Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Get rid of your ladder

Get one of these instead

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09...rds_gold/4.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 May 2010 23:35:32 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Get one of these instead

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09...rds_gold/4.htm

....and bank account.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Get one of these instead

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09...rds_gold/4.htm

I can rent a lot of scaffold for two grand...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Get one of these instead
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09...rds_gold/4.htm

Looks deadly unsteady, especially at 14'. Note there is no ballast on that
small-foot printed base. Good maybe for changing light bulbs and nothing
else. Hopefully looks are deceiving.

Lefty

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Get one of these instead
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09...rds_gold/4.htm

Might work on flat floor (if the battery doesn't go down half way
up),
but would be worthless out of doors.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lefty wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Get one of these instead
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09...rds_gold/4.htm

Looks deadly unsteady, especially at 14'. Note there is no ballast on that
small-foot printed base. Good maybe for changing light bulbs and nothing
else. Hopefully looks are deceiving.

Lefty

It appears to have about the same footprint as a regular stepladder
width. The depth of the footprint is shorter than a normal stepladder,
but since it's about the same as a normal stepladder width the overall
stability should be the same as the side to side stability of a
stepladder. The safety harness shown is utterly useless however, since
it definitely does not have the stability to support a user falling out
of the basket. Just another cutsey solution to a problem that doesn't
exist, designed by someone who has never actually used either a ladder
or a real aerial lift.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Bob-tx" wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...
Get one of these instead
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09...rds_gold/4.htm

Might work on flat floor (if the battery doesn't go down half way up),

Yeah, I wondered about that too. There's no mention of a manual crank for
lowering it if that happens. "Honey, can you bring me a ladder??"

but would be worthless out of doors.

I agree with the other poster who said this looks like it was designed by
somebody who's never used either a ladder or a real aerial lift.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

I agree with the other poster who said this looks like it was designed by
somebody who's never used either a ladder or a real aerial lift.

According to the video on the website

http://www.liftpod.com/en-US/Home.html

it's manufactured by the "world's #1 manufacturer of aerial lift
platforms."

I see it as a useful tool for certain industrial applications. A
universal ladder replacement it obviously isn't.

It actually looks a bit bigger and beefier in some of the website
pictures and video than it does in that press release spot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote
. Just another cutsey solution to a problem that doesn't
exist, designed by someone who has never actually used either a ladder
or a real aerial lift.

You must have missed this part:
Design: Geoff Campbell and Jason Watson of JLG Industries (Australia);

For the people that may have never heard of JLG
Welcome to JLG

JLG Industries, Inc. is the world's leading designer, manufacturer and
marketer of access equipment. The Company's diverse product portfolio
includes leading brands such as JLG® aerial work platforms; JLG, SkyTrak®
and Lull® telehandlers; and an array of complementary accessories that
increase the versatility and efficiency of these products.

JLG is an Oshkosh Corporation Company [NYSE: OSK].

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote
it's manufactured by the "world's #1 manufacturer of aerial lift
platforms."

I see it as a useful tool for certain industrial applications. A
universal ladder replacement it obviously isn't.

It actually looks a bit bigger and beefier in some of the website
pictures and video than it does in that press release spot.

Two years ago we bought two used lifts for the shop, self powered and higher
reach. Had we not bought them, I can see many uses around the shop for this
one. I also know a couple of people with large barn type buildings that
could use it. Limited use around the house though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 May 2010 23:00:58 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote
it's manufactured by the "world's #1 manufacturer of aerial lift
platforms."

I see it as a useful tool for certain industrial applications. A
universal ladder replacement it obviously isn't.

It actually looks a bit bigger and beefier in some of the website
pictures and video than it does in that press release spot.

Two years ago we bought two used lifts for the shop, self powered and higher
reach. Had we not bought them, I can see many uses around the shop for this
one. I also know a couple of people with large barn type buildings that
could use it. Limited use around the house though.

I could use it to paint my great room ceiling, if "working height" is the
height of the platform. I wouldn't pay for one just for that and I'd have no
place to put it, but it would come in handy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Pete C." wrote
. Just another cutsey solution to a problem that doesn't
exist, designed by someone who has never actually used either a ladder
or a real aerial lift.

