Posted to rec.woodworking

Default LADDER

I have half a dozen I suppose - maybe more.

My best is my 14 and 7 foot pro grade fiberglass and my low grade is my
all Al extension that I use doubled up to use as a stairs to my storage
area in the shop.
I used 14 for inside work in the last house. Now it is used on the
house - to get on the outside and that is one stable A frame.

Martin

On 6/17/2013 12:43 AM, Roy wrote:
On Sun, 8 May 2005 17:01:07 -0400, (J T) wrote:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/williams45.html

I've got two perfectly good ladders. A nice, extendable, aluminum
ladder, and a nice aluminum step-ladder. And, don't know where either
one is - I've got two sons, you see. Today, I found where my wire
welder is - the younger son was cleaning his van, and it was on the
ground. Haven't seen that thing in months, and the last time, it was in
the front of his pickup. So, if I need a ladder again, I'll have to
either buy another, or make one. Ah well. Children, you can't live
with 'em, you can't sell 'em.

JOAT
A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.
- Brander Matthews

Posted to rec.woodworking

I inherited 2 sets of old wooden extension ladders. Pretty neat ladders, very light weight, each of the 4 lengths is about 16' long. They are in excellent shape, splattered paint on them and the metal hardware has surface rust, still securely attached and fully functional. I'll never use them. Someday, when I get the shop straightened out, I'll hang them as/for display, along with the few other old tools.

Not sure if you can see them well. They are presently hanging from the ceiling rafters of the shop's garage. http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...7634192932767/

I'd be interested in a value of them, should anyone have an idea of their value.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

I painted houses with my Dad during my high school summers. He had a triple
section ladder that would jussst let me be able to paint the peaks on a two
story house. I learned to first paint around the ladder where it leaned against
the siding, then paint everything I could reach. By then the paint around the
ladder had dried so I would grab the ladder and throw myself backward and to the
side moving the ladder far enough that I could paint the spots where it had been
resting. He trained me to always step on the rung next to the rail and never in
the center of the rung. The slip board was made out of oak and seemed to weigh
about 700 pounds. He also liked to drip paint on you if you were working
underneath him.

Your pictures brought back some good memories of my Dad. Thanks.

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:35:36 -0700 (PDT), Sonny wrote:

I inherited 2 sets of old wooden extension ladders. Pretty neat ladders, very light weight, each of the 4 lengths is about 16' long. They are in excellent shape, splattered paint on them and the metal hardware has surface rust, still securely attached and fully functional. I'll never use them. Someday, when I get the shop straightened out, I'll hang them as/for display, along with the few other old tools.

Not sure if you can see them well. They are presently hanging from the ceiling rafters of the shop's garage. http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...7634192932767/

I'd be interested in a value of them, should anyone have an idea of their value.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy wrote:
I painted houses with my Dad during my high school summers. He had a
triple section ladder that would jussst let me be able to paint the
peaks on a two story house. I learned to first paint around the
ladder where it leaned against the siding, then paint everything I
could reach. By then the paint around the ladder had dried so I
would grab the ladder and throw myself backward and to the side
moving the ladder far enough that I could paint the spots where it
had been resting.

Why do I have visions of...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2013 6:58 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Roy wrote:
I painted houses with my Dad during my high school summers. He had a
triple section ladder that would jussst let me be able to paint the
peaks on a two story house. I learned to first paint around the
ladder where it leaned against the siding, then paint everything I
could reach. By then the paint around the ladder had dried so I
would grab the ladder and throw myself backward and to the side
moving the ladder far enough that I could paint the spots where it
had been resting.

Why do I have visions of...

Mike that's no different then you moving your backhoe using the bucket
instead of lifting the outriggers...

:-)

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy wrote:
I painted houses with my Dad during my high school summers. He had
a triple section ladder that would jussst let me be able to paint
the peaks on a two story house. I learned to first paint around the
ladder where it leaned against the siding, then paint everything I
could reach. By then the paint around the ladder had dried so I
would grab the ladder and throw myself backward and to the side
moving the ladder far enough that I could paint the spots where it
had been resting.

Why do I have visions of...

Mike that's no different then you moving your backhoe using the bucket
instead of lifting the outriggers...

It sure is - the backhoe is only a foot off the ground. That ladder...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Roy wrote:
I painted houses with my Dad during my high school summers. He had
a triple section ladder that would jussst let me be able to paint
the peaks on a two story house. I learned to first paint around the
ladder where it leaned against the siding, then paint everything I
could reach. By then the paint around the ladder had dried so I
would grab the ladder and throw myself backward and to the side
moving the ladder far enough that I could paint the spots where it
had been resting.

Why do I have visions of...

Mike that's no different then you moving your backhoe using the bucket
instead of lifting the outriggers...

It sure is - the backhoe is only a foot off the ground. That ladder...

