Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Another story from long ago

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 23:38:56 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 20:01:04 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 21:47:30 -0500, Bill
wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 20:54:37 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
That's why home inspectors are worth their weight in gold, or
the simple few hundred bucks they charge.
I've never met one who was WORTH a few hundred bucks,
personally.
I have - for those who don't know what to look for, or know
anything about construction.

The house inspection I paid for led to a new roof at no cost to me
(it was still under warranty to the original purchasers, the
sellers).

The warranty system finally worked for someone? Wonderful!

If you know less than nothing about construction or what to look
for, someone who knows nothing is still an improvement, I guess.

Personally, I'd get a plumber, an electrician, and a good handiman or
contractor to look it over if I didn't have the knowledge myself.
MOST home inspectors have no in-depth knowledge of either electrical,
plumbing, framing, concrete, or finishing.

That's true. Certification for home inspection licensing is lax.
Try to find one who is ex-Trades for your best bet. Your ploy is a
good one, clare. I've only known one inspector who tested outlets for
polarity and function, and he retired.

Maybe where you live, but not everywhere. New York has very stringent
requirements for certification which requires years of working under a
certified inspector, testing, etc. Personal work ethic not withstanding,
these guys probably know more about this stuff than the guys who state that
they don't.

--

-Mike-