You must have missed this part:
Design: Geoff Campbell and Jason Watson of JLG Industries (Australia);

For the people that may have never heard of JLG
Welcome to JLG

JLG Industries, Inc. is the world's leading designer, manufacturer and
marketer of access equipment. The Company's diverse product portfolio
includes leading brands such as JLG® aerial work platforms; JLG, SkyTrak®
and Lull® telehandlers; and an array of complementary accessories that
increase the versatility and efficiency of these products.

JLG is an Oshkosh Corporation Company [NYSE: OSK].

I didn't miss it, and I've used JLG's "real" products in the past. It
makes no difference to my assessment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote
it's manufactured by the "world's #1 manufacturer of aerial lift
platforms."

I see it as a useful tool for certain industrial applications. A
universal ladder replacement it obviously isn't.

It actually looks a bit bigger and beefier in some of the website
pictures and video than it does in that press release spot.

Two years ago we bought two used lifts for the shop, self powered and higher
reach. Had we not bought them, I can see many uses around the shop for this
one. I also know a couple of people with large barn type buildings that
could use it. Limited use around the house though.

So, what advantage would it have over a normal stepladder of the same
working height? The only advantage I see is in cleaning out your bank
account vs. the cost of a normal ladder. Perhaps if you had some insane
ADA mandate you provide assistive technology to allow an wheelchair
bound employee to change light bulbs...
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pete C. wrote:

So, what advantage would it have over a normal stepladder of the same
working height? ...

What I see would be the 360 access owing to the platform plus not
standing on rungs for long-duration tasks. Didn't notice load limit but
hands-free "climbing" to allow taking work material up w/ one would also
be handy often...

The potential disadvantage I see is the rearward tilt to maintain COG
within the base would make reach in the forward direction problematic
perhaps if needed access both directions; otherwise turn around from way
the guy in the picture is facing for a wall-access task.

And, a 14-ft "working" height will cover a lot of areas but in church
sanctuary where a small elevator prevents any lift I've tried from being
taken off the ground floor level it wouldn't reach...I've done the
ladder thingie in there tied off and it ain't for the weak of
heart...something like this that could do half-again the height would be
on my hit list in a heartbeat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote

So, what advantage would it have over a normal stepladder of the same
working height? The only advantage I see is in cleaning out your bank
account vs. the cost of a normal ladder. Perhaps if you had some insane
ADA mandate you provide assistive technology to allow an wheelchair
bound employee to change light bulbs...

There are plenty of locations in the shop where a stepladder will have too
large a footprint and an extension ladder has nothing to be leaned against.
You may also be using two hands to work on a fitting or control so standing
on a platform is much safer than standing on a ladder. Lifting a 30# damper
into place is much easier off a lift than a ladder.

Yes, it would also be safer changing six tubes in a fixture compared to a
ladder as they can all be put into the cage before going up. With a ladder,
you'd need either two people or make multiple trips up and down carrying the
glass tubes. Changing a ballast is another example. Yes, it can be done
from a ladder, but it is safer from a lift cage. Safety is important to us
and standing on a 3' square platform in a cage is always better than
standing on a 6" wide rung of a ladder when you need two hands. This is
especially true working over a machine where you have to reach a bit to the
side. A simple lean in a cage versus a dangerous lean off a ladder. No,
you cannot move the ladder either as it is over a machine.

I was easily able to justify buying the $5000 lifts (used price) we have now
so spending the $2200 for this is no big deal. .

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There are plenty of locations in the shop where a stepladder will have
too large a footprint...

Unfortunately, doesn't appear this lift would help resolve that problem
although does help w/ the no-wall situation and extension. (I'm fully
in agreement w/ all other points--the $5K I spent for the 40-ft boomlift
while not a vertical interior lift as these has been worth 10X that outlay.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
MIB MIB is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

[crap snipped]

Figgin' spammer.

I'll see your lift, and raise you.

