patrick conroy

Default Sofa / Hall Table Height?

Looking to tackle something similar to :
http://www.djmarks.com/photo.asp?ima...phalltable.jpg

What's a reasonable overall height for the table? 30-ish inches?

It's actually going into a hall area, so no sense in me measuring our
sofas...

Swingman

"patrick conroy" wrote in message
Looking to tackle something similar to :

What's a reasonable overall height for the table? 30-ish inches?

It's actually going into a hall area, so no sense in me measuring our
sofas...

FWIW, the two that I've kept of the ones I've made are 29 1/2", and 34"
high. The taller one is my favorite thus far.

One is QS white oak and the smaller is walnut ... you may seem them if you
wish (poorly because I can never get enough light to use my dinosaur digital
in the hall) on my website project pages below.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Joe Wilding

I just finished a sofa table last night. I made mine 27" tall based on
another design i found on the web somewhere.
As i was building it, I keep freaking out that it was too short because the
legs just didn't look long enough. Once it all got assemebled, I quickly
confirmed that it was absolutely perfect in height. (I alwasy do the same
thing when i am building chairs. Chari legs as indivual pieces always look
way to small: like you building kids furniture. But once you get it all
done, they are just right.

Once something like a sofa table, that you are not going to sit at, I think
you have a lot of flexibility on the height. I think you could easily make
it 30 Inches and it would still look and work just fine.

--
Joe in Denver
my woodworking website:

"patrick conroy" wrote in message
Looking to tackle something similar to :

http://www.djmarks.com/photo.asp?ima...phalltable.jpg

What's a reasonable overall height for the table? 30-ish inches?

It's actually going into a hall area, so no sense in me measuring our
sofas...

Tom

Patrick wrote:Looking to tackle something similar to :

http://www.djmarks.com/photo.asp?ima...1_coppertophal

ltable.jpg

What's a reasonable overall height for the table? 30-ish inches?

It's actually going into a hall area, so no sense in me measuring our
sofas...

The height could be whatever you like, but see if you can get the top
somewhere other than testicle height! Tom
Work at your leisure!
patriarch

"patrick conroy" wrote in
:

Looking to tackle something similar to :
http://www.djmarks.com/photo.asp?ima...111_coppertoph
alltable.jpg

What's a reasonable overall height for the table? 30-ish inches?

It's actually going into a hall area, so no sense in me measuring our
sofas...

I did one at 30", another at just over 29". Both are just at the right
height to attract the attention of a curious grandson, 16 months old, who
loves to play with car keys anyone might leave there.

Play with a cardboard mockup in the space, maybe?

Patriarch

TWS

patrick conroy wrote:
Looking to tackle something similar to :
http://www.djmarks.com/photo.asp?ima...phalltable.jpg

What's a reasonable overall height for the table? 30-ish inches?

It's actually going into a hall area, so no sense in me measuring our
sofas...

I have a Cherry hallway table that I made from Norm Abrams' Shaker
Furniture book and it is 30 inches tall (48x16 inch top). My
sister-in-law has commissioned a Maple sofa table and I'm using the same
basic dimensions. 30 inches seems to be a nice height for both
applications.

What is the material used for the inset on the referenced table?

TWS

TWS

patrick conroy wrote:

Looking to tackle something similar to :
http://www.djmarks.com/photo.asp?ima...phalltable.jpg

What's a reasonable overall height for the table? 30-ish inches?

It's actually going into a hall area, so no sense in me measuring our
sofas...

Patrick, I just noticed that David Marks does sell plans for that piece
at http://www.djmarks.com/woodworks/111.asp in case you missed it.

TWS

Australopithecus scobis

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:43:49 +0000, Tom wrote:

The height could be whatever you like, but see if you can get the top
somewhere other than testicle height! Tom

Recall that the general advice for the height of a woodworking bench is
the distance from the floor to your palm held horizontally. I leave it as
an exercise for the reader to find other things that are at that same
height, and, for extra credit, enumerate the number of scarily sharp
round-handled objects that occupy the workbench top.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"

TeamCasa

I would suggest a sofa table, one designed to go behind a sofa and hold junk
the wife buys, needs to be a little shorter that a hall table. I think it
depends more on the sofa back height and the junk she plans on displaying.
The hall tables are generally taller - 30" -32" high.

