Jim

Default Hall Table

I am trying to design a hall table with a curly maple center panel
surrounded by a mitered cherry frame. The center panel would be about 11
inches wide. Any opinions on home much room I need to leave in the groove
of the frame to allow for expansion and contraction of the center panel?

Jim
www.woodblog.com

Mike in Mystic

here's a handy site with a calculator - not sure how accurate it might be,
but might give you some idea:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/fvwwg/Mov...Calculator.htm

using this, a 11" wide maple board with a 14% moisture content (~75% RH in
ambient air) that changes to a 8% moisture content (~50% RH environment)
will contract about 0.22".

Mike

"Jim" wrote in message
I am trying to design a hall table with a curly maple center panel
surrounded by a mitered cherry frame. The center panel would be about 11
inches wide. Any opinions on home much room I need to leave in the groove
of the frame to allow for expansion and contraction of the center panel?

Jim
www.woodblog.com

patriarch

"Jim" wrote in
:

I am trying to design a hall table with a curly maple center panel
surrounded by a mitered cherry frame. The center panel would be about
11 inches wide. Any opinions on home much room I need to leave in the
groove of the frame to allow for expansion and contraction of the
center panel?

Jim
www.woodblog.com

Depending on where your skills and shop equipment are...

Think about cutting your own veneer, and laying it up over a stable
substrate. The special wood goes further, and it doesn't move nearly as
much.

This will possibly give you an excuse to upgrade your bandsaw, too.

Patriarch,
not quite there yet, but closing in on it...

Jim

Thanks for the info and link Mike. Nifty calculator. I think I know what I
want to do now.

Jim
www.woodblog.com

m...