It really wasn't so bad, Mike. You only had to jerk the ladder back about 3-4
inches while jerking it sideways about 4-6 inches. In three summers painting
houses with Dad, I only rode the ladder down one time. This type of fall is not
bad until the ladder gets to about 45 degrees. At this point the legs kick out
and the effects of gravity are no longer moderated by the friction of ladder on
house siding. There is ample time to mull over just how much this is going to
hurt before you hit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy wrote:

It really wasn't so bad, Mike. You only had to jerk the ladder back
about 3-4 inches while jerking it sideways about 4-6 inches. In
three summers painting houses with Dad, I only rode the ladder down
one time. This type of fall is not bad until the ladder gets to
about 45 degrees. At this point the legs kick out and the effects of
gravity are no longer moderated by the friction of ladder on house
siding. There is ample time to mull over just how much this is going
to hurt before you hit.

Years ago, I wasn't quite as bad when it comes to ladders. I could get up
them and down them, as long as I didn't hang out on one for too long. I was
in fire departments for years, and got up on more than a few roofs, to
ventilate structures, and often came back down doing a fireman's slide. Was
not too much of a problem. Over the years though, my fear of heights has
grown in an inverse relationship to the rate of growth of hair on my head,
and today I can't do squat on a ladder. If I feel the ladder flexing under
me, mental things start that are out of my control, and I just freeze up.
That's it - no more fun and adventure for Mike - I'm just stuck there. It's
insane how long it takes me to make my way back down.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Years ago, I wasn't quite as bad when it comes to ladders. I could
get up them and down them, as long as I didn't hang out on one for
too long. I was in fire departments for years, and got up on more
than a few roofs, to ventilate structures, and often came back down
doing a fireman's slide. Was not too much of a problem. Over the
years though, my fear of heights has grown in an inverse
relationship to the rate of growth of hair on my head, and today I
can't do squat on a ladder. If I feel the ladder flexing under me,
mental things start that are out of my control, and I just freeze
up. That's it - no more fun and adventure for Mike - I'm just stuck
there. It's insane how long it takes me to make my way back down.

I've always had a healthy respect for ladders and climbing them.

Keep your feet on the edge of the rungs, don't look down, etc.

As a sailor, it was sometimes necessary to climb the mast to
perform maintenance which can make climbing a ladder look like
a piece of cake.

Picture being 50 ft above the water, holding on to a 8"-12" mast
that is rocking back and forth with the wind and waves maybe
10-15 degrees off center.

It can be (is) purely a white knuckle experience.

20 years ago, I'd climb a mast.

Today, forget it.

The older I get, the closer to the ground I want to stay.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/19/2013 12:46 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I've always had a healthy respect for ladders and climbing them.

Keep your feet on the edge of the rungs, don't look down, etc.

As a sailor, it was sometimes necessary to climb the mast to
perform maintenance which can make climbing a ladder look like
a piece of cake.

Picture being 50 ft above the water, holding on to a 8"-12" mast
that is rocking back and forth with the wind and waves maybe
10-15 degrees off center.

It can be (is) purely a white knuckle experience.

20 years ago, I'd climb a mast.

Today, forget it.

The older I get, the closer to the ground I want to stay.

Lew

If God had meant men to fly we would have been born with a propeller.

twitch,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Roy wrote:

[...]

My problem with ladders is I tend to forget I'm on one ...

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 07:31:41 -0500, Swingman wrote:
My problem with ladders is I tend to forget I'm on one ...

Well hell, it's only a short step to reminding yourself.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:46:31 PM UTC+1, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I've always had a healthy respect for ladders and climbing them.
Keep your feet on the edge of the rungs, don't look down, etc.

Wise word, Lew! Did this chap proud, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGnCbRnmeYM
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:42:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:46:31 PM UTC+1, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I've always had a healthy respect for ladders and climbing them.
Keep your feet on the edge of the rungs, don't look down, etc.

Wise word, Lew! Did this chap proud, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGnCbRnmeYM

Hah! Listening to that gaffer talk about Health & Safety and climbing tall
things while drinking brought back a memory from 30 or so years ago. I was
working in a chemical plant, and for some reason one of the HS&E reps climbed to
the top of one of the distillation columns to inspect something during a
shutdown. While he was there a swarm of bees landed on the ladder at about the
60 foot mark.

He was stuck there for several hours, the problem being nobody could hear him
and realize he was in trouble. He was eventually noticed and since there were
lines hanging from the work being done at the top he could haul up a rubber
raincoat, gloves, face shield and duct tape. He was able to climb down after
donning the protective gear.

He was pretty hot. Apparently he had yelled and waved at several people, and
some had waved back thinking he was clowning around. Back in the early 80's you
were still allowed to have some fun at work, and this guy did have a reputation
for having fun. And no, it wasn't me. I never worked in HS&E.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:44:52 AM UTC+1, Roy wrote:

[...]

Now THAT is a brilliant excuse for getting out of just about anything!