Dave

"patrick conroy" wrote in message
Looking to tackle something similar to :

http://www.djmarks.com/photo.asp?ima...phalltable.jpg

What's a reasonable overall height for the table? 30-ish inches?

It's actually going into a hall area, so no sense in me measuring our
sofas...

patrick conroy

"TWS" wrote in message
m...

What is the material used for the inset on the referenced table?

Thanks - and thanks for the DJM plans. Yeah - I watch enough of his shows, I
owe him $15 for a set of plans. The top is patina'd (sp?) copper. On the
show, he cuts a copper sheet, adheres it to a substrate (Baltic Birch, IIRC)
and then covers it with a brew to get the patina effect.

That man is amazing...

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:43:56 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

"patrick conroy" wrote in
:

Looking to tackle something similar to :
http://www.djmarks.com/photo.asp?ima...111_coppertoph
alltable.jpg

What's a reasonable overall height for the table? 30-ish inches?

It's actually going into a hall area, so no sense in me measuring our
sofas...

I did one at 30", another at just over 29". Both are just at the right
height to attract the attention of a curious grandson, 16 months old, who
loves to play with car keys anyone might leave there.

Play with a cardboard mockup in the space, maybe?

Patriarch

That is some very good advice. Especially if you are putting the piece in
a hallway -- you might find that the piece needs to be adjusted in size for
the location.

TWS

Mark & Juanita wrote:

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:43:56 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

"patrick conroy" wrote in
:

Looking to tackle something similar to :
http://www.djmarks.com/photo.asp?ima...111_coppertoph
alltable.jpg

What's a reasonable overall height for the table? 30-ish inches?

It's actually going into a hall area, so no sense in me measuring our
sofas...

I did one at 30", another at just over 29". Both are just at the right
height to attract the attention of a curious grandson, 16 months old, who
loves to play with car keys anyone might leave there.

Play with a cardboard mockup in the space, maybe?

Patriarch

That is some very good advice. Especially if you are putting the piece in
a hallway -- you might find that the piece needs to be adjusted in size for
the location.

Good point. My hallway table was actually made for another location and
I lucked out that the height was perfect for our hallway and nicely
hid the air duct for the heat pump (without obstructing the air flow).

TWS

patriarch

TWS wrote in
m:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:43:56 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

"patrick conroy" wrote in
:

Looking to tackle something similar to :
http://www.djmarks.com/photo.asp?ima...s/111_copperto
ph alltable.jpg

snip
Play with a cardboard mockup in the space, maybe?

Patriarch

That is some very good advice. Especially if you are putting the
piece in
a hallway -- you might find that the piece needs to be adjusted in
size for the location.

Good point. My hallway table was actually made for another location
and
I lucked out that the height was perfect for our hallway and nicely
hid the air duct for the heat pump (without obstructing the air flow).

TWS

And it is always easier to change the cardboard model to suit SWMBO's
design whims than to modify something, already completed, in quilted
bubinga and patinated copper.

Patriarch

jev

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 17:11:27 GMT, "patrick conroy"
wrote:

Looking to tackle something similar to :
http://www.djmarks.com/photo.asp?ima...phalltable.jpg

What's a reasonable overall height for the table? 30-ish inches?

It's actually going into a hall area, so no sense in me measuring our
sofas...

I made a version of that table with a few mods but it is actually 36"
high(I don't think I changed that) and I'm quite happy with the
height. The table I made is for dispaly of various SW Indian pottery
pieces I own. Some of these are white and some black so I made the
interior panel reversible - one side is veneered with a waterfall
bubinga(for lighter colored pieces) and the other is 4 way book
matched pommelle maple(for darker pieces).

If i ever replace the digital camera i've lost i'll post a few photos.