Peter Bogiatzidis

Default OT? Appropriate hall table apron size?

Hello,

I'm planning on building a hall / sofa table that will be approximately 12"
D x 72" L and stand 36" H. From what I think I've learned so far, those
dimensions probably break the rules of the Golden Ratio. That said, I was
looking for suggestions as to an acceptable apron dimension, so as to not
have the table look totally out of scale. Due to its size, I was thinking
along the lines of a 5 1/2" apron.

I had planned on using 2" x 2" stock to make tapered legs ( 2" to 1" ), but
may have to just settle for square ones. Keep in mind that this is a
learning experience as well.

Granted the table will reside behind a sofa and won't be seen for the most
part, but there's no sense in building it the wrong way. Better of to at
least start out in the ball park and learn from that experience. So, any
tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply.

Peter.

I think 5 1/2 inches sounds about right. One thing that I like to do
is make a cardboard mockup of the table. Just cut up some cardboard to
the right size and tape it together. Doing so will make it a lot
easier to see if everything looks in proportion. You could also take a
sheet of plywood or mdf and draw the front view to scale.

Jim
www.woodblog.com

John Girouard

Peter Bogiatzidis wrote:
[...]

I know you weren't necessarily asking about the legs, but tapering down to
1" seems to me like that'd be a little to small for a 3' x 6' table.

-John in NH
Edwin Pawlowski

"Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote in message

I had planned on using 2" x 2" stock to make tapered legs ( 2" to 1" ),
but may have to just settle for square ones. Keep in mind that this is a
learning experience as well.

Don't "settle" for anything you don't want. Tapered legs are really not
hard to do and add a lot of visual appeal. I'd go with a 1/2" taper on the
inside at least.

Ping Pong Table [email protected] Woodworking 8 September 24th 04 09:26 PM
Sofa / Hall Table Height? patrick conroy Woodworking 14 September 10th 04 05:35 PM
Hall Table Jim Woodworking 3 September 3rd 04 11:41 PM
An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM
How wide an apron for a 52" long table? Charles Krug Woodworking 2 October 7th 03 12:48 AM