Posted to rec.woodworking

Default eWoodShop - Goldberg Hall Table - ++++Wood movement question

On 7/12/2013 6:06 PM, Swingman wrote:
Took long enough ... finally delivered this today:

I've been wondering about this for a while. Your table top consists (I
assume) of two pieces of 3/4" solid wood glued up as a panel, surrounded
by (two layers of) border.

I have considered trying to make something that is conceptually similar;
a table made of several slats of solid wood with some sort of border
around the edges. I have been advised against attaching an end piece to
cover the end grain of the main panel; expansion and contraction of the
panel boards will eventually break something, apparently.

But in this (very nice) piece, I see exactly that:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...031 842824786

Is it the full (four-sided) border that makes this OK somehow? (as
opposed to just covering the two end-grain edges). Or does the addition
of splines in the corners strengthen the border enough to counteract the
movement of the panel pieces?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

You do not want to frame a "solid wood" panel of any type in that manner.

You can get away with that type of framing in the photo when using a
veneered panel, made by gluing veneer on both sides of a dimensionally
stable substrate like MDF; or using some nicely figured plywood with the
veneer of your choice within the frame.

Because two sides of a "solid wood" framed panel are always going to be
"cross grain", you must make allowances for the inevitable cross grain
movement within any frame, like with a flat or raised panel door; or with
breadboard ends on the two cross grain ends on a table top, etc.

Also, be careful with the term "solid wood. In the commercial cabinet and
furniture industry, plywood is considered "solid wood".

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/27/2013 6:21 AM, Swingman wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

So the table top in the photo is veneer over some substrate?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Nothing mysterious/exotic ... 3/4" A1 Walnut Plywood (Domestic),
selected and cut for best grain effect.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Ah. It's ply. Now I understand. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 10:28:33 -0400, Greg Guarino
wrote:

Nothing mysterious/exotic ... 3/4" A1 Walnut Plywood (Domestic),
selected and cut for best grain effect.

Ah. It's ply. Now I understand. Thanks.

Don't be afraid to use plywood in the right application. It can look
every bit as good as the solid wood and be more stable. It woks well
with a solid wood edge trim.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

I'm curious. Does this mean that tables of similar design were not made
before plywood (and chipboard, mdf, etc.) existed?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

May be not, at least not with any great results. AAMOF plywood has been
around for thousands of years, the ancient Egyptians invented it IIRC.