Preview:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2bkophd

Or not:

http://tinyurl.com/2bkophd

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Have you tried the small Genie telescopic lifts? Not the self propelled
ones, but the simple manual roll around and set outrigger ones with a
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Pete C." wrote

[...]

Not sure which lifts you got, but all of the various styles I have used
have been significantly more capable than this little unit appears to
be.

The scissor lift type units are available with platforms that telescope
on one end to provide overhang access, and the platform size along with
the self propelled nature allow for very efficient lamp replacement
throughout a facility.

There are some very nice mini boom lifts with combination lower boom
elevation and upper boom telescoping, along with base rotation that
provide tremendous reach capabilities in a small footprint self
propelled unit.

There are simple vertical only, manual propulsion and outrigger units
that provide much better working height capacity than this little drill
powered unit. Possibly Genie has some design patents on them that have
caused JLG to resort to this feeble angle column design to try to get
some of that market share.

Then there is the good old rolling scaffold platform which works well in
a lot of cases, provides more platform area, and takes less storage
space when disassembled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 10:33*am, "Pete C." wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote
[...]

The old Varsity softball field at my daughter's school was right next
to the building. Video's of the game were shot from the single story
roof behind home plate.

The new field is "out in the open", far from the buildings, with no
place for the cameraman to "perch". Video's are now shot from ground
level.

I may suggest to the Sports Boosters that they raise some funds to
purchase one of these lifts to improve the quality of the videos. It
could also be used for the other sports that don't have elevated
locations to film from.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
"Pete C." wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Pete C." wrote
. Just another cutsey solution to a problem that doesn't
exist, designed by someone who has never actually used either a ladder
or a real aerial lift.

You must have missed this part:
Design: Geoff Campbell and Jason Watson of JLG Industries (Australia);

For the people that may have never heard of JLG
Welcome to JLG

JLG Industries, Inc. is the world's leading designer, manufacturer and
marketer of access equipment. The Company's diverse product portfolio
includes leading brands such as JLG® aerial work platforms; JLG, SkyTrak®
and Lull® telehandlers; and an array of complementary accessories that
increase the versatility and efficiency of these products.

JLG is an Oshkosh Corporation Company [NYSE: OSK].

I didn't miss it, and I've used JLG's "real" products in the past. It
makes no difference to my assessment.

So then JLG, who builds "real" lifts, has "never actually used one?"
Wasn't that your assessment?

I found the nuclear power plant account (see their website) interesting:
Used to take six hours to assemble scaffolding to turn a valve on the
ceiling, now it takes five minutes to position this thing. Like I said
before, it isn't a homeowner gadget, and it isn't for all businesses.
But it fills a sizable niche.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pete C. wrote:

Have you tried the small Genie telescopic lifts? Not the self propelled
ones, but the simple manual roll around and set outrigger ones with a
multi stage forklift style column.

Probably not every one manufactured, no. All the ones local rental had
or could get w/o excessive ship-in charges, yes... None would make it
into the elevator.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I may suggest to the Sports Boosters that they raise some funds to
purchase one of these lifts to improve the quality of the videos. It
could also be used for the other sports that don't have elevated
locations to film from.

Sounds like a place to get the local rental outfit(s) to make some
charitable contributions of donated rental time. I'd think this puppy
wouldn't be stable enough for that purpose, likely, but one of the
scissor lifts would do quite nicely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

In article .com,
"Pete C." wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Pete C." wrote
[...]

As I said, it looks like something designed by a person who has never
used a ladder or a "real" aerial lift. I stand by that assessment,
regardless of who may have designed it.

I found the nuclear power plant account (see their website) interesting:
Used to take six hours to assemble scaffolding to turn a valve on the
ceiling, now it takes five minutes to position this thing. Like I said
before, it isn't a homeowner gadget, and it isn't for all businesses.
But it fills a sizable niche.

I own scaffolding, and I can assure you that I can, working solo,
assemble scaffolding to reach anything that this silly little lift can
reach, in less than 30 minutes. Indeed I have assembled this size
scaffold solo numerous times for other applications.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Have you tried the small Genie telescopic lifts? Not the self propelled
ones, but the simple manual roll around and set outrigger ones with a
multi stage forklift style column.

