it's balmy, for
sure!

Saying this will hold roughly thru most of the week--unfortunately, it
also means zero chance for any precip and that we're desperately in need
of--only 3" or a shade over so far this year, total, added to last two
years of drought as well. 1" about three weeks ago, only 0.15" in April
and May each...and now it's nearing the dry season of late
July/August/September.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2013 12:04 PM, jo4hn wrote:
On 7/1/2013 5:44 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I believe that means you are being parboiled instead of baked.

I am about twenty miles east of Raleigh, North Carolina

Temperature this summer has not been a problem as it was in June before
we had our first 90 degree day, usually this occurs in May or April.

However with the low temperature come another problem. So far this year
we have had about 26" of rain. 0ver 10" in June, over 2" last night.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 07:44:27 -0500, Leon wrote:

Visited with Swingman and his wife on Saturday and his shaded street
just before 6pm showed 108 on the car thermometer. I cannot remember
ever seeing it that hot in Houston.

We're a long ways north of you in eastern WA and it's supposed to get to
102 today and 104 tomorrow. We had to turn on the A/C at 9AM - yesterday
we didn't need it till 6PM.

But Seattle is only supposed to get to 85 or so and they are under an
excessive heat warning - bunch of wimps!

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

Allright - nobody does creeks anymore... put up a cheap 4' pool in the back yard and do the same
thing. Shame that nobody does creeks anymore...

3 people died in the rivers here here in the Portland OR metro area yesterday
doing just that. It was 97 and will be for the next few days. It still beats the
hell out of Phx & Tucson where I used to live.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2013 11:25 AM, Artemus wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

Allright - nobody does creeks anymore... put up a cheap 4' pool in the back yard and do the same
thing. Shame that nobody does creeks anymore...

3 people died in the rivers here here in the Portland OR metro area yesterday
doing just that. It was 97 and will be for the next few days. It still beats the
hell out of Phx & Tucson where I used to live.
Art

it was only 120 here in phx over the weekend, far below the highest ever
temp of 122 and almost balmy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2013 2:25 PM, Artemus wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

Allright - nobody does creeks anymore... put up a cheap 4' pool in the back yard and do the same
thing. Shame that nobody does creeks anymore...

3 people died in the rivers here here in the Portland OR metro area yesterday
doing just that. It was 97 and will be for the next few days. It still beats the
hell out of Phx & Tucson where I used to live.
Art

Why'd they die?
Was the river running hard?

I used to love jumping in the creek after mountain biking. I had to get
a watch that wouldn't blow the seals.. finally got a real divers
watch... my body heat then the cold water would make those crappy retail
100m watches gulp water...

I'm with you on creeks, but now have a pool, and don't ride much anymore.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message ...
On 7/1/2013 2:25 PM, Artemus wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

Allright - nobody does creeks anymore... put up a cheap 4' pool in the back yard and do the
same
thing. Shame that nobody does creeks anymore...

3 people died in the rivers here here in the Portland OR metro area yesterday
doing just that. It was 97 and will be for the next few days. It still beats the
hell out of Phx & Tucson where I used to live.
Art

Why'd they die?
Was the river running hard?

Currents and water temps in the 40's according to the tv news.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2013 11:04 AM, jo4hn wrote:
On 7/1/2013 5:44 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

LOL. Wish it were always a dry heat, at least your sweat would
evaporate. Actually we had a very dry west wind on Saturday. Today was
like Fall.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2013 12:20 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 07:44:27 -0500, Leon wrote:

Visited with Swingman and his wife on Saturday and his shaded street
just before 6pm showed 108 on the car thermometer. I cannot remember
ever seeing it that hot in Houston.

We're a long ways north of you in eastern WA and it's supposed to get to
102 today and 104 tomorrow. We had to turn on the A/C at 9AM - yesterday
we didn't need it till 6PM.

But Seattle is only supposed to get to 85 or so and they are under an
excessive heat warning - bunch of wimps!

Typically we don't get terribly hot as most of the time we get a south
wind off of the gulf. Not unusual to only see low 100's briefly a time
or two during August.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2013 7:44 AM, Leon wrote:
Strange weather we are having in the Houston area.

Visited with Swingman and his wife on Saturday and his shaded street just
before 6pm showed 108 on the car thermometer. I cannot remember ever
seeing it that hot in Houston.

It is normal for the wake up radio to indicate 80 degrees at sun up in the
Houston area during the summer.

