Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Another story from long ago

I must be getting old, I've been in a relflective mood...

Once upon a time, I did a 3 year stint as an electrician, this was mixed
in with various carpentry and masonry jobs.

We did mostly industrial work but filled in with new house work and
rewiring old houses.

One job was the rewiring of a 30's era house, the lady that owned the
place had a minor electrical fire and wanted everything replaced and
brought up to code, all light fixtures with the exception of one was to be
replaced.

The fixture in question was a huge, many socketed affair made of cast
brass, probably weighed 50 lbs, a price was agreed on to repair the
fixture and one rainy day work began.

Some one in the past had painted the fixture with a brown enamel paint,
we disassembled the fixture, soaked the whole thing in stripper. cleaned
it up, polished it with a buffing wheel, reassmbled with new wiring and
sockets, and finally give the whole thing a clear coat to prevent
tarnishing.

It was a work of art and shone like new money.

Made the trip to hang the refurbished fixture and unboxed it in front
of the owner, she turned white, then red, sputtering in anger
saying that it had to be painted brown.

A can of brown spray paint returned the fixture to its former
tacky glory and everyone was happy.

Main lesson learned: never assume anything when dealing
with a client.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/4/2013 9:10 AM, basilisk wrote:

Main lesson learned: never assume anything when dealing
with a client.

Especially when it requires doing something stupid/unsafe. That is when
you can righteously thank gawd for building codes, and inspectors.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 09:30:21 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 3/4/2013 9:10 AM, basilisk wrote:

Main lesson learned: never assume anything when dealing
with a client.

Especially when it requires doing something stupid/unsafe. That is when
you can righteously thank gawd for building codes, and inspectors.

The county I live in has no rural permitting/inspection structure, there
are some rules that apply to general contractors for construction for
resale.

Basically, anyone can build anything on their property for their use in
any way they see fit, this is nice from a freedom point of view, but many
of these properties eventually come on the market and leave buyers with a
pile of crap that is expensive to fix.

I am never in favor of more gov't intervention, but the unsuspecting
buyer can get burned badly.

When i worked in the trades here, there was no enforcement of any branch
of building codes, the only thing that controlled the quality of the work
was a GC's moral character.

The electrician I worked with held a master license first in TX and then
in AL, he was a sticlker for abiding by the code. We lost a lot of work to
those willing to cut corners.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/4/2013 10:07 AM, basilisk wrote:
[...]

Know the feeling ... those who have the ultimate responsibility, and
LIABILITY, call the shots ... it would be foolish to expect otherwise,
something not always appreciated by clients, architects and other
wannabe builders. (Architects are the worst, and I have turned down many
a job because of the project Architect)

Also, there is an upside to rigidly enforced building codes that the
fly-by-night GC doesn't appreciate it:

... not only does it protect the home owner, it protects the
builder/GC in just as many, if not more, ways, particularly when it
comes to enforcing performance clauses in contracts ... it is
impossible/futile for a subcontractor to argue if his works fails to
pass inspection because it does not meet code.

That alone has done wonders for job site relationships and harmony in
pursuit of getting the job done right, if you know what I mean ... it
takes a bit of "BTDT" to appreciate that point fully.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/4/2013 10:10 AM, basilisk wrote:

it had to be painted brown.

Yup. One man's beauty is another's trash. And vice versa.

The very first non-critical task I did when we bought our house was to
replace the light fixture from over the kitchen table. My wife and I
shuddered a little each time we looked at it, especially when it was
lit. It was wrought iron, designed to look like a bouquet of
long-stemmed flowers that splayed out on curving stems "tied" together
in the middle. It was painted in numerous loud colors, each flower (10
or so) with a candelabra bulb.

I put it out with the recyclables at maybe 9pm for the next morning's
trash pickup. It wasn't out there fifteen minutes before someone had
snatched it up. I picture the picker chuckling at his good fortune.
"These people musta been CRAZY to throw this out". "Hey honey, you're
never gonna be-LIEVE what I got for free!".

And I'm glad frankly that someone got some use out of it. Someone other
than us, of course.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote:

The county I live in has no rural permitting/inspection structure,
there
are some rules that apply to general contractors for construction
for
resale.

Basically, anyone can build anything on their property for their use
in
any way they see fit, this is nice from a freedom point of view, but
many
of these properties eventually come on the market and leave buyers
with a
pile of crap that is expensive to fix.

I'm surprised the insurance companies will write policies given the
above.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"basilisk" wrote:

The county I live in has no rural permitting/inspection structure,
there
are some rules that apply to general contractors for construction
for
resale.

Basically, anyone can build anything on their property for their use
in
any way they see fit, this is nice from a freedom point of view, but
many
of these properties eventually come on the market and leave buyers
with a
pile of crap that is expensive to fix.