Probably not every one manufactured, no. All the ones local rental had
or could get w/o excessive ship-in charges, yes... None would make it
into the elevator.

For situations like that, the place that has the access problem should
generally be buying the correct specialty lift to have on site all the
time. The lift needed probably isn't that expensive, but is just enough
outside of what the average renter needs for the rental places to carry.
Certainly I've seen Genie lifts that will fit through small doorways,
have low minimum heights and will readily load on their side into a
standard van for transport.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Get one of these instead

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09...rds_gold/4.htm

Very nice design and idea. At $2K, it looks reasonable enough to pay
more for the extra safety. I still need a 28-foot ladder to reach
the roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I may suggest to the Sports Boosters that they raise some funds to
purchase one of these lifts to improve the quality of the videos. It
could also be used for the other sports that don't have elevated
locations to film from.

Sounds like a place to get the local rental outfit(s) to make some
charitable contributions of donated rental time. I'd think this puppy
wouldn't be stable enough for that purpose, likely, but one of the
scissor lifts would do quite nicely.

Having spent a number of years shooting sports videos and used a number
of setups for aerial shots, by far the cheapest and easiest setup is
standard panel frame scaffolding. The trick to having a stable shot is
to use a couple of the basic 1" wide ratchet straps to pre-tension the
scaffolding and eliminate the usual wiggle you get.

Scaffolding also has the advantage of being inexpensive which can allow
you to setup scaffold platforms for an entire season of games if the
facility allows it. We were able to do this for one baseball series
where we were able to erect scaffolding behind the backstop fencing and
in front of the facilities press box / concession building in such a way
that it provided a huge 4'x17' platform at 18' high which gave a great
shot angle and also did not interfere with the view from the press box.

The scissors lifts are nice, however they also have inherent wiggle in
their joints, and unlike scaffolding, there isn't any viable way to
pre-tension and eliminate the wiggle.

I've also used standard bucket trucks, which work well, but have the
disadvantages of only being able to be used where you can get the truck
parked, and not allowing the camera person to readily lock off a cover
shot and come down for a break.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 3:42*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:

In article .com,
*"Pete C." wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Pete C." wrote
[...]

The article (and related video) state 30 *seconds*, not 30 minutes, to
assemble the lift once on site.

I don't know squat about scaffolding, so this is a serious question:

What would said scaffolding weigh and could a solo worker carry it to
the work site in one trip?

This article gives a little more detail about the design theory and
designer:

http://www.constructioncontractor.co...ld/502746.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pete C. wrote:

For situations like that, the place that has the access problem should
generally be buying the correct specialty lift to have on site all the
time. The lift needed probably isn't that expensive, but is just enough
outside of what the average renter needs for the rental places to carry.

Church and $$ for this capital outlay don't correlate...

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 9, 10:33 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote
[...]

I think 2-3 telephone poles with a tree house on top would likely be
cheaper. Have to make the bottom 8 feet of ladder removable or enclose
it in wire mesh when not in use, to eliminate the attractive nuisance
factor. Some budding Eagle Scout would probably be happy to do it for
his final project.

Don't know if they still do, seeing as how they now have all those
miniature droid cameras that can be strung up on wires and controlled
remotely. But for several years at Indy, they used to bring in a
long-reach manlift, almost a crane, and trap a cameraman OVER the track
on the main straightaway. Platform was guyed off in 4 directions to keep
it from flapping around. Poor SOB up there probably had to stop drinking
coffee 24 hours before the race, to make it 200 laps.

They did let him down during rain delays. Metal boom, and all that.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

For situations like that, the place that has the access problem should
generally be buying the correct specialty lift to have on site all the
time. The lift needed probably isn't that expensive, but is just enough
outside of what the average renter needs for the rental places to carry.

Church and $$ for this capital outlay don't correlate...

I don't know about that, they all appear to be high profit, low
overhead, tax free businesses to me...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 9, 10:33 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote
[...]