For the Houston area May was still very cool, June was unusually hot, more
like August.

This morning we continue to get the north wind that we had yesterday and
which is predicted for the next several days.

In my neighborhood near Cinco Ranch, about 22 miles due west of Swingman we
have now probably set a record low of 66 degrees for the first day of July.
We are lucky to see lows in the 60's in September. For the rest of the
week our forecast lows are about 15 degrees below normal.

Hi yesterday, 89

Lo this morning 64, feels like fall. Very low humidity and the 3rd
straight day with a north wind.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2013 7:44 AM, Leon wrote:
Strange weather we are having in the Houston area.

Visited with Swingman and his wife on Saturday and his shaded street just
before 6pm showed 108 on the car thermometer. I cannot remember ever
seeing it that hot in Houston.

It is normal for the wake up radio to indicate 80 degrees at sun up in the
Houston area during the summer.

For the Houston area May was still very cool, June was unusually hot, more
like August.

This morning we continue to get the north wind that we had yesterday and
which is predicted for the next several days.

In my neighborhood near Cinco Ranch, about 22 miles due west of Swingman we
have now probably set a record low of 66 degrees for the first day of July.
We are lucky to see lows in the 60's in September. For the rest of the
week our forecast lows are about 15 degrees below normal.

OK, confirmed! This mornings low is 4 degrees lower than the record low
set in 1985.

And yes, Saturdays heat wave did set a record high.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 16:25:35 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

On 7/1/2013 2:25 PM, Artemus wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

Allright - nobody does creeks anymore... put up a cheap 4' pool in the back yard and do the same
thing. Shame that nobody does creeks anymore...

3 people died in the rivers here here in the Portland OR metro area yesterday
doing just that. It was 97 and will be for the next few days. It still beats the
hell out of Phx & Tucson where I used to live.
Art

Why'd they die?
Was the river running hard?

I used to love jumping in the creek after mountain biking. I had to get
a watch that wouldn't blow the seals.. finally got a real divers
watch... my body heat then the cold water would make those crappy retail
100m watches gulp water...

I'm with you on creeks, but now have a pool, and don't ride much anymore.

Here in Washington the nanny state they aren't taught to think for
themselves anymore. If the state didn't warn them they aren't
responsible for being to stupid to live.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have lived in Indianapolis and in Raleigh, It seemed like every day
there was some kind of warning. Heat, flood, storm, etc.

In fact they were so frequent, you stopped paying attention to them. "Oh
there is a warning today. Another day another warning."
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/2/2013 9:19 AM, Leon wrote:

OK, confirmed! This mornings low is 4 degrees lower than the record low
set in 1985.

State Lows:
Colby 46°F
Goodland 48°F
Great Bend 51°F
Hill City 51°F
Hays 51°F

We didn't quite make the list; was 52F here this morning...

As you, we're under that central low that's keeping the really hot stuff
on the west coast at the moment, just a few hundred miles north. The
109F on Thursday wasn't close to a record high, though...those are on
the weather station here at the house; there isn't an official NWS
station here. The airport recorded 107+ and their recorded record for
the day is 109F. I'm not sure how far the online history goes back,
though, probably not terribly far....yeah, looks like only back to 1939
so that doesn't have the great heat wave of the 1860s in it when
Manhattan (KS) recorded over 120F. Weren't any recording stations out
here then; town wasn't founded until 1888 when Rock Island ended here
waiting for them to open up OK to finish line across the panhandle to
meet up on other side to El Paso...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 11:08:30 -0400, Keith Nuttle
In fact they were so frequent, you stopped paying attention to them. "Oh
there is a warning today. Another day another warning."

You know it's getting really bad when you get a warning that there's
going to be a warning.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 07:31:54 -0700, Mike M wrote:

I'm with you on creeks, but now have a pool, and don't ride much
anymore.

Here in Washington the nanny state they aren't taught to think for
themselves anymore. If the state didn't warn them they aren't
responsible for being to stupid to live.

But there are no "creeks" in WA - at least none I've heard of. Of
course, being an old Kentuckian, quite a few of the "rivers" in WA should
be reclassified as "creeks".

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/2/2013 9:19 AM, Leon wrote:

OK, confirmed! This mornings low is 4 degrees lower than the record low
set in 1985.