I'm surprised the insurance companies will write policies given the
above.

That is one of the main reasons why, for any house I build in a rural area
with no code or inspection requirements, I hire, FBO homeowner, a licensed,
third party inspector to inspect every step of the construction process
before going on to the next, including a formal Building Final.

Not that I need one, but It is naive to think that any third party, from
insurer to future homebuyer, is going to take the word of any GC that
everything was done correctly. Not only does it benefit me as a double
check, but the client is protected, now and in the future.

I also insist the PE make foundation and framing visits so that he can
issue 'wet stamp', "As Built" letters for both foundation and framing, as
well as I photographically document all Engineering plan specification
requirements for both structures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...RgCOaP_82H94IW

Only a damned fool, or a crook, would do otherwise.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 13:50:32 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"basilisk" wrote:

The county I live in has no rural permitting/inspection structure,
there
are some rules that apply to general contractors for construction
for
resale.

Basically, anyone can build anything on their property for their use
in
any way they see fit, this is nice from a freedom point of view, but
many
of these properties eventually come on the market and leave buyers
with a
pile of crap that is expensive to fix.

I'm surprised the insurance companies will write policies given the
above.

Lew

Not a problem getting insurance, but it is expensive relative to
city dwellers, my homeowners would be 1/3 it's present cost if
I lived in the city. And that is with a large deductable that would leave
me almost on my own should the roof get blown off.

Not surprising, the nearest accredited fire station is 14 miles away,
and it isn't a manned firehouse.

There are some downsides to living out and away, but worth it IMHO.

With all that said, ALFA, one of the big insurers in AL, culled 60,000
older properties in AL last year. State Farm picked up most of the slack
and life goes on.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

How does one get financing to build or purchase a house with no
certification as to it soundness[for lack of a better word]?
CP
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Only a damned fool, or a crook, would do otherwise.

There seems to be an abundance of both from what I've seen. Sometimes it is
hard to tell if ignorance, dollars, or dishonesty are driving the decisions
and actions... in other cases it is clearly all three. The homeowners I feel
sorry for are those who try to do the right thing and bring in inspectors
and professionals and still end up with problems. The stories I'm hearing
from associates in FL suggest that the elderly are being preyed upon with
pretty much no recourse. Things may look OK cosmetically but fail quickly...

I wonder how the masses in the younger generations can avoid being taken
since they themselves generally do not know how to use tools or understand
how things work. It is probably fair to say that in general the trades have
become "installers" rather than "builders" and that leads to problems on
both sides. I've had discussions with my sons about what their friends and
classmates can do and the response is that they generally don't know how to
do anything... except push buttons perhaps. My sales and service business
owning friends have been saying for years they cannot find youth whom know
enough to train let alone possess skills. Perhaps in the future the ruling
class will be those who can actually do something... everyone will be at
their mercy! LOL

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 15:47:11 -0800, Pilgrim wrote:

How does one get financing to build or purchase a house with no
certification as to it soundness[for lack of a better word]? CP

overwhelming collateral

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/4/2013 5:47 PM, Pilgrim wrote:
How does one get financing to build or purchase a house with no
certification as to it soundness[for lack of a better word]?

It is always possible to get a third party inspection ... AAMOF, it is
common practice here before buying one, even a brand new home, to pay
for a third party home inspection.

The cost is generally in the neighborhood of US$300, and well worth the
expense for the buyer.

Now, if you could just say the same for Realtors ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 14:24:51 -0500, Greg Guarino wrote:

[...]

LOL,

At a yard sale local to where I work, there was a picture
frame made from a toilet seat, recessed in back and glass
cut to fit hole. That takes recycling just a hair too far.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

[...]

That would be a switch ...

Actually, I'm surprised, at least around this neck of the woods, with
the increasing sophistication of both buyers and remodel clients, even
first time home buyers.

I originally thought that it might be TV that was driving that relative
sophistication, but after watching a few of those show ... Naaahh, don't
think so.

I'm more inclined to think now, that those who can afford housing and
remodeling are obviously the few who have the money; and most of those
(elderly excluded) who were smart enough to make it in these times, are
also smart enough to keep it.

So far I can't attribute my observation to anything else ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/4/2013 6:28 PM, basilisk wrote:
At a yard sale local to where I work, there was a picture
frame made from a toilet seat, recessed in back and glass
cut to fit hole. That takes recycling just a hair too far.

Where the photo of the ex goes?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 18:31:13 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 3/4/2013 6:28 PM, basilisk wrote:
At a yard sale local to where I work, there was a picture frame made
from a toilet seat, recessed in back and glass cut to fit hole. That
takes recycling just a hair too far.