Good remote servo pan/tilt heads and remote lens controls on compact
cameras have made a lot of that type of staging obsolete for productions
that have real budgets. The equipment is expensive though, so the little
local productions have to rely on the old techniques.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MIB" wrote in message

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

[crap snipped]

Figgin' spammer.

Not really, you don't know me.

I'll see your lift, and raise you.

Preview:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2bkophd

Interesting, but not the same in terms of cost. It has a purpose between
the cheaper manually moved lift and a full sized scissor lift.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote

I was easily able to justify buying the $5000 lifts (used price) we have
now
so spending the $2200 for this is no big deal. .

Not sure which lifts you got, but all of the various styles I have used
have been significantly more capable than this little unit appears to
be.

The scissor lift type units are available with platforms that telescope
on one end to provide overhang access, and the platform size along with
the self propelled nature allow for very efficient lamp replacement
throughout a facility.

We have what you describe. The price difference is huge though and the use
depends on your needs. The smaller lift can be moved easily by one person
into small spaces. The larger lifts have to be move by self power or by a
fork lift to another elevation. They don't do steps very well. We have
one location that can be accessed only by a typical 36" door at a walkway or
a set of 6 stairs and the ceiling height is 16'. Getting a tall ladder in
there is a real bitch of a time.

There are some very nice mini boom lifts with combination lower boom
elevation and upper boom telescoping, along with base rotation that
provide tremendous reach capabilities in a small footprint self
propelled unit.

There are simple vertical only, manual propulsion and outrigger units
that provide much better working height capacity than this little drill
powered unit. Possibly Genie has some design patents on them that have
caused JLG to resort to this feeble angle column design to try to get
some of that market share.

Then there is the good old rolling scaffold platform which works well in
a lot of cases, provides more platform area, and takes less storage
space when disassembled.

They all have places where they work well, other places not so well.
Depends on your needs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

For situations like that, the place that has the access problem should
generally be buying the correct specialty lift to have on site all the
time. The lift needed probably isn't that expensive, but is just enough
outside of what the average renter needs for the rental places to carry.

Church and $$ for this capital outlay don't correlate...

I don't know about that, they all appear to be high profit, low
overhead, tax free businesses to me...

Well, I can assure you this one surely isn't any profit...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Get one of these instead

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09...rds_gold/4.htm

Very nice design and idea. At $2K, it looks reasonable enough to pay
more for the extra safety. I still need a 28-foot ladder to reach
the roof.

But if you put the ladder in the lift you could go to 42 feet

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 9, 10:33 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote
[...]

I don't think 'budget' is a problem at Indy, even with all the drama
queen theatrics in open-wheel racing the last decade or two...

But yeah, a local high school, unless they got a big grant somewhere, is
probably using whatever cast-off equipment they can scrounge, that the
local TV station took a tax write-off on. (although I have seen writeups
on some of the fancy radio-tv studios some of the high schools in rich
zip codes have, that look nicer than what a lot of college stations have.)
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
"Pete C." wrote:

I own scaffolding, and I can assure you that I can, working solo,
assemble scaffolding to reach anything that this silly little lift can
reach, in less than 30 minutes. Indeed I have assembled this size
scaffold solo numerous times for other applications.

If you care to, you may visit the website and read the article for
yourself. The 6 hour requirement is due to stringent safety guidelines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Get one of these instead
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09...rds_gold/4.htm

A used utility truck and bucket would be cheaper.

--
LSMFT

If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either..........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 May 2010 09:47:49 -0500, dpb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

[...]

Did you notice the "working height" disclaimer (normal height individual)? The
platform lifts only lifts to 7'7".

Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question Robert11 Home Repair 16 October 18th 14 01:07 PM
How not to use a Ladder;!.... tony sayer UK diy 55 November 24th 07 02:48 PM
Ladder safety HeyBub Home Repair 6 October 11th 07 09:15 PM
Loft ladder Terry Pinnell UK diy 14 October 27th 04 04:36 PM
Up a ladder John UK diy 6 May 22nd 04 11:51 PM