Intended to comment--it's getting the dewpoint down that's the key; lows
basically will be a few degrees higher than the dewpoint--it's that
dewpoints stay so high along the coast and other areas in the east/south
that prevents the cooling of at night...we think if dewpoints get to the
50s it's oppressively humid....

And yes, Saturdays heat wave did set a record high.

Also, it's not terribly surprising for Goodland; it's in NW and fairly
high (pushing 4000 if not; don't recall exact elevation otomh--well, did
go look; isn't quite as high as was thinking--about 3700', roughly 900'
higher than we are). Hill City is about 80-90 mi east of Goodland but
despite being in the northern part of state (N of I-70), they're often
as hot or hotter than we are in the SW corner...Thursday when we were
the 108 or so they were 109F. Despite the name, they're actually ~700'
lower than we are. Their records are all in 110-115F range for this
time in July whereas ours tend to be more in the 104-110F range...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2013 9:04 AM, jo4hn wrote:
On 7/1/2013 5:44 AM, Leon wrote:
Strange weather we are having in the Houston area.

At least it's a wet heat...

The worst I ever experienced was living in southeastern South Dakota. I
was about 12 or 13 and got some work cleaning up somebody's garden area.
The temperature was 105 dF with 95% humidity. Damn near died of heat
prostitution. Here is Carlsbad, it's 72 dF/45% and overcast with a nice
breeze. Ayup. In my old age I have succumbed to wimpiness.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2013 5:26 PM, jo4hn wrote:
On 7/1/2013 9:04 AM, jo4hn wrote:
On 7/1/2013 5:44 AM, Leon wrote:
Strange weather we are having in the Houston area.

At least it's a wet heat...

The worst I ever experienced was living in southeastern South Dakota. I
was about 12 or 13 and got some work cleaning up somebody's garden area.
The temperature was 105 dF with 95% humidity. Damn near died of heat
prostitution. Here is Carlsbad, it's 72 dF/45% and overcast with a nice
breeze. Ayup. In my old age I have succumbed to wimpiness.
mahalo,
jo4hn

That is a hot hooker. :-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1555222 20130702 151906 Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 7/1/2013 7:44 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Doesn't a heat-wave have to be at least four consecutive days of high temperatures?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

OK, confirmed! This mornings low is 4 degrees lower than the record low
set in 1985.

And yes, Saturdays heat wave did set a record high.

Doesn't a heat-wave have to be at least four consecutive days of high temperatures?

Three days

I should clarify. Three days of 90+
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

OK, confirmed! This mornings low is 4 degrees lower than the record low
set in 1985.

And yes, Saturdays heat wave did set a record high.

Doesn't a heat-wave have to be at least four consecutive days of high temperatures?

Three days

I should clarify. Three days of 90+

We call that a slight warming trend during winter. :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2013 7:44 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

That could be true, the whole previous 10-12 days had been hot with
Saturday being the hottest and highest. Sunday and since has been
pleasant. At my location as soon as the sun goes down it is very pleasant
even in the hot days of summer, that was not true last week.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

OK, confirmed! This mornings low is 4 degrees lower than the record low
set in 1985.

And yes, Saturdays heat wave did set a record high.

Doesn't a heat-wave have to be at least four consecutive days of high temperatures?

Three days

I should clarify. Three days of 90+

That depends on where you are.
Three days of 100- is a cold snap in Phx this time of year.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 16:17:20 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 07:31:54 -0700, Mike M wrote:

I'm with you on creeks, but now have a pool, and don't ride much
anymore.

Here in Washington the nanny state they aren't taught to think for
themselves anymore. If the state didn't warn them they aren't
responsible for being to stupid to live.

But there are no "creeks" in WA - at least none I've heard of. Of
course, being an old Kentuckian, quite a few of the "rivers" in WA should
be reclassified as "creeks".

Here in the Snoqualmie Valley there are lots of Creeks that feed the
Snoqualmie River. On the East side it might be a lot more subjective
depending on the time of year.

hot tub temperature Jud McCranie Home Repair 59 February 1st 14 02:09 PM
Temperature LSMFT[_2_] Home Repair 14 May 19th 11 07:44 PM
GE XL44 Gas Range Temperature Drift...Inconsistent Temperature Scooter Home Repair 0 November 20th 06 12:53 AM
ice dams - attic temperature & outside temperature - how close is close enough Bobo Home Ownership 1 February 4th 06 09:10 PM
Temperature Michael Electronics 1 August 8th 05 11:20 AM