Where the photo of the ex goes?

That was the first thing that crossed my mind as well,
but I don't have a picture of her

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:5135171c$0$7657$c3e8da3
:

"basilisk" wrote:

The county I live in has no rural permitting/inspection structure, there
are some rules that apply to general contractors for construction for
resale.

Basically, anyone can build anything on their property for their use in
any way they see fit, this is nice from a freedom point of view, but many
of these properties eventually come on the market and leave buyers
with a pile of crap that is expensive to fix.

I'm surprised the insurance companies will write policies given the
above.

Why does that surprise you? It would be surprising only if they did so without adjusting the
premiums to take those factors into account.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/4/2013 7:38 PM, basilisk wrote:
On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 18:31:13 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 3/4/2013 6:28 PM, basilisk wrote:
At a yard sale local to where I work, there was a picture frame made
from a toilet seat, recessed in back and glass cut to fit hole. That
takes recycling just a hair too far.

Where the photo of the ex goes?

That was the first thing that crossed my mind as well,
but I don't have a picture of her

You flushed them?

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 4, 2013 4:32:40 PM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...RgCOaP_82H94IW

And that's just the chicken coup, right?

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 19:50:49 -0500, FrozenNorth wrote:

On 3/4/2013 7:38 PM, basilisk wrote:
On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 18:31:13 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 3/4/2013 6:28 PM, basilisk wrote:
At a yard sale local to where I work, there was a picture frame made
from a toilet seat, recessed in back and glass cut to fit hole. That
takes recycling just a hair too far.

Where the photo of the ex goes?

That was the first thing that crossed my mind as well,
but I don't have a picture of her

You flushed them?

Nah, I walked out with the clothes on my back and left everything
else, including paid for brick house and vehicles.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:

Basically, anyone can build anything on their property for their use
in any way they see fit, this is nice from a freedom point of view,
but many of these properties eventually come on the market and leave
buyers with a pile of crap that is expensive to fix.

Just one man's opinion of course, but I'm fine with that. The couple of
thoughts that I have on that matter are that it should not be the business
of any government agency, what the resale issues with any private property
are. Beyond that, I believe that if a prospective buyer elects to be so
uninformed as to be generally unaware, then they should simply hire a home
inspector for a few hundred bucks, to ensure their investment. That should
not be a consdieration or a concern of building permits, or government
agencies. Like I said - it's just my opinion.

I am never in favor of more gov't intervention, but the unsuspecting
buyer can get burned badly.

That's why home inspectors are worth their weight in gold, or the simple few
hundred bucks they charge.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pilgrim wrote:

How does one get financing to build or purchase a house with no
certification as to it soundness[for lack of a better word]?

The same way they get financing to purchase any house that is older than
about 10 years old. There is a good chance that most, or a lot of homes
over 10 years old have been altered in some way, and likely not documents
(often not even requiring an inspection process), so the original CO is out
of date. In many areas the presence of a CO is not even all that
meaningful. It does not certify soundness.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote in news:a_aZs.214031$Yp1.147753@en-
nntp-13.dc1.easynews.com:

LOL,

At a yard sale local to where I work, there was a picture
frame made from a toilet seat, recessed in back and glass
cut to fit hole. That takes recycling just a hair too far.

basilisk

That's one of those shock things... The appeal isn't in the recycling,
but the surprise someone gets when they see it for the first time.

I was looking at pinball machine parts yesterday, and there was one place
selling a decal set so you can decorate your toilet with a pinball theme.
(It was in the appropriate section, though: Stupid things you don't
need.) DAGS for "Poop bumper" if you're so inclined.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 20:54:37 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

basilisk wrote:

[...]

I've never met one who was WORTH a few hundred bucks, personally.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 18:20:23 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 3/4/2013 5:47 PM, Pilgrim wrote:
How does one get financing to build or purchase a house with no
certification as to it soundness[for lack of a better word]?

It is always possible to get a third party inspection ... AAMOF, it is
common practice here before buying one, even a brand new home, to pay
for a third party home inspection.

The cost is generally in the neighborhood of US$300, and well worth the
expense for the buyer.

Now, if you could just say the same for Realtors ...

Worth it if you get a good one. I've heard many horror stories about
things inspectors missed and became problematic months later.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/4/2013 10:10 AM, basilisk wrote:

it had to be painted brown.

Yup. One man's beauty is another's trash. And vice versa.

The very first non-critical task I did when we bought our house was to
replace the light fixture from over the kitchen table. My wife and I
shuddered a little each time we looked at it, especially when it was
lit. It was wrought iron, designed to look like a bouquet of
long-stemmed flowers that splayed out on curving stems "tied" together
in the middle. It was painted in numerous loud colors, each flower (10
or so) with a candelabra bulb.

My former step father in law generaled the log house my wife wound up with a
couple of years ago. In addition to his general stupidity and incompetency
he must have been short in the esthetics department too because he used 3'
shop-type fluorescent fixtures as vanity lights in all the bathrooms.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 23:38:56 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 20:01:04 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 21:47:30 -0500, Bill
wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 20:54:37 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
That's why home inspectors are worth their weight in gold, or the
simple few hundred bucks they charge.
I've never met one who was WORTH a few hundred bucks, personally.
I have - for those who don't know what to look for, or know anything about
construction.

The house inspection I paid for led to a new roof at no cost to me (it
was still under warranty to the original purchasers, the sellers).

The warranty system finally worked for someone? Wonderful!

If you know less than nothing about construction or what to look
for, someone who knows nothing is still an improvement, I guess.

Personally, I'd get a plumber, an electrician, and a good handiman or
contractor to look it over if I didn't have the knowledge myself. MOST
home inspectors have no in-depth knowledge of either electrical,
plumbing, framing, concrete, or finishing.

That's true. Certification for home inspection licensing is lax.
Try to find one who is ex-Trades for your best bet. Your ploy is a
good one, clare. I've only known one inspector who tested outlets for
polarity and function, and he retired.

The guy who inspected this house didn't even tell me that all the
outlets were 2-prong. I had to install all new outlets myself. That
would be too big a job for the masses.

I painted the walls pure white and put in all new white switches and
outlets, then I ran three 240v outlets in the shop. I had plenty of
breakers to work with because I took out all the 240v baseboard
heating.

I was able to save some money by helping install a new Carrier 96%
efficient furnace. I ran lights in the attic where they installed it
and ran the 240v wiring with disconnect for the a/c unit outside.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 18:20:23 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 3/4/2013 5:47 PM, Pilgrim wrote:
How does one get financing to build or purchase a house with no
certification as to it soundness[for lack of a better word]?

It is always possible to get a third party inspection ... AAMOF, it is
common practice here before buying one, even a brand new home, to pay
for a third party home inspection.

The cost is generally in the neighborhood of US$300, and well worth the
expense for the buyer.

Now, if you could just say the same for Realtors ...

Worth it if you get a good one. I've heard many horror stories about
things inspectors missed and became problematic months later.

There are vastly many more "horror stories" to be told from not having an
inspection.

Many states certify home inspectors, who are generally required to carry
E&O insurance along with the certification. If so, you have a better chance
of mitigation than otherwise.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/5/13 9:33 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
The guy who inspected this house didn't even tell me that all the
outlets were 2-prong. I had to install all new outlets myself. That
would be too big a job for the masses.

That usually occurred in homes where they ran the electric without ground.
I hope you didn't put grounded outlets on an ungrounded system. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Maybe where you live, but not everywhere. New York has very stringent
requirements for certification which requires years of working under a
certified inspector, testing, etc. Personal work ethic not withstanding,
these guys probably know more about this stuff than the guys who state that
they don't.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 21:43:26 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

That's true. Certification for home inspection licensing is lax.
Try to find one who is ex-Trades for your best bet. Your ploy is a
good one, clare. I've only known one inspector who tested outlets for
polarity and function, and he retired.

Maybe where you live, but not everywhere. New York has very stringent
requirements for certification which requires years of working under a
certified inspector, testing, etc. Personal work ethic not withstanding,
these guys probably know more about this stuff than the guys who state that
they don't.

Are you talking about the municipal/town/government building
inspectors or the typical home inspector you hire when you are buying?
In some places, to be a private home inspector all you need is a
business card and yellow pages listing. No training, no testing.

When I bought my first (and second) house, the only inspection was to
have your father or uncle take a look at the place. There was no
formal home inspection or inspectors. This is a relatively new step
in the buying process.

"Look honey, they have granite counter tops, lets buy this house"
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Maybe where you live, but not everywhere. New York has very
stringent requirements for certification which requires years of
working under a certified inspector, testing, etc. Personal work
ethic not withstanding, these guys probably know more about this
stuff than the guys who state that they don't.

Are you talking about the municipal/town/government building
inspectors or the typical home inspector you hire when you are buying?
In some places, to be a private home inspector all you need is a
business card and yellow pages listing. No training, no testing.

Home Inspectors, as the conversation has spoken of - not town/municipality
officials. Note that I specified NY state. Such is not the case in NY, and
in many other places around the country.

When I bought my first (and second) house, the only inspection was to
have your father or uncle take a look at the place. There was no
formal home inspection or inspectors. This is a relatively new step
in the buying process.

Quite true.

"Look honey, they have granite counter tops, lets buy this house"

Or worse - "Look hone, we could..."

--